What Would You Expect From A Dog Walker?

whitka

Hi all! So I want to start my own dog walking business as well as pet sitting ( going to peoples houses and feeding, playing with there pets ) and would like to know what you would expect from a dog walker and anything that I should be doing. For those that do have there own dog walking business I would love to hear how you started and how you run it. Thanks :)

:) best of luck :)

I would like to see references.

I would be very pleased if you asked to see proof of vacc/tire testing

To see you confident in the face of barking and bouncing dogs

To realise that you DO know local areas which may suit .

To be impressed that you take notes ..have a file on each of my dogs , with photos , and any relevant vet /behaviour info . incl their local vet contact ..

It would really help me if you looked professional - with all the gear needed ..bags/spare collars/muzzles/leashes- just in case..

That's all I can think of now .. ;)

I haven't used these services before but have been thinking about it as I'm due for a holiday soon.

If someone was commng in to my home and I was trusting them with my beloved dogs I would expect to see police check documentation, references and I would also want a basic dog behavioural course completed. (Do they even have them?).

By that I mean Id like to think they can recognise stress or anxiety behaviours etc like lip licking, body shake etc

Good luck with your new venture!

Edited by Roova

i recently saw an ad in a pet store of a dog walker advertising their services. The ad didn't fill me with confidence as it was really casual and really only high lighted a love of dogs as to their commitment to the job. I agree with Perse; I'd want to know that the walker presented themselves in a professional light right from the get go. So an ad inviting people to inquire, needs to address some of the things Perse listed even though i'd expect the dog walker/sitter to bring those things up in a meeting.

I use a walker. He had to be willing to come at 7am for the first few walks so I could hand the dogs over to him and see how they reacted, although the usual routine is later in the day. He is contactable by email, phone and sms and sends me photos of some of the walks. He also has insurance and training quals and experience, his main business is as a trainer. So far so good.

Edited by Diva

Some of the "dog walking" services I've seen out there just bundle up a pack of unrelated dogs into a van, drive to the local off lead park, and just let the dogs run wild there for a couple of hours. This is NOT the kind of service I'd pay money to have done.

A friend of mine has a lovely dog walker who only walks her dogs - and the dogs absolutely adore her to death. There are 2 dogs with differing ages and fitness levels, so the dog walker walks them separately to accommodate this fact. Sometimes she will walk the younger dog on its own for an hour, then go back to my friend's house and get the older dog to join them for the last half hour or so of the walk. The dogs are both happy with this arrangement, and they are getting the levels of exercise they both need without any worry that other dogs will mess with them.

T.

Thanks everyone, what kind insurance should I be looking at? At the moment the only references I would have are from family members. I'm currently doing my cert 3 in dog training with ndtf and competed with my dog in obedience and agility so hopefully that's a plus for me. I wont be taking groups of dogs out I want to give them the attention they need. At this stage cause I'm still working I'd be walking them at night, do you think this would be an issue? I do get Monday's off so can take for walks during the day then. At this stage cause it would be a new business I just don't want to lose money by suddenly leaving my job if that makes sense, till I get more busy but I do want to this for work and leave my current job.

Guest donatella

I would want to know how you would handle on off leash dog attack and do you know where the nearest vets are in the area

I've been pet sitting and dog walking for 11 years.

The only time it's ever been enough to cover all my living expenses has been at Christmas time, the rest of the time it's busy but not enough to live off

Hey Whitka,

I thought the attached blogpost might be of interest to you:

http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/what-do-dog-walkers-need-to-know

A lot of good points have been mentioned before (insurance etc)

If you were to drive the dogs around, I'd expect each of them to be crated individually in your vehicle (I'm really uneasy with multiple dogs in close proximity in a confined space). Also I'd want my dogs to be on leash at al, times, and to avoid areas where they can be rushed at by off leash dogs.

I'd expect them to listen to what I said, I had awful troubles with 3 dog walkers I paid to walk my dogs so gave up.

I just wanted my old dogs walked in the middle of the day around the block, I said to the 2nd walker "you cannot run with this old dog, please don't walk her too quickly or too far" - I was very clear but she ended up with a cruciate ligament injury after he admitted that he jogged along with her ....

That's just one example. The comments above are also very important, legally in NSW you can only have 4 dogs under your control in a public place - this law was brought in because too many dog walkers had large groups of out of control dogs.

So many worries when you ask others to look after your animals, I trust very few to do a good job.

Doggie Day Care is another example. I don't know if anyone here has read the terrible story of a Cavalier that was mauled to death last week at a centre in North West Sydney? Very disturbing.

I like the sound of the trainer Diva uses. I would be wary of a walker who turned up with his own equipment including muzzles. I would also not be happy to have my dogs taken anywhere in a car. I have a photo (Sorry I don't know how to post them) of a dog walker with about twelve dogs all attached to her in various ways, some with muzzles and some on double leads. I have no doubt she thought she was being clever but if I owned one of those dogs I would be horrified. The other day I saw dog walkers on their way to the dog park - three of them with six dogs each. I would want my dogs walked by themselves. I found this photo below which is similar to the one I have.

20140326_101924_270x480-150x150.jpg

If I were to hire a dog walker I would just like them to go to my house and take my dog for a short 20-30 minute walk around my area on a leash. Just so the dogs would get a break from the house during the day. Luckily I work a split shift at work so I go home for a few hours in the middle of the day. I would expect the dog walker to have insurance, be a member of some sort of organization that rates their trustworthiness (like with house sitters) and have some sort of education in canine first aid, behaviour and training.

Sorry to be negative but yes i think that walking at night would be a significant issue. Almost all of my clients who use walking services of any kind do so because they want their dogs day broken up. They are home themselves at night so don't want the dog gone then.

You need public liability insurance which can be expensive but i wouldn't touch someone else's dog without it.

I would be wary of a walker who turned up with his own equipment including muzzles.

..I would , and do always carry a muzzle with me ! if a dog is injured ..a muzzle is essential to stop bites ......muzzles can also be very handy if a dog freaks out for any reason ... same as I usually have a small slip lead with me - one never knows when it may need to be used.

Playing devil's advocate here ;)

The person you saw with all those dogs? perhaps owners provided the gear so their dogs could be at least walked? maybe they cannot walk them safely themselves, and this person has proved capable ? ;) My guess is that in big cities there is NO way each dog could be walked singly by walkers ..

Walking at night ? hmmmm ...

• 2 weeks later...

For me I would expect behavioural qualifications, suitable insurance, my dogs to never be put into a vehicle, knowledge of the local area, never to walk dogs together from separate houses, and the ability to follow my instructions no matter if you agree.

Years ago when we had our two standard poodles I used a highly recommended dog walker with all the qualifications, the one instruction I specifically gave her apart from never let them off lead (they got their off lead times with us) was to walk them on a short lead in the heel position at all times, unless they were stopping for a sniff/wee, the reason because my girl was seriously DA and also took a dislike to quite a few humans especially ones on bikes/skateboards.

I was told that's what was being done, I just happened to finish work early one day and I saw her walking my dogs long leads, both out front with not enough control if a person or dog suddenly appeared, recipe for disaster.

She seemed to think it was mean not allowing them enough freedom on their leads.

It was the last time anyone else except my husband walked the dogs.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Thanks everyone definitely given me a lot to think about. I knew that the only being able to walk dogs at night would be a problem...

Its not a problem - its what suits you and you will find some people who will feel that it is what suits them.

If you are looking at making this something that will pay your wages and develop into a viable business its a matter of before you do anything else taking the time to approach it in a business like fashion and sort through exactly what will suit you and work up a business plan.

Walking or Petsitting works best when you can be specific about what services you will provide and what your criteria will be as you select the people and pets you prefer to service. You can then do what is required to make your business attractive to your target market and design your marketing to attract them to wanting to use your services. Sort through in your own mind whether you will be most comfortable with some breeds over others, sizes, level of training ,whether you will medicate, groom train etc

Go slow work through it one step at a time and as you do the answers will fall into place. Before you take on one single job you need an ABN [free] and public liability insurance - not very expensive and you can pay by the month and you can apply to have a police check report done and gather personal references.This covers the big two so if you are walking a dog and it slips its lead and gets hit by a car causing an accident etc you are covered.If you go to someone's home and inadvertently break something or do something that creates damage you are covered. People want to know you are reliable and trustworthy - that you are going to respect their property and their privacy so personal references are as important as professional ones.

Personally I think this is the biggest potential growth area in the dog world but unless you really approach it as a business you will knock yourself out and be lucky to have much but grey hairs to show for it .

Petsitting Course - this has a component of Dog Walking as an elective too

Edited by Steve