Need Help Finding The Right Service Dog

SeanyB

hi everyone, I was just wandering if anyone has any advice or thoughts that could help me, so i have recently been told i qualify for a mental health service dog and i need to find the right dog, the way it works is i get a dog ideally as a puppy and train it all the basics, when he/she is approved at 6 months old she is approved for as a trainee and the training continues assisted by the service. so my ideal dog would be a toy, a dog that is just happy to be around me and sit in my lap and just chill. i think a maltese best suits me, i grew up with one and i love them to bits, only im having trouble with breeders, i have sent inquiries but they dont really reply or anything. so i was hoping some of you might know a good breeder or where i can find a puppy or some other advice on service dogs, or breeds that may suite me thanks so much

This group state that they can source and train pups

http://www.adnsw.org.au/?page_id=2

This site says

An animal that has been trained or educated by any other organisation, or its owner, is not considered to be an assistance animal for the purposes of registration under the Companion Animals Act 1998.

https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/content/registering-assistance-animal-more-information

This organisation might also help.

http://www.servicedogtraining.com.au/

and they have a PDF which seems like it has sensible advice in it: http://www.servicedogtraining.com.au/articles/ConsiderationsWhenApplyingforanAssistancedog1112.pdf

I don't know anything about assistance dogs but I know there aren't a lot of pure Maltese around, have you considered a long/short haired chihuahua they are very smart and trainable but love nothing more than cuddling up on a lap or in bed, they are generally quite happy to play games in the house/yard without being demanding of walks.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

www.minddog.org.au

Yes, this is the organisation I'd recommend as well, you don't need a puppy, an older dog can be trained as well, good luck with it. :)

Yea Mind dog is the group I am in contact with, they said I can get an older rescue dog which I would like but I really want to get a puppy because it will be easier to train plus that lifetime bond

The one of the issues you can have with an older dog/rescue is a reduced working life some others are handling the stress of assistance dog work. However in saying that here is no guarantee that the pup you get will be able to handle the stress of being an assistance dog. Some dogs are not cut out for it no matter how much training you put into them and of course there is the issue of washing out due to medical issues.

One the major benefits of getting an adult/rescue dog is that you already know what you are working with and you don't have to wait the 6 months provided the rescue is older then 6 months. Most rescue dogs already come with all the vet work done many are also desexed so they are pretty much good to go once they complete a basic obedience course to start public access training.

The main thing about getting a assistance dog is that thinking how they will help mitigate the symptoms of your condition.

--Lhok

www.minddog.org.au

Yes, this is the organisation I'd recommend as well, you don't need a puppy, an older dog can be trained as well, good luck with it. :)

Yea Mind dog is the group I am in contact with, they said I can get an older rescue dog which I would like but I really want to get a puppy because it will be easier to train plus that lifetime bond

Don't limit yourself because of preconceived ideas of the trainability of an older dog, or by the size of the dog... there are plenty of junior aged dogs in rescue of all shapes and sizes that may just be suitable for your needs.

T.

www.minddog.org.au

I don't know much about assistance dogs but a adult dog is no harder to train than a puppy and you can absolutely build a life long bond with an adult dog. Lots and lots of rescue dogs become people's heart dogs and are incredibly closely bonded, my own dog included.

I got my rescue dog when she was 12 months old. After 7 months, she's trained really well and have an extremely tight bond with her that will last hopefully 16-17 years.

Do you mean an assistance dog or a therapy dog - big difference in the work they do and how they are trained

Do you need a dog to be with you and hang out with and love you as you love it or do you need a dog that will pick things up for you turn on light switches ,take your washing out of the machine etc ?

Do you mean an assistance dog or a therapy dog - big difference in the work they do and how they are trained

Do you need a dog to be with you and hang out with and love you as you love it or do you need a dog that will pick things up for you turn on light switches ,take your washing out of the machine etc ?

:thumbsup:

I think that's what I was trying to say earlier. :)

a puppy because it will be easier to train plus that lifetime bond

I beg to differ ;)

my absolute heart dog ..one of the nicest dogs ever, was one who found me when he was nearly two years old. We had just over 10 yrs together ..and he was brilliant . our bond was 100% >

Pups are such hard work sometimes ... a young adult dog , temperament tested, thoroughly vet checked would be my suggestion for you :)

Where can I get a dog who takes washing out of the machine? Think I really need one that can do that, will it hang it out and iron as well?