Advice on Bulldog x Pitty and cat!

EzGav

Hi

I am sorry if this question has been asked but I am desperate for information to make an informed decision.

My partner and son are desperate for a puppy and I have promised them for the longest time they can get one, the time has come and my partners friends dog (American Bulldog) has just had a litter of puppies. They are beautiful and ready to go, my issue is we have a 6 year old Persian cat who has always been our only pet. I will admit I am hesitant because the puppies are American bulldog x Pitbull. I know a lot of this comes down to owners and how the dog is trained and treated but I am worried about the cat and if he will be safe. 

My partner has always had dogs and thinks it will be fine but he is also very laid back - I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

That’s a hard one. There are so many variables. 

How is your cat with dogs, normally? If her instinct is to run, that will make it harder, and most cats will run. 

The dogs prey drive is also a consideration and being a pup, that will be harder to determine. Are the parents of the pup cat/dog chasers? Their temperament will largely predict the pup’s. 

Is your cat an inside only cat? Will the dog be inside too? If you choose to get the dog, you need to ensure the cat has a safety zone in the house. Somewhere the dog is not allowed to go. A place where your cat, who has reigned over her castle by herself for 6 years, can feel safe and relaxed in and not worried about the dog in anyway. 

You should also place serious consideration into what you will do if it doesn’t work out? Will the people you’re getting the puppy from take it back? Will someone else be able to take the dog?

Ultimately the introduction between the two will be vital. I’d try to speak to an expert on it, if you can, to ensure you manage the first few months the way you will need to, to ensure success.  

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Like 4

We board a few American/Australia n Bulldogs .

All have lovely nature's but owners struggle to walk them with there size and power  and have health issues especially bad hips ,crossed with a pitty I would be seriously assessing this choice with a child and his friends coming over unless all the humans are prepared to put in significant lead training,social skills and manners .

We have boarded pure pittys and all where delightful but start crossing them and that's a whole different cup of tea.

Also there alot of dog will it fit into the car you have .

Will it be an inside or outside dog .

What is the health status of the parents with hips/ elbows etc .

Cats n dogs are no guarantee of getting on that's something that will always be a thing .

Some cats are horrible to dogs but yes a cat needs a safe area for the early stages 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, EzGav said:

Hi

I am sorry if this question has been asked but I am desperate for information to make an informed decision.

My partner and son are desperate for a puppy and I have promised them for the longest time they can get one, the time has come and my partners friends dog (American Bulldog) has just had a litter of puppies. They are beautiful and ready to go, my issue is we have a 6 year old Persian cat who has always been our only pet. I will admit I am hesitant because the puppies are American bulldog x Pitbull. I know a lot of this comes down to owners and how the dog is trained and treated but I am worried about the cat and if he will be safe. 

My partner has always had dogs and thinks it will be fine but he is also very laid back - I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cat isn't the only issue.  Depending on what state you've in, a pit cross may be banned or restricted, which can potentially become a migraine-scale headache.  There are some wonderful pits and pit crosses, but there are also some shockers.  Personally, I'd look elsewhere.  There are a lot of dogs and pups looking for homes post Covid-19.

• Like 3

it can be done but I'd be looking elsewhere for a breed that is a bit more laid back. All the above have great responses to your question.  Besides what they have said I'd be asking what happens if dog and cat do not get along? Which animal has to be rehomed and how would the people feel about that? Would it break your family apart? A lot of men want "a mans dog" but is that the best fit for your family?

• Like 5

I’d personally advise against it. They might be a cute puppy now but they will become big, fast and strong with a higher prey drive than some other breeds. It’s not all about how you train them but that is a huge thing. Dogs still have their own genetic breed traits and one with higher prey drive will be harder to train to not have that. Large dogs are also difficult to walk because of their strength. They can be awesome but take much more hard work and patience. If I were in your shoes, I would look to breeds that are known to have a low prey drive and go with a breeder registered with the kennel club. They will know their dog’s breed lines and whether they will be suitable. 

I’ve personally known friends who have lost cats to dogs and it’s terribly tragic. Also know those who get the cheap backyard bred cross, often from a friend, who are then a handful and are so hard to handle that they don’t get taken out even and then are worse to live with even and the cycle goes around. 

Dogs are actually quite hard work while you’re training them initially and it takes a while and sometimes a long time with some dogs, sometimes forever. But they can be very rewarding. It depends how much you want to put into them and what breed suits your lifestyle etc. 

All the best. 

• Like 3

First step is check with your local council to see if there are restrictions, extra fees or compulsory desexing for these breeds or pig hunting dogs. Also check what is required if the dog is declared dangerous. Where I live a dog can be declared dangerous for attacking a cat. 

I agree with those who say not the right breed. Large enough and potential temperament to easily kill a cat, (or a child) and what happens if your son tries to step in and rescue the cat?

Also, not a good idea to get a puppy from a friend. Harder to make the right decision without hurting anyone's feelings.

This is, I assume, an accidental litter, so health and temperament of parents and relatives has not been considered and no health tests done.

If it is not accidental, then was the breeding done to produce dogs that can catch pigs? If so, a cat will be easy prey. Have the parents killed or injured any cats? Would the owners tell you if they had? Do the owners have a cat? 

These are all questions that you should be asking, and can ask an ethical breeder or ethical rescue group, but could you ask them of partner's friend?

Another consideration is desexing. Is your partner OK with desexing of a male? Some men act as if it is their own testicles that will be removed!

• Like 3

I have a bull terrier and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who live with 4 cats. They all respect each other (except the 19 year old cat who picks on the dogs )

It's not just about breed of the dog. I would look more at your cat first, is he used to other dogs, can you try him around dogs before you go ahead? If he is going to freak out he will set the pup off. Even mine will chase the cats if they run or hiss at something.

This can work but you need to make sure your cat is ok first, then find the right dog 

• Like 4

If you are asking this advice you don’t have enough experience and relative knowledge to own either an American bulldog or an American pit bull terrier. They are a lot of work and need to be worked. They are also amazing and magnificent animals.

full of character and devotion. But you’ve probably selected the worst possible choice for your cat situation.

Bulldogs hate cats. That’s deeply ingrained in them. It will eventually find a way to get to that cat. It will try everything, eventually even including earning your trust and appearing safe and placid when the cat and it’s owners are present.

it is still going to rag doll that cat the micro second it gets a good opportunity.

get a king charles or a cocker spaniel and everyone lives happily ever after.

Bulldogs don't hate cats. What a silly statement. 

My parents have always had bulldogs and cats, and I work with many dogs and cats daily and had come across many bulldogs who live and get along with cats.

Every dog is different, some will be ok with them some not. It will depend on the dog not the breed 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Dumdum said:

If you are asking this advice you don’t have enough experience and relative knowledge to own either an American bulldog or an American pit bull terrier. They are a lot of work and need to be worked. They are also amazing and magnificent animals.

full of character and devotion. But you’ve probably selected the worst possible choice for your cat situation.

Bulldogs hate cats. That’s deeply ingrained in them. It will eventually find a way to get to that cat. It will try everything, eventually even including earning your trust and appearing safe and placid when the cat and it’s owners are present.

it is still going to rag doll that cat the micro second it gets a good opportunity.

get a king charles or a cocker spaniel and everyone lives happily ever after.

Can vouch for this. People who I know who have Cavaliers, they are the sweetest dogs you could come by, happy and playful but also calm and relaxed (can have health issues though but many are just fine). They do need brushing quite a lot. Or if you are into large dogs, get a well bred PURE bred Labrador from show lines. None of my labs have ever had a prey drive, they are big and bulky, scare some people away but are also friendly and very easily trained. They are harder work though than a small dog, simply because of their strength. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

It will depend on the dog not the breed 

Depends on both!  All breeds have variation, but on average, breed differences are real, and the odds are better or worse, depending on breed.  Owner savvy and training also pay a big role.

• Like 3

It is a Labrador that has been declared a dangerous dog for attacking a cat and walks with a muzzle and special collar.

Ideal situation is introducing a puppy used to cats to a cat used to dogs. 

If your cat is not used to dogs look to getting a puppy used to cats. Or get a rabbit, or cavies or a bird and explain the cat has priority. 

Kids (and partners) don't always need to get what they want when they want it if it would be too stressful for the other member of the family.

Edited by Mairead
  • Like 2

You can only bring the puppy in and try it , My wife loves cats  personaly i don't like them , but the boss says we have them so have them we do , over the years  we have had a few cats and because they live so long  there has been quite a few dogs been brought into  the familly with them , every cat has been  mainly inside ,  and every single cat has  got on well with the dogs   all have been aloof when they wanted to but  not scared or fearful once they got used to them ,  the dog we have now  is a sook , i take him to my sons  if we go on holiday ,  he has a blue heeler and 2 cats  , who get on real well ,  them cats at first when my dog approached would run and give him a snarl  , because he was boisterous around them  , but after a while he stopped being boisterous  they stopped snarling   and he prefers to curl up and sleep  with them , yet  outside he will run up to them and they run   inside there mates ,,  brought a 8 week old rotty into the house with our cat   and he  grew up best mates  and very protective off the cat  ,

Alls you can do is give it a go but make sure  you get a pup  ,  don't make a big deal of it if the pup gets put in its place at first , they will get used to each other , like i said the main thing is only bring a pup in  , i've done it perhaps  7-8 times and never had an issue   whats more done it with a staffy   that hated other cats  but loved his mate at home . regards the anerican  bulldog  nice dogs , my mate has one and he owns 2 cats   there all fine  but they are a dog that needs  training , 

Sometimes i think a new owner to dogs is a better fit , becuase if they find a good school the trainer will teach you how to handle the dog has well has taeching the dog ,  wherehas i see    every single day on the dog beach when i'm fishing real animal lovers   who have owned dogs for years , not able to control there dogs because there not firm  enough they think its there baby , and thats something you cannot do with a american bulldog ,  regards breeds what are you and your husband likely to be like ,   example  you have it on the leash , it gets reactive to a dog walking by , would you likely be ,  to the other people ,, Aaaaw sorry , he does'nt like strangers ,  hold it tight , and say  stop being naughty ,  and make excuses  , they should'nt walk there dog past mine ,  then walk away saying  sorry i  held you tight Fido .

Or would you be like me , give it a stern reprimand  , and say to myself i got a problem here    i'm gonna fix it ,  and start  immiedietly traing it  No means NO

If its the first one , get a maltese terrier , but regards cats  you can only try , BUT GET A PUP  definetly not a full grown dog