The Official January Photo A Day Challenge

Ashanali

I'm not commenting on individual pics because there's so many every time I come into this thread that I can't keep up. They all look fabulous, though. I'm really impressed with the talent everyone's showing here. :laugh:

We went on an overnight camping trip yesterday to Blackwood (near Daylesford). Took the camera, just didn't take it out of the bag, so no photo for yesterday! :rofl: We came home this morning but I had to wait until the kids went to sleep about half an hour ago to go and take some pics. I have two that I can't choose between.

I tried to wash the colour out on these roses to make them look more faded than they are.

3187488630_2eac71d2b1.jpg

And Em kept following me around while I was taking pics, trying to get me to play with her so I thought I'd get one of her and her ball. I made it b&w so that it's less noticeable that it's out of focus.

3187488798_b0a4b05a95.jpg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

popsicle - I love the way you've made your rose glow, the yellow one, very pretty

blab - beauitful kitty pic! and I'm in love with the golden boy (what's his name?)

Sam - you do a brilliant job of bringing out the character of a Dalmatian's contrasts. Chester is charming!

I'm so glad! I must admit by about day 7 or 8 I was starting to wane with my ideas, especially since I haven't been able to get any outside the confines of my house/backyard and the one I did get in the front yard, I was thinking it would be just another Chester pic (from the viewing side of the fence, 'cause of course I love them and him, it's a little different) ... glad to hear you're liking them :laugh:

Yup, you can "gel" your flash on the cheap with anything of colour!

well there you go, even has a name ;)

Ruffles - cool web :D

aquaticmalamute - great necklace!

PPS - Welcome to day 10 = wow!!!

lea - very interesting cow pic, the first one looks like it was taken 100 years ago or something ;)

Poocow: I am wondering if that is the ship my in laws have just been on.

They were going on a South Pacific cruise 28th Dec and would have got back

today I think.

Most likely then - if they went to Fiji and Vanuatu. It arrived in Sydney around 8/9ish this morning. Ask them if they got anything seized from Quarantine ;)

You work for Quarantine poocow? :)

Do the beagles work cruise ships in Sydney - I'm due to clear something on Monday name escapes me?? My colleague told me she seized 20 items (fruit) from passengers today working a beagle, not sure which ship or where it was from.

Speaking of work - I returned today after having leave, so am struggling to keep up here and not sure I'll get a pic up tonight, might have to do a day behind thingo we'll see how I go :)

Yeah I do work for Quarantine - haven't been there long. Hoping to get into the DDU this year when a vacancy comes up.

Beagles work the cruise ships here - they were late today as they got told the wrong time (stupid shipping!) - only 4 seizures (food and a green grass hat). I'm in the shipping/zones section in February and there is a ship coming in every day :D

good luck with getting into the DDU - unless you are a real people person, I can highly recommend the Active unit :) Got my cruise ship tomorrow, gotta get up at 4:30am to get there early, personally I'm no good with passengers, and the beagles work so different to the actives, and I haven't beagle-wrangled for about a year and a half, anyway ...

piper - jessi is very cute chewing her bone, love her little short muzzle :)

huga - I love your pics so far, very creative and nicely themed!

iltby - fantastic macros! and that shot you've titled "Intricate" is very impressive, I love it!!

piper - much better frisbee pics than I've ever managed, though it probably doesn't help that I don't have someone to throw - I tried to get my mum to do it once, and she can't throw a ball in a general straight line, let alone be able to let the frisbee fly :rofl:

JAG - cool golf pic - what's not right about it exactly?

lea - gorgeous sunset pic through the fence. I too get trees, roofs, powerlines in the way of any good sunset/rise pics from my house, I keep trying regardless - I so need to get out more

Ashanali - Explore :) which pic was that?

persephone - lovely "Summer" pic ... has a great hot feel to it!

ruthless -

CM: I'm really enjoying your Chester pics. Like I said on Flickr, they're making me want a Dally! :laugh:
:) ... and ditto my reply to blab ... oh yeah, and I was about 4 hours late to participate in that flickr game :rofl:

ruthless - you lucky bugger, I heard about the Sydney Festival in The Domain. I also heard that Grace Jones was supposed to be awesome?

I really need to see more of Trixie, she is so pretty, and she sounds like a good girl!

:rofl:

Gotta admit Chester really knows how to strike a pose, he's getting better at holding them too, except for his odd "head down" (which I taught him to do, but doesn't always work, I think I need to teach a "head up") in mid-shot he holds positions really well through continuous clickety-clicks ;)

and he was wagging his tail through this afternoons series :rofl:

gone with a black and white today (not almost) :rofl:

3186735633_4497dd1753.jpg

cheers :)

I love checking this thread and seeing everyones wonderful work. It is so diverse, it's interesting to see the different things people see or how they see things.

Lea after seeing your sunset picture and saying ours are nothing like that I decided to take a pic of that. It is VERY boring!

jan11.jpg

ohhhhhhh, loving the 9th one, Ravyk, lovely contrast of colors.

ILTBY..loving the macro. ;)

Thanks BB!

Apart from animals & trying to use my camera effectively :rofl: , this is my other hobby.............did this today with 9yo daughter while the boys were out!!

This is great PM, it has such a sense of messiness or scattered-ness to it, I really like that. I love it when you get really into something and make a huge mess mucking around with it. I often do it in Photoshop and cover my desktop in crap :)

iltby - fantastic macros! and that shot you've titled "Intricate" is very impressive, I love it!!

--

Gotta admit Chester really knows how to strike a pose, he's getting better at holding them too, except for his odd "head down" (which I taught him to do, but doesn't always work, I think I need to teach a "head up") in mid-shot he holds positions really well through continuous clickety-clicks :rofl:

and he was wagging his tail through this afternoons series :laugh:

gone with a black and white today (not almost) :laugh:

3186735633_4497dd1753.jpg

cheers :D

Thanks so much CM :) I've been taking photos of ants on those leaves for two weeks and realised today that the leaves themselves are quite pretty :D

That's a stunning shot, I love all the monochrome you've been doing, it's so effective with a Dally.

ETA: I have to say I'm absolutely loving this thread :)

Edited by iltby

After waiting and waiting and more waiting the man in the moon just didn't want to come out to play. So I had to settle for a glow :laugh:

IMG_7661.jpg

CM todays pic is awesome.

JAG - cool golf pic - what's not right about it exactly?
I was hoping to get the ball more in focus... just being picky I guess.

I am going to make myself try tomorrow, actually i tried this afternoon but did not suceed :o.

ETA: Changed my mind. I hated this lense (70-300mm nikkor 1:4-5.6 G) when i first got it, but after playing around with it pretty much every day for the past 3 weeks i have become attached to it. I have not touched the kit lense much at all in that time.

Edited again: One shot from this afternoon, my Mum's Chihuahua playing ball.

post-2703-1231677335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clover

Just some happy snaps tonight... We went to the Moonlight Cinema with the dogs to see Hotel for Dogs! Unfortunately it got rained out after about 20 minutes of the film. Oh well, the dogs had fun!

3187804018_8fe56e3a94.jpg

Ahsoka enjoying the view

3187802672_42ce4b98cd.jpg

Hi Guys, I am back from my holiday and expected to find a few pages and was so suprised to see 42 pages for me to wade through today, all the pics are awesome, you lot are all very talented, even the ones thats been said are ordinary I have found fantastic, I would like to join in but most of mine are just snap shots on the days I was busy and some that are worthy (I think) so I will post them all tomorow, not sure if I should put them all in one post as there will be 11?? This is such a great thread, I especially love (as always) looking at everyones doggys and all the other photos are very creative, Its amazing when you start to see the same peoples work time and time again, you can most of the time recognise the photographer before you see who posted, I tested this theory today when I was going through all the pages and for probly half the photos I could pick the photographer before I checked to see who it was. The two styles that are easy to pick is Roccos (great work by the way) and Kristens (always lovely, light and bright) your underwater ones are awesome!! Gee I would hate to be judging a competition based on these pictures, they are all just so great, enough from me now Im off to bed and will post tomorow my past 11 days worth of pics, I have been inspired today after going throught this thread and for the rest of the month I am gonna give it a good go!!