Farewell Herbie, My Faithful Boy

Her Majesty Dogmad

Herbie was one of those “boomerang” dogs – he was adopted and returned twice during his year at Doggie Rescue's kennels. He was an older Jack Russell cross, seemingly a good fit for my household so I took him home as a foster to see if I could work out what would be the right home for him.

It wasn’t hard to see why he had been returned – he spent the first 3 weeks on my sofa, baring his teeth at me. Originally, he had been found with life threatening injuries, most likely caused by being kicked. He just didn’t trust people very easily. After 3 weeks of me giving him space so that he could watch me with my own dogs, he finally started to thaw. Under his bravado, he was such a loving and happy dog. He would make his own fun, throwing toys in the air, rolling around in his bed and making funny noises. He loved his walks and his food, he was enthusiastic about everything in his life, especially me.

With my newfound understanding of his personality, I felt confident that I’d found just the right home for him when a very nice couple came to meet him. He’d been with me a few weeks by then and I spent 2 hours with them, discussing his needs and what to do and what not to do and they assured me they understood. Next morning I received a call to say they were returning him. They had done exactly what I’d asked them not to do until Herbie trusted them and in his fear he’d nipped the husband.

And so Herbie lived with me for many more months. One of my other dogs, was always jealous, Herbie had a strong attachment to me and I couldn’t help but adore him although I didn’t favour him. Herbie had the adorable habit of smiling at me when I got home from work, when it was walkies or dinner was due and made such funny noises you couldn’t help but laugh. He regularly jumped onto my lap (he was about 10 kilos) for a cuddle.

After a year, a retired lady offered Herbie a home with a female companion so I let him go. At the time it was the best thing for my own dog but I was inconsolable, I wept for weeks and for the next 2 years, Herbie was always on my mind although I believed he was lost to me forever.

Early in 2007, my own dog that didn't like Herbie sadly died and then a few months later, I heard that Herbie’s new owner was unable to care for him any more. Fate has a funny way of working sometimes. I rushed to pick him up and Herbie came home and it was as if he’d never been away. He was a couple of years older and his smile was more gappy but I was overjoyed to have him back for the last 18 months. Every day was a blessing and then last week he collapsed in great pain and I had to make the awful decision to let him cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Rest in peace my darling boy. I’ll never stop missing your smile.

post-4751-1249126759_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogmad

What a lovely story, about your bond, I am sending hugs and warm wishes for you and the family, Herbie was well loved and he knew that.

RIP Dear boy

J

Herbie was one of those “boomerang” dogs – he was adopted and returned twice during his year at Doggie Rescue's kennels. He was an older Jack Russell cross, seemingly a good fit for my household so I took him home as a foster to see if I could work out what would be the right home for him.

It wasn’t hard to see why he had been returned – he spent the first 3 weeks on my sofa, baring his teeth at me. Originally, he had been found with life threatening injuries, most likely caused by being kicked. He just didn’t trust people very easily. After 3 weeks of me giving him space so that he could watch me with my own dogs, he finally started to thaw. Under his bravado, he was such a loving and happy dog. He would make his own fun, throwing toys in the air, rolling around in his bed and making funny noises. He loved his walks and his food, he was enthusiastic about everything in his life, especially me.

With my newfound understanding of his personality, I felt confident that I’d found just the right home for him when a very nice couple came to meet him. He’d been with me a few weeks by then and I spent 2 hours with them, discussing his needs and what to do and what not to do and they assured me they understood. Next morning I received a call to say they were returning him. They had done exactly what I’d asked them not to do until Herbie trusted them and in his fear he’d nipped the husband.

And so Herbie lived with me for many more months. One of my other dogs, was always jealous, Herbie had a strong attachment to me and I couldn’t help but adore him although I didn’t favour him. Herbie had the adorable habit of smiling at me when I got home from work, when it was walkies or dinner was due and made such funny noises you couldn’t help but laugh. He regularly jumped onto my lap (he was about 10 kilos) for a cuddle.

After a year, a retired lady offered Herbie a home with a female companion so I let him go. At the time it was the best thing for my own dog but I was inconsolable, I wept for weeks and for the next 2 years, Herbie was always on my mind although I believed he was lost to me forever.

Early in 2007, my own dog that didn't like Herbie sadly died and then a few months later, I heard that Herbie’s new owner was unable to care for him any more. Fate has a funny way of working sometimes. I rushed to pick him up and Herbie came home and it was as if he’d never been away. He was a couple of years older and his smile was more gappy but I was overjoyed to have him back for the last 18 months. Every day was a blessing and then last week he collapsed in great pain and I had to make the awful decision to let him cross the Rainbow Bridge.

:rolleyes: Thank you for sharing such a loving story about Herbie's life.

hugs to you dogmad, Herbie sounds like a special gift we only get to love for a short but wonderful time.

fifi, danny & hounds xxxx

What a lucky old guy to be back with you for his final times.

Be not sad for what you have lost.....

Be happy for what you have had.....

I know my little old foster Grandpa is not here for long....but he is loved like he has always been here...

Remember that you gave him more in his final years than he has probably ever had.

Oh I'm so sorry Dogmad.

Herbie was a lucky little fella to have you. Many people would have given up on him I'm sure, or not cared what made him this way. His life could have been very different... But he was loved until the end. His last bit of trust in people was well rewarded by you.

RIP Herbie, Rainbow Bridge does not contain any cruelty - so never fear.

Congratulations Dogmad on making an old boy happy, and for never giving up on him.