Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Writing in for a bit of moral support.

I am looking for a puppy at the moment. I have a favourite breed in mind. They are brilliant dogs, but there are some health issues I need to be careful about.

Anyway, the more I read the more confused I get. There is so much info on the web about health problems and temperament problems I am beginning to feel almost paralysed and it's so hard to make a decision. I have come close to saying yes to a pup from what I'm almost positive would be a really nice litter, but then got cold feet because they are interstate and I can't go and see them for myself.

Do other people struggle in the same way? At the moment I'm feeling a bit silly. In times gone buy I would have just seen a dog I really liked and brought it home. I never even thought about hip scores or test scores or breeding.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that finds this difficult! :(

Zug Zug, don't get cold feet just because the litter is interstate if you feel confident in the breeder they should ask you lots of questions so that they can match a pup to what your situation is.

I am importing from overseas and have been having the same feelings however just think if you trust your breeder and you get along then you should be fine.

Good luck hope you find the right puppy and the right breeder.

Update on my White Swiss Shepherd puppy from Czech Republic - the bitch reabsorbed the puppies and didn't end up with any pupscrying.gifcrying.gif

So Now I'm going to look at Swedish Breeders and hope I find the right lines.

I am looking for a puppy at the moment. I have a favourite breed in mind. They are brilliant dogs, but there are some health issues I need to be careful about.

Anyway, the more I read the more confused I get. There is so much info on the web about health problems and temperament problems I am beginning to feel almost paralysed and it's so hard to make a decision. I have come close to saying yes to a pup from what I'm almost positive would be a really nice litter, but then got cold feet because they are interstate and I can't go and see them for myself.

Do other people struggle in the same way? At the moment I'm feeling a bit silly. In times gone buy I would have just seen a dog I really liked and brought it home. I never even thought about hip scores or test scores or breeding.

I totally get you!

Our family fav breed is labradors and yes they do have their health issues that one needs to be aware of. We recently went through what you are currently experiencing. In June, (on DOL) we carefully looked at breeders' dam & sire hip & elbow scores along with eye issues etc. My way of navigation regarding finding the right puppy was that health scores would guide us first and we would go interstate if necessary. We didn't see Wilbur before deciding on purchasing him. We had a short list of breeders that had or were about to have litters. I spoke to them on the phone to get a 'feel' for their beliefs and values and their ability to develop a positive relationship with me and the way they raised litters etc. With health of the sire and dam being my first criteria, one of the next was the ability of the breeder to build a positive relationship with me. While it's not on some people's list it is on mine. I want a positive ongoing relationship with the breeder; i believe that it is in the best interest of the puppy for me to be able to communicate with the breeder if i have questions etc and if a breeder does not have the welfare of the puppy as their priority then it's a no go for me. Additionally, if a breeder is not respectful in communication I don't take it any further; i strike them off my list.

One breeder that i spoke to on the phone illustrated to me that they did not always conduct themselves in a respectful manner when they told me of an interaction they had with someone else. I didn't put my name on their list.

When i spoke to our breeder she was a lovely warm woman who communicated in a really respectful manner; I really warmed to her. Her dogs met my health score criteria. She had a great reverence for her dogs and had successfully bred other litters previously. Her references were outstanding and focused on not only the quality of the puppies but the breeders ability to develop great relationships with buyers. I put our name down on her list and only her list, even though I knew we may not get the male puppy we were looking for. I felt it was worth it to put my name down and see what happened. Luck was on our side; Wilbur was the only male in the litter and the breeder must have felt we were the right family for him as she emailed us at 3:45 am on the night the puppies were born telling us that our baby boy had been born.

So, we will not see Wilbur before he flies to come to live with us permanently. I have faith in our breeder that he will be a lovely puppy...in fact she sends us frequent updates and pictures of Wilbur and his sisters, mum and the other dogs in the family. I have seen many video's of another dog that our breeder bred last year and the pup is just lovely. If i had not had this strong sense of positivity regarding our breeder i would never have accepted a puppy sight un-seen; i would have inspected the litter.

This breeder has made us feel included in Wilbur's life right from the beginning and i appreciate that so much. She has been more than happy to organise Wilbur's transport home to us; i would have happily done it myself but didn't need to (and am very grateful). For a small fee she is driving a significant distance to take Wilbur to the airport on the day of his flight; which makes me feel really calm because i know he's in good hands. When i asked if she could organise Wilbur's vaccinations to be above the normal c3 range, she was more than willing to do this for us. I don't care if i have to pay more, Wilbur's physical and emotional well-being is my first concern and the breeder shares this concern with us.

I would have loved to have the time to travel to see Wilbur and his litter mates prior to him coming to us; just for the sheer joy of seeing them, but this has not been possible. I have every confidence that Wilbur is the right puppy for us and we have chosen the right breeder for us. Additionally i am a strong advocate in environment being the major shaper of a dogs personality. While some parts of character are innate i believe that these are influenced positively or negatively by the environment in which they are raised. i know Wilbur is in a fabulous environment during his early development; his breeder sends us lots of pictures and updates on their wellbeing etc and I know that his adult life with us will be fabulous as well. Our two previous family dogs have lived to ripe old ages and were well behaved and deeply adored members of our family. Both were active, well behaved, loving and happy family members....so i know we raise great dogs.

I hope our recent experience helps you decide what is best for you. Good luck :)

We finally found out which little pup is ours!!! Here is a photo of him :) His name is Chester :)

28txrgz.jpg

Isn't he cute!! One week to go tomorrow!!! :thumbsup:

Gorgeous! You must be super dooper excited now!

We finally found out which little pup is ours!!! Here is a photo of him :) His name is Chester :)

28txrgz.jpg

Isn't he cute!! One week to go tomorrow!!! :thumbsup:

Gorgeous! You must be super dooper excited now!

good lord i think i just had an overdose of 'gorgeous puppy' LOL he's beautiful and Chester is a fabulous name!

I totally get you!

Our family fav breed is labradors and yes they do have their health issues that one needs to be aware of. We recently went through what you are currently experiencing. In June, (on DOL) we carefully looked at breeders' dam & sire hip & elbow scores along with eye issues etc. My way of navigation regarding finding the right puppy was that health scores would guide us first and we would go interstate if necessary. We didn't see Wilbur before deciding on purchasing him. We had a short list of breeders that had or were about to have litters. I spoke to them on the phone to get a 'feel' for their beliefs and values and their ability to develop a positive relationship with me and the way they raised litters etc. With health of the sire and dam being my first criteria, one of the next was the ability of the breeder to build a positive relationship with me. While it's not on some people's list it is on mine. I want a positive ongoing relationship with the breeder; i believe that it is in the best interest of the puppy for me to be able to communicate with the breeder if i have questions etc and if a breeder does not have the welfare of the puppy as their priority then it's a no go for me. Additionally, if a breeder is not respectful in communication I don't take it any further; i strike them off my list.

One breeder that i spoke to on the phone illustrated to me that they did not always conduct themselves in a respectful manner when they told me of an interaction they had with someone else. I didn't put my name on their list.

When i spoke to our breeder she was a lovely warm woman who communicated in a really respectful manner; I really warmed to her. Her dogs met my health score criteria. She had a great reverence for her dogs and had successfully bred other litters previously. Her references were outstanding and focused on not only the quality of the puppies but the breeders ability to develop great relationships with buyers. I put our name down on her list and only her list, even though I knew we may not get the male puppy we were looking for. I felt it was worth it to put my name down and see what happened. Luck was on our side; Wilbur was the only male in the litter and the breeder must have felt we were the right family for him as she emailed us at 3:45 am on the night the puppies were born telling us that our baby boy had been born.

So, we will not see Wilbur before he flies to come to live with us permanently. I have faith in our breeder that he will be a lovely puppy...in fact she sends us frequent updates and pictures of Wilbur and his sisters, mum and the other dogs in the family. I have seen many video's of another dog that our breeder bred last year and the pup is just lovely. If i had not had this strong sense of positivity regarding our breeder i would never have accepted a puppy sight un-seen; i would have inspected the litter.

This breeder has made us feel included in Wilbur's life right from the beginning and i appreciate that so much. She has been more than happy to organise Wilbur's transport home to us; i would have happily done it myself but didn't need to (and am very grateful). For a small fee she is driving a significant distance to take Wilbur to the airport on the day of his flight; which makes me feel really calm because i know he's in good hands. When i asked if she could organise Wilbur's vaccinations to be above the normal c3 range, she was more than willing to do this for us. I don't care if i have to pay more, Wilbur's physical and emotional well-being is my first concern and the breeder shares this concern with us.

I would have loved to have the time to travel to see Wilbur and his litter mates prior to him coming to us; just for the sheer joy of seeing them, but this has not been possible. I have every confidence that Wilbur is the right puppy for us and we have chosen the right breeder for us. Additionally i am a strong advocate in environment being the major shaper of a dogs personality. While some parts of character are innate i believe that these are influenced positively or negatively by the environment in which they are raised. i know Wilbur is in a fabulous environment during his early development; his breeder sends us lots of pictures and updates on their wellbeing etc and I know that his adult life with us will be fabulous as well. Our two previous family dogs have lived to ripe old ages and were well behaved and deeply adored members of our family. Both were active, well behaved, loving and happy family members....so i know we raise great dogs.

I hope our recent experience helps you decide what is best for you. Good luck :)

What a lovely post suziwong66

My relationships with both my boy's breeders are so similar to what you have described. So true about environment of the breeders shaping a puppys personality. So well said. We drove 8 hours to pick up Jangels so got to see Jangels mum & litter mates & it was a wonderful experience that will never be forgotten. I have some beautiful photos from that day. And to meet his breeder & family just completed the whole experience. Congratulations on your Wilburs soon to be arrival & looking forward to many updates on your beautiful boy.

Suziewong what did u mean by the vacs being above the normal C 3?? is he getting a C5?? why have you chosen to go this route if you dont mind me asking?

we're getting a c4 and have decided to do this as Wilbur will be flying and may be exposed to unknown variables. Since para influenza is highly contagious i wanted to give Wilbur as much immunity as possible. If possible i would have preferred the c5 but our breeders vet doesn't give it to puppies of 8 weeks. I could well just be an over-cautious worry-wart; it wouldn't be the first time :D