12 Yr Old Golden Retreiver Coughing Up Blood

indigirl

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for all the well wishes for Reg. I came home about 2:30 and went straight to bed. When I left the IV was running and Reg was settled and did not seem to be in any pain. We cant give him anything like panadol (the doggy equivalent) as its contra indicated for blood clotting issues. So we have to try and get his fever down by keeping him cool and hydrated.

He wanted to go to the loo so we carried him out the back. He managed to stand and walk a few steps and pee. We then carried him back indoors, but even that slight effort made him bleed a little again.

Am about to feed and settle my own dogs then head back over to Reg. If his owner hasnt had any sleep, will sit with Reg so she can sleep for a few hours.

Reg has been so good through all of this. He has let us poke and prod him without protest. He is such a sweet old boy.

He may not be weight bearing due to fatigue, but he may have also had a bleed into his joints, which is very painful for them.

I had a major life threatening blood loss and a fast blood transfusion can make your body go a bit silly!

I was freezing and shivering and asking for more blankets, when in reality I actually had a fever. They told me it was a side effect of a blood transfusion, and the fact they had to put it in so fast.

Due to the fact he is anemic will also make him feel like crap. Blood transfusions in people can bring on flu like symptoms from memory as well.

Oh and while I remember rapid blood loss and fast transfusions can give the kidneys a hard time so plenty of fluids and keep an eye on his urine output and colour.

I am still having my kidney function tested from time to time 2 years on.

He may not be weight bearing due to fatigue, but he may have also had a bleed into his joints, which is very painful for them.

I had a major life threatening blood loss and a fast blood transfusion can make your body go a bit silly!

I was freezing and shivering and asking for more blankets, when in reality I actually had a fever. They told me it was a side effect of a blood transfusion, and the fact they had to put it in so fast.

Due to the fact he is anemic will also make him feel like crap. Blood transfusions in people can bring on flu like symptoms from memory as well.

Oh and while I remember rapid blood loss and fast transfusions can give the kidneys a hard time so plenty of fluids and keep an eye on his urine output and colour.

His kidneys are still working and his urine seemed normal colour. The blood transfusion went in very fast due to him losing so much blood so quickly. He had collapsed after it and was getting very still and not responding much so we had to get the blood into him fast. Vet grabbed his own elderly dog, knocked it out and we took the blood from her. There was no time for me to go get one of my dogs.

Thanks for your insights! It has been so helpful to get info from ppl here. Im exhausted and can only imagine how his owner is feeling. She has been brilliant with him, really nursing and nurturing him through this. They are on her mattress on loungeroom floor so she can be with him at all times. The only time she has left his side is when I was there with Reg and she left to get IV stuff for him.

I am hoping and praying Reg can overcome the fever. I wish there was more I could do for him but there isnt. He has a cool coat on and is under the ceiling fan with the aircon on.

The owner is a work colleague. And whilst she and I have had our differences at work we have always seen eye to eye about our dogs. Im smitten by Reg - as Im sure you can all tell lol His owner is devoted to him and will do all that is humanely possible to get him through this. That being said she is also realistic and should the vet tell her that the kindest thing would be to PTS I know she will do what is right for Reg without hesitation.

We have already discussed that if needs be she will take this week off work to care for Reg. I have next week off work as I am changing jobs so can have him next week here with me while she is at work that week if necessary. The vet bill for all this wont be pretty, I think its at $900 already but that's not an issue for her. It was all the after hours stuff I think which has cost the most.

If we can get him through the fever then I think he will have an excellent change of a full recovery. Keeping him quiet wont be hard he is 12 yrs old and jsut lays around and sleeps all day usually.

Ive really appreciated all the support Ive gotten here. has my a huge difference to my coping abilities through this entire saga.

His kidneys are still working and his urine seemed normal colour. The blood transfusion went in very fast due to him losing so much blood so quickly. He had collapsed after it and was getting very still and not responding much so we had to get the blood into him fast. Vet grabbed his own elderly dog, knocked it out and we took the blood from her. There was no time for me to go get one of my dogs.

Thanks for your insights! It has been so helpful to get info from ppl here. Im exhausted and can only imagine how his owner is feeling. She has been brilliant with him, really nursing and nurturing him through this. They are on her mattress on loungeroom floor so she can be with him at all times. The only time she has left his side is when I was there with Reg and she left to get IV stuff for him.

I am hoping and praying Reg can overcome the fever. I wish there was more I could do for him but there isnt. He has a cool coat on and is under the ceiling fan with the aircon on.

You are both doing everthing you can, now he will just have to fight it.

I hope if I ever have a really unwell dog I have a friend like you to help me out.

Goodluck and still thinking of you all

I've only just seen this and read the whole thread with my heart in my mouth. I remember you talking about Reg so lovingly previously :banghead:

Sending all our love and strength to the gorgeous boy

Reg is settled and comfortable and holding his own. Owner has a friend with her so Im staying home this evening and spending some time with my own dogs. Will call her tomorrow morning for an update.

Thanks to everyone who is thinkign of Reg and wishing him well :banghead: