Help - I Have A Snake In My Yard

GoldenWei

looks like he's desperately trying to get to the temp of your house, the poor bugger :laugh:

this heat is merciless on unlucky reptiles. If you have flat land and dams consider putting a few big rocks up the other side near the dams for shelter/cool for the snakes. They wont need to venture down to your house if they have everything they need somewhere else.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yuck - i really do not like snakes (sorry snake people)

Only time I have ever come across a snake was a dead one in a horse paddock - one of the horses must have trampled it, which in itself was scary as it was a red belly and horse was lucky not to get bitten

red bellies are not that aggressive compared to hte rest. They really are 'use venom as last resort' type snakes. Tigers on the other hand are aggressive old fellas that wen provoked can start to chase you (especially on really hot days) but poor red bellies get a bad rap!

looks like he's desperately trying to get to the temp of your house, the poor bugger :laugh:

this heat is merciless on unlucky reptiles. If you have flat land and dams consider putting a few big rocks up the other side near the dams for shelter/cool for the snakes. They wont need to venture down to your house if they have everything they need somewhere else.

It hasn't been very hot here over the past few days, just a bit humid. I know why its here though, the neighbour cleared most of the land behind us on the weekend, they are on 4 or so acres, cut the grass really short, it was very long before. Snake must of lost its hidey hole and is looking for another one. We don't have dams, but all surrounding properties do. We are only on 3/4 of an acre.

Hurry up snake man!

Usually red bellies will try and keep away from anything harmful and will try and hide until it thinks the danger has passed. They are one of my favourite snakes. Not normally agressive or territorial (though will obviously defend itself if threatened) and very handy at keeping brown snakes away. Hopefully your snake collector can get it for you and relocate it. Browns are a different kettle of fish altogether.

Usually red bellies will try and keep away from anything harmful and will try and hide until it thinks the danger has passed. They are one of my favourite snakes. Not normally agressive or territorial (though will obviously defend itself if threatened) and very handy at keeping brown snakes away. Hopefully your snake collector can get it for you and relocate it. Browns are a different kettle of fish altogether.

Hang in there Goldie Girl. You're doing everything right! :D

Keeping the curious and therefore potentially threating away from the snake is the best thing.

I'm a snake 'fan' (prefer non venomous python types though!) but my heart still skipped a beat when a big Tiger glided past my boot when I was hammering star pickets around our dam last Spring! Must have just come out of hybernation and was potentially grumpy! :laugh:

What's your geography? I got really pissed off with a so called snake expert at our Local Agi Show a couple of years ago when he told me (and other onlookers) that red-bellied blacks were not indiginous to Victoria and if I saw some down here they must have "hitch hiked" What an IDIOT!!

Wouldn't have been so bad except that he was there to inform the Public. :D I've got heaps of books showing that they are along the east Coast all the way to the Otways.

Hopefully your snake will stay put and the catcher will be there soon.

Edited by LizT

Snake is gone thank god. I feel much better now. It was a bit of a delicate operation.

Liz: We are at the base of the Blue Mnts, its a bit hilly, a couple of huge dams near us, mainly on the other side of the road, but a couple of smaller ones on either side. A few trees, but not a lot. There is a creek about 1km away. Grass is a bit long in the property behind us, but at the sides its quite short as either the goats and horses eat it, or the other side is mown reasonably regularly. Maybe I should get some goats, actually I like the geese idea.

Snake is gone thank god. I feel much better now. It was a bit of a delicate operation.

Liz: We are at the base of the Blue Mnts, its a bit hilly, a couple of huge dams near us, mainly on the other side of the road, but a couple of smaller ones on either side. A few trees, but not a lot. There is a creek about 1km away. Grass is a bit long in the property behind us, but at the sides its quite short as either the goats and horses eat it, or the other side is mown reasonably regularly. Maybe I should get some goats, actually I like the geese idea.

well, thank goodness for that!! I have been holding my breath for you.......

Glad to hear. Did someone take it away?

I think snakes are incredible creatures and I find them very fascinating as long as they are on the tv or in some kind of enclosure. just looking at that picture gave me the heebies, one day I hope to live on a property and that is the one thing I dread is snakes eek.

Glad you and your dogs are safe and that the snake is gone, did you watch the man catch it? If that had been me watching him, i would have had my hand over my mouth,teeth clenched and every time the snake moved I would scream :eek: I respect snakes but Im freakin petrified of them.

yeah, two men came and got it. I did watch, it didn't look particularly threatened at all when they took it out, it just came out, stuck its tongue out a few times and went slowly into the canvas/net/bag thing they use. Its head was so small though, compared to the rest of its body!

That sliding door is the door that leads from the kitchen/family out into the dog yard, the dogs were let out atleast 3 times overnight (puppy house-training) from about 11pm until about 8am when I got up... no idea when it got there, but I can only assume its been there most of the night. I freaked when I saw it.

That sliding door is the door that leads from the kitchen/family out into the dog yard, the dogs were let out atleast 3 times overnight (puppy house-training) from about 11pm until about 8am when I got up... no idea when it got there, but I can only assume its been there most of the night. I freaked when I saw it.

And I thought catching "Huntsmen" (spider) was tricky!!! And I freaked when one was on my wardrobe door last night....still put him outside though.

Glad it all went well, probably be years before you see another one. :thumbsup:

Edited by LizT

if it was a baby I wouldn't be so worried, but I think its an adult.

Just noting this - baby snakes are still just as dangerous as adults!!! - due to the fact (so I'm told) that babies don't know how to regulate the amount of venom they inject - so they inject all of it - whereas adults generally keep some for "back up".....

Anyways - whether this is true or not - babies still produce the same type of venom - so are still very dangerous!!!

Yes this is true....