Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow that was fantastic! I took Hudson into work today, and he will not do anything I ask him with people around who he can talk to! haha

I look forward to practicing though and learning some new things!

Yes thats a special dog trick ;) If they can make you look like a fool they will. :laugh:

Some of the CCD rounds are a lot harder than others and I/we have found that a lot of the Queensland judges will give you every position in every pace, so effectively the CCD heelwork is as hard as the Open heelwork.

This is STrauss's CCD round from Monday at the Royal. Very tough for a baby dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch\?v=CX9rVfl-ETQ

Very nice work for a baby boy Ptolomy, congrats!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Have any of you guys trialled without attending obedience class? Since signing up to my class 2 months or so ago, I've been able to attend a grand total of one class :( I always seem to get stuck with working Sundays. Boo. I really want to keep teaching Scooter stuff but I'm such a crap teacher!! And I haven't a car so the school I'm currently with is the only one I can get to. Such a waste of money, really. Bah. It's really really hard training such a small dog with luring, his heelwork is pretty crap cos he keeps walking at an angle toward me instead of straight forward. But we take each day as it comes :) Maybe one day he'll come when called!

E x

Hey PA - ozjen recently got a CCD pass with her Papillon Jasper, maybe get some tips from her. She doesn't train at a club really that I know of.

I will tell you this - the Stand For Exam was quite hilarious :laugh:

PA - a friend down here has had a lot of success with her (tiny) Pap using a target stick - dog is working nice and straight, and she's used it for SFE too - means she can stay upright, and stop the dog angling in.

PA, having a short dog myself, training sticks, or soft treats (peanut butter, baby food, liverwurst, etc) spread on a wooden spoon or ladle, are great so you can use them to reward in place.

Lots of stationary work for heel- ie reward for a nice sit in place, lots of one or two steps, then reward heavily for a sit in heel. Pivotwork for improving hind end awareness is really useful for small dogs as well.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Hey PA - ozjen recently got a CCD pass with her Papillon Jasper, maybe get some tips from her. She doesn't train at a club really that I know of.

I will tell you this - the Stand For Exam was quite hilarious :laugh:

LOL! Thanks amypie, I will most likely harrass her some time tomorrow! x

PA - a friend down here has had a lot of success with her (tiny) Pap using a target stick - dog is working nice and straight, and she's used it for SFE too - means she can stay upright, and stop the dog angling in.

OOOH!!! Luke gave me a target stick that I haven't used!! WOO!!! Awesome, thanks!! x

Train next to a wall to get the dog to stay straight :)

Great idea, thank you! :)

PA, having a short dog myself, training sticks, or soft treats (peanut butter, baby food, liverwurst, etc) spread on a wooden spoon or ladle, are great so you can use them to reward in place.

Lots of stationary work for heel- ie reward for a nice sit in place, lots of one or two steps, then reward heavily for a sit in heel. Pivotwork for improving hind end awareness is really useful for small dogs as well.

Oooh, I love Shandy so much... I'll go grab some baby food tomorrow. Maybe some Laughing Cow, he lurves soft cheese. I don't know what pivotwork is... methinks some youtube studying is in store for tomorrow. Cheers! x

Which hand have you got the treat in PA? Pups often go crooked like that if you have the treat in your right hand.

All the Paps I've taught have done well. Clever little dogs.

Mmm, yep, I have it in the right hand. :o Ooops.

Thanks loads guys! :D

E x

Hey PA, if you "like" Leerburg Video & Kennel on Facebook, top of the page is about training a small dog. :) I would link it for you but I'm on my iPhone and that would be just too difficult. :D