Poll: Have You Ever Used The Report Button

sandgrubber

Use of Report button on DOL  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you used the Report button?

• Never
    • Once
    • Two or three times
    • More than three times
    • Quite often

I used the report function once when I was accused of being into bestiality :rofl: I then got reported and got a warning for retaliating and calling her a moron..which really, who could blame me and what I said to her wasn't even 1/4 as offensive as what she said to me.

Maybe you need to read the forum rules and learn the reason the report button exists. If you retaliate and personally attack people, you are equally to blame and deserve your warning.

SBT303

I havent used it and probably wont unless there was a severe breach of forum rules, i dont think i have the right to moderate/ police other peoples opinions

Err, pressing the report button does NOT make you a moderator. It alerts the REAL mods to assess the thread and take action if they think necessary.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never have reported, and possibly never will.

The threads and posts that can and probably should be reported are the ones that are the most fun to read :laugh:

I also feel the Troy does a great job.

I'm with you Dyzney :rofl:

I didn't even realise that the button was there until yesterday.

Anyhow, it's a computer for Christs sake - not your next door neighbour yelling on your face. If you don't like what someone has to say just turn it off, or block them. Easy fixed :laugh: I dont think I would report someone unless I felt that I was being personally threatened.

Another one here who has never used it and probably never will. I don't come in here as often as I used to but I still like to pop in from time time. When I first joined a few years ago I had a couple of threads deleted because other people reported them although not for anything I said I don't think, more because those words we aren't allowed to use anymore were being bandied around a lot by a select little group. I had a genuine beef but I think because I was new the little band of DOL police of the time thought I was a troll. It didn't bother me too much, I can't even remember who was on the attack, well I can remember a couple but I'll never tell. :laugh: I try to stay out of those sort of discussions these days, but like others I do rather like reading them. :rofl: Shame on me. :laugh:

Maybe you need to read the forum rules and learn the reason the report button exists. If you retaliate and personally attack people, you are equally to blame and deserve your warning.

well excuse me for being human.

I have used it two or three times I think, but only to report comments that were particularly nasty or offensive made to other people, not to me, and once to report a thread that was just degenerating into one person slinging off at everyone who posted in the thread, even though the other posters were actually being polite and constructive.

Edited by Daisy

well excuse me for being human.

Did you even read my post? Read the forum rules and you willsee I have only stated what is in them.

If you have an issue with what a person writes or you feel you are being unfairly attacked, send a report to the moderators via the 'Report' button on the bottom left of the relevant post and let them decide. Before sending the report though, make sure 'your hands are clean' (ie you said nothing to provoke the response) or you did not write something that our initial reaction is 'well what did you expect after writing that'.

If someone insults or attacks you, do not respond in kind. The excuse of "they started it" is incredibly lame and it won't stop you getting a warning. It is also extremely annoying to have to clean up a topic where a couple of people have started an argument between themselves.

Yes I am well aware of the rules now thanks Gareth, at the time I didn't realise I would get warning for using the word Moron as I have seen far worse being used and not removed in the past 2 years.

I am now aware that when someone insults me, that I should press report and bite my tongue (or hold my fingers).

Never, but my posts have been reported a few times, I tend to rub some people the wrong way, meh. :laugh:

Maybe you complained about their spelling - that's absolutely the STUPIDEST thing I've been reported for (and, even stranger, got a warning!) all I did was suggest that the OP in that particular thread might use their "spellcheck" :rofl:

Nope didn't know it existed until recently.

I would have used it about a year ago when a poor woman got verbally attacked by many dolers. It got shut down, but approx 24 hours later someone started up a thread to find out what had happened in the previous thread and that one got shut down too :D

I find most of the fiery debates amusing, have even partaken in a couple myself with enjoyment. Sometimes I actually wonder why threads get shut down - they don't seem offensive to me

Nope never used the report button. Would only use if threatened or some classy articulate person drops an "F' bomb (can I type that? :D ) and similar profanities.

Everything else I could care less about.

Edited by whippets

I will never use it ,the day i feel the need to report people is the day i will leave DOL.

I think there are serial reporters & get a kick out of doing it.

I have been reported LOL in a breed specific thread where someone suggested a said dog winning was a set up & i defended them.

I see it this way if you dont like a post /topic then dont read it but generally the ones that seem to report read it all & even post & then press the special button :D

I guess simply put its like TV if you dont like it switch channels :angel:

The discussion of forum moderation leaves me curious to know if people use the Report button. Probably better not to replay the circumstances under which you used it . . . no need to reopen old wounds.

I've needed to use it about ten times.

It takes a lot to push my button and then hence make me push THAT button, but I have. A few times when comments have become personal and a few other times when the thread has been contaminated by clearly someone of younger age trying to stir things up.

I have huge respect for the job Troy (and the moderators) does with this place. I actually run 2 forum boards of my own, so I can understand some of the stuff he has to deal with... it's not as easy as we'd like to think trying to maintain a balance where most people are happy with how things are run - trust me on that one! I can just imagine the daily things he has to deal with, and that takes some serious intestinal fortitude... much kudos to Troy for being able to be honest and fair in his dealings with all members.

The beauty of forum boards are that one CAN sit and take some time to compose their replies fully before actually hitting the "reply/post" button - read and reread and consider how the post may be read by others before posting, and there shouldn't be too much in the way of "fallout" from moderators/admins... of course, a good command of written English can help too... *grin*

T.