Poll: Have You Ever Used The Report Button

sandgrubber

Use of Report button on DOL  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you used the Report button?

• Never
    • Once
    • Two or three times
    • More than three times
    • Quite often

I have reported a couple of offensive signatures and they were removed immediately, which made me feel as though I'd done the right thing and not "dobbed" as someone called it.

And I've reported a couple of posts that were, to my way of thinking, way out of line and just plain nasty.

I use the ignore function for people who, I think, have become legends in their own minds (LOL), but I wouldn't use block on PMs because if someone wants to send me something attacking or offensive, I can respond showing how much more intelligent and reasonable I am :):cheer::cheer: .

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big lover of free speech so I havent "reported" anything and wouldn't unless maybe it was exceptionally serious. I think I was reported once tho - kinda surprised me at the time as I didn't think what I said was much at all - but I accepted the process and didn't argue the point.

But it made me much less free in my participation here, I don't join in threads as freely as I did before and I censor almost everything I write (including this comment which is taking me ages to do!! LOL). And some topics I simply won't even respond to - my fingers itch to get typing but my brain says - "Step away from the computer!!"

Which is why I don't like to report people - if you get too precious and report or try to ban every little thing that upsets you, you lose people's individuality and personalities and I prefer the variety and spice you get when people don't feel too constrained. But thats just me.

Genuine abuse, highly offensive language or content and spam don't = free speech tho - IMHO.

Had no idea there was report button, and I must be blind because I still can't see one. Where the hell is it?

Ok forget that. It shows up now, that I am logged in. I usually browse not logged in so don't see it.

At least now I know what it is for.

Edited by dancinbcs

Genuine abuse, highly offensive language or content and spam don't = free speech tho - IMHO.

I couldn't agree with you more, and needs to be recognised in "real life". The concept of "free speech" has lost a lot of its meaning when people think it means you have rights with no responsibility.

I used the report function once when I was accused of being into bestiality :) I then got reported and got a warning for retaliating and calling her a moron..which really, who could blame me and what I said to her wasn't even 1/4 as offensive as what she said to me.

I actually read this persons posts now and I enjoy them, so maybe she was just having a bad day, or she just is anti-pugger :cheer:

I havent used it and proberbly wont unless there was a severe breach of forum rules, i dont think i have the right to moderate/ police other peoples opinions, plus the fact i usually miss the drama and am left wondering what everyone is upset about :)

Never have reported, and possibly never will.

The threads and posts that can and probably should be reported are the ones that are the most fun to read :laugh:

I also feel the Troy does a great job.

I must admit I do miss some of the threads where people used to guess someone had assumed another identity to be offensive and rude or just naughty on the forum. I was amazed that people could pick them :laugh: .

We are now not allowed to say things and use words such as

trainwreck

or

get out the popcorn

and the like :rofl:. And when you've been a DOL tragic like Mother Moocher and have been around for as long, you can generally pick the threads from the start which are going to be closed or removed. Some of them were fun when it was easy to pick that the person wasn't genuine, but just out to stir. However, when people obviously have a genuine concern and come here for advice and are sent up and ridiculed ..... I don't have any truck with that sort of behaviour. And I think it shames the people who do the ridiculing more than the person wanting help.

I have never used it - but upon reflection and the discussion started by Brooke - I think it should be used more often by all of us. I have actually been thinking for some time that this forum has come to be very restrictive - if you don't post by the party line you go up in flames very quickly - and I am not talking about anything that has happened to me personally but what I have read on threads. The forum has become very predictable, boring and often nasty.

Edited by frufru

I have never used it - but upon reflection and the discussion started by Brooke - I think it should be used more often by all of us. I have actually been thinking for some time that this forum has come to be very restrictive - if you don't post by the party line you go up in flames very quickly - and I am not talking about anything that has happened to me personally but what I have read on threads. The forum has become very predictable, boring and often nasty.

I don't agree with you at all :laugh: Compared to some other forums DOL is squeaky clean and I think Troy does an excellent job. It's too much use of the report button and too much moderation that makes forums boring and predictable and there's nothing wrong with a bit of nastiness now and again, spices things up a little :rofl:

Never and by the reading some of the posts in this thread, I probably won't ever have to, as one of the many "DOL POLICE" will probably do it before I even have a chance to consider it :laugh:

Gotta love the DOL Police hey :laugh:

They have even picked me up on my signatures being a bit too big in the past :D, at least one of them personally pm'd me first to lay down the law about it. Maybe they are moderator wannabes's :):)

YesTroy does a brilliant job with this forum! :rofl:

I don't agree with you at all :laugh: Compared to some other forums DOL is squeaky clean and I think Troy does an excellent job.

OMG, I totally agree. I have been on some forums (admittedly a long time ago when I first got internet) and those people were psycho! They wished cancer on each other because the other person deigned to disagree about important things like who was a better guitar player in a band etc. :rofl: I got outta there quick.

I think DOL has a pretty good balance of being informative and entertaining. Good onya Troy for not over moderating the forum and sucking the human aspect out of it.

Back to the question at hand; I have never reported a post, mainly because a) I am almost impossible to offend personally and b) I am really only a voyeur in the more heated discussions...I don't tend to get involved (mainly because they are generally not about something that I am personally or emotionally invested in). But I do enjoy reading them. :laugh:

Edited by New Age Outlaw