Should I Report This? Or Let It Go.. Update: She Came Back

So I was at the dog park, (please don't make this an anti dog park thread as thats not the point here :D)

A kelpie cross named Jess, was stalking(herding?) my friends dog Rocky, who I think is a kelpiex also(the owner is a DOLer :D). Now Rocky was completely ignoring her and playing with his ball. When Jess went from stalking to nipping, and then it turned into a full on attack. Rocky was yelping and trying to defend himself, when Rosie, his packmate, (who is a really lovely dobermanx) jumped into the fray to defend her pack mate. At this point Rocky ran off and away from the situation.

I ran forward to stop it. Grabbing Rosie who immediately stopped and went still, at this point Jess lunged at me and though I dodged out of the way she still caught my arm, I had a jumper on though so she didn't manage to do much damage. I'm guessing that If I hadn't has a jumper on, I would need stitches.

IMG_0325.jpg

When I then yelled at Jess, she backed off and ran away.

The owner of Jess the kelpie, was leaning against the fence this entire time, basically completely ignoring what her dog was doing. She eventually strolled over and half heartedly called Jess. Jess ignored her and came back to again attack Rocky, who's owner was trying to put him on lead. She already had Rosie on lead at this point. I jumped forward and yelled at Jess, who backed off immediately and ran away again.

I then confronted Jess's owner. Very politely. I told her that she needed to deal with her dogs issues because I know this is not the first situation shes caused, showed her the mark on my arm. Told her that this was no acceptable, that she needed to seek out professional help or not come back to the dog park.

She basically denied everything, never apologized, said it was my own fault for getting in the way of the dog fight (which is paritally true), and that theres nothing wrong with her dog, shes not aggressive and it was obviously the other dogs fault.

I said I've seen her cause fights, including attacking my friends poodle on a separate occasion. The poodle was on lead at the time and was chewing on his ball. The owner continued to deny it, said she didn't need any trainers help and there was no issue with her dog. I told her how much vet bills where going to cost when her dog puts holes in another dog or person, or a dog puts holes in her. Told her I'm sorry, but if I saw the dog cause any kind of situation again I would have to report it, she said "Go ahead, just try it" and stormed off. I let it go at this point to go wash my arm.

A couple of minutes passed, when I heard Rocks owner yell, and saw that Jess was about to cause another fight. I ran in again but the situation was over before I got there. At this point Jess's owner approached Rocky's owner, and started having a go at her, saying that she comes to the dog park to have a nice time and this wasn't her fault. That people shouldn't be so rude. Her dog was not causing any problems. I pulled up my sleeve, said "Hey lady, see this? Thats from your dog, how is that Not a problem!?"

She stormed off again and finally left the park. Never once saw her put a lead on Jess either.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to report her, and if I want to report her how to do so? I don't know her name or anything. I've been told that this dog has attacked numerous dogs.

Bit shaken up by the whole situation really :laugh:, and my arm hurts a fair bit too.

Edit to add: The dog park is in Frenchs forest, its the Frenchs Forest Showground.

The dog is a kelpie x (potentially border collie), with black and white markings. Her name is Jess.

The owner has another dog as well, a small terrier cross with tan coloured long wirey hair.

If anyone goes to this park and comes across these dogs and knows the name of the lady, please PM me.

Edited by lovemesideways

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally I would report it. Especially if this dog has attacked dogs on lead as well. Imagine there were children walking with adults and a dog....if this dog nipped at them it could be a very different outcome altogether.

Did the dog break your skin at all? I cannot tell from the picture. Are you up to date with tetanus? Just be sure to keep an eye on it. I hope you feel better soon.

Basically, do what you feel is right...BUT if it were me...I'd be reporting it.

Susan

Given that it is apparently a pattern of behaviour and that the owner is in denial, I would report it. With limited details they may not be able to do much, but if she goes at the same time each day let them know that too.

Edited by Diva

Not a single doubt in my mind. I would report it. The fact that she won't take ownership for her dogs behaviour and blaming others is a problem in itself and needs to be sorted out or it will continue to happen.

Do you know if she is a regular to the dog park? If so, surely somebody will know her. She obviously doesn't see the bad side of her dog, and an owner like that is a danger. Next time it could be a small dog or a child.

Perhaps you should have that arm looked at by a medico.

Who do I report it to? I don't know her name, I just know her dogs name and what kind of dog it is.

Did the dog break your skin at all? I cannot tell from the picture. Are you up to date with tetanus? Just be sure to keep an eye on it. I hope you feel better soon.

Yeah it broke the skin, it massively bruised around the area. I'm sure it will turn into a spectacular colour tomorrow. I'm not sure about tetanus.. I'll have to ask my mum.

Without a doubt, report it. It's probably not worthy of the cops attention (You could give it a go? But being that you dont have much info I doubt they'd do much).. but I'd definitely report it the council area who runs the dog park.

Who do I report it to? I don't know her name, I just know her dogs name and what kind of dog it is.

Probably the council? Just tell them what you know, they may say they can't do anything with it but it's good to have it on the record in case there is a diligent ranger willing to keep an eye out.

Give the council all the details of the dog and owner - descriptions etc and time they're usually in the park. Council ranger can then organise to visit and see if they can find the dog and owner.

It's worth reporting and having it on record in case something happens further.

I recently went through this - reported a dog who had an issue with mine and constantly attacked and harassed and the owner did nothing. Council gave them a formal warning over it - at least I know if something happens again, further action will be taken.

I would report it. Get your arm checked anyway but would be good if there is a record.

I would be angry at the owner. If my dogs bit somebody like that I would have a fit! She needs a wake up call.

That is going to be an amazingly scary bruise tomorrow... get some photos of it in the morning and print them... then if you can go to the council admin section on monday, take the photos down there and ask to lodge a formal complaint about an aggressive dog that is constantly let to run in the park with no owner control or care.

The dog should not be allowed to run with other dogs if it's uncontrollable and aggressive - and the owner needs a good slap upside the head also!

I have been known to swing the boot into a dog that was attacking one of mine - and I didn't care if it got hurt... by the way it winced off afterwards I think I might have cracked one of it's ribs... errr!

T.

That is going to be an amazingly scary bruise tomorrow... get some photos of it in the morning and print them... then if you can go to the council admin section on monday, take the photos down there and ask to lodge a formal complaint about an aggressive dog that is constantly let to run in the park with no owner control or care.

The dog should not be allowed to run with other dogs if it's uncontrollable and aggressive - and the owner needs a good slap upside the head also!

I have been known to swing the boot into a dog that was attacking one of mine - and I didn't care if it got hurt... by the way it winced off afterwards I think I might have cracked one of it's ribs... errr!

T.

AGREE!

This is exactly why I don't go to dog parks.

I personally probably wouldn't report a dog that bit me while I was breaking up a dog fight, since I think most dogs could redirect and bite a person in those circumstances. When you step in between two fighting dogs, getting bitten is just a risk you take.

But I can understand why you might feel you need to report the owner if that's what it takes to make her control her dog.

Edited to add, I have actually been bitten before while breaking up a dog fight, at an obedience school. I didn't blame the dog for biting me in the heat of the moment - it was so juiced up on adrenaline I'm suspect it didn't even know where it's teeth were going - but I was really angry at the dog's owner for having her dog off leash when she knew it was dog aggressive and didn't have a reliable recall. Still makes me grumpy to think about it.

Edited by Staranais