Fight!

Kirislin

Bitches fighting brings back some nasty memories...............never ever will I have two bitches again, boys only for me :thumbsup:

I hope they are recovering and not effected or hurt too much. I don't envy your situation and hope you can sort things out ok :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't like putting bitches together. I kennel mine dog + bitch. 2 bitches together is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Not always, I had 2 before these, Kiri and Iris and they never fought, Kiri was clearly the top girl and Iris was happy with the arrangement and never challenged her. They were great mates, always playing together and snuggled up together when they slept.

Most of the time the time Penny and Kibah are OK but I have to watch them and avoid situations that might cause a fight. I just lapsed a bit last night. I've just gone out and brought Kibah in, she's been in the car all this time but now I've crated her. I'll be keeping them both apart or on leads for the next little while to see how they are together.

I hope your babies are feeling OK this morning...

My 2 girls are very strictly supervised when there is food involved - basically when whatever they have is going to take longer than a second to swallow. Trouble is a Labrahoover and Zeddy likes to chew every mouthful.

The last time my 2 had a barney it cost me $650 to patch Zeddy up - and you can still see the scars on her legs from where Trouble had ripped them up. Trouble goes for the legs and shakes Zeddy about by them - no mean feat when your dogs are both over 25kgs. Trouble has a scar on her face from a puncture wound to the top of her head allowing a bit of muck into her sinus and developing a huge abcess - that cost me $400 to fix up...

I'm super vigilant about their body language - especially if we are all out in the yard playing with the foster pups... that's usually the catalyst for the girls to do something stupid, and then it will be on. Zeddy is 11 years old, and shouldn't be trying to play rough zoomies and wrestles with the others, especially when Trouble is in Crazy Labrador mode. I let Zeddy play with James (foster Dane X) for very short bursts, as I don't want her doing damage to her old body (her knees aren't the best and I'd like to not have to have surgery).

When my girls go for it, it is with intent... and all I can do is to play referee and pull one off if she has the other down on the ground - neither will back off until exhausted, no matter what I do to try to stop them.

T.

Do hope that both are doing OK now

such a shock for you and them .

dont beat yourself over the lapse of thought it happens to every one at some time .

whippy kisses to both your girls from Ryan 'doodle' whippet :D

thanks for understanding everyone. the poor girls are both very sore today and Kibah is frightened of Penny, I suppose because Penny was the aggressor last night. The other fight they had a couple of years ago, it was Kibah who started it and for several days afterwards I could see she wanted to have another go and finish things off. It's so different this time.

I got up during the night to let Kibah out of the car for a wee and she wanted to come in so I took her to bed with me, keeping Penny on the other side. This morning both are very stiff so I've rugged them to keep their necks warm as well as I think they're really sore there. Kibah then asked to go back into the car so I took her out and she couldn't even jump up, I had to lift her. Just about to warm up her snugglesafe again as that car is freezing.

I just looked up when the last fight was. It was almost exactly 2 years ago. I've been managing their behaviour since then with no problems, it was just a silly thoughtless lapse on my part last night. I got a crate out last night and set it up for Penny, I rarely use crates, but they are invaluable when I do need them. They've been out in the garage unused for ages but I might call them up for duty again, just till things settle.

Edited by Kirislin

Sad to hear there was drama in your house Kirslin. I have always had bitches together- up to four, never an issue. Although they were all born into the group. I have found that outside bitches never seem to gel together completely. Rosie and Luci are bad for food agression, even if its a piece of brussell sprout none of them would dare eat. Its easy to let your guard down when they "think' something might be a treasure.

Im about to go to the vet with Rosie as she has extreme pain on her shoulder, she walks like a stick insect. I was first alerted to it because Luci started to growl at her as I let them out of their crates- obviously her stiff appearance gave the wrong signals.

I hope your lil feisty shelias recover and aremore forgiving this am.

I don't like putting bitches together. I kennel mine dog + bitch. 2 bitches together is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Not always, I had 2 before these, Kiri and Iris and they never fought, Kiri was clearly the top girl and Iris was happy with the arrangement and never challenged her. They were great mates, always playing together and snuggled up together when they slept.

Most of the time the time Penny and Kibah are OK but I have to watch them and avoid situations that might cause a fight. I just lapsed a bit last night. I've just gone out and brought Kibah in, she's been in the car all this time but now I've crated her. I'll be keeping them both apart or on leads for the next little while to see how they are together.

not always? but it did happen didn't it.

I personaly don't seperate them after unless it was a really serious fight that took some time to break up as it's usually only our emotions that keep fights going, dogs generally should be able to move past what just happened if we can get our shit together.

It was a serious fight but I haven't separated them, I am just supervising at this stage. I wouldn't leave them unattended, Kibah is clearly afraid of Penny ATM but if Penny eyeballs her I tell her to move away. My two haven't got over it yet, maybe it's different with danes. Not sure what you mean about getting our shit together.

Females fighting don't always get over it. They are worse than males.

Yes, this has been my experience rather than what Sas has experienced. While it's generally managable with my girls there's always an underlying tension between the 2 of them. The last fight was almost 2 years ago, so it's not a frequent occurrence but I think it would've been if I hadn't been more careful.

It was a serious fight but I haven't separated them, I am just supervising at this stage. I wouldn't leave them unattended, Kibah is clearly afraid of Penny ATM but if Penny eyeballs her I tell her to move away. My two haven't got over it yet, maybe it's different with danes. Not sure what you mean about getting our shit together.

Sorry, my feral kiwi language.

I mean in the sense, if we don't fall apart emotionaly because there was a fight they can move past the situation alot faster than us freaking out and being stressy about it.

Females fighting don't always get over it. They are worse than males.

Yes, this has been my experience rather than what Sas has experienced. While it's generally managable with my girls there's always an underlying tension between the 2 of them. The last fight was almost 2 years ago, so it's not a frequent occurrence but I think it would've been if I hadn't been more careful.

Only you can tell whether they've still got the fight left in them. If you're concerned, just don't let them out together unsupervised until they seem relaxed in each others pressence again.

My last 2 fosters were females and picked fights with my resident bitch so I understand the bitch thing but I'm not dealing with 2 entire bitches are you? If they're desexed then you shouldn't be experiencing the super serious bitch fight that people are referring too.

If they've had tiffs before, I'd be looking at if I have relaxed the routine in the house and go back to super structure and routine. If at a complete loss, I'd call iin the professionals.

Good luck.

Edited by sas

not always? but it did happen didn't it.

What's done is done, your posts of "I never..." really aren't of any help are they?

Kirislin - I hope the girls will be ok, just watch for fluid building up under the skin (on the girls neck you think might be bruised) and Pers's suggestion of a hottie each and something sweet to drink is a good one :laugh:

I hope apart from being a little sore and sorry for themselves that tomorrow brings some calm.

My girls have always been OK with each other within hours of a fight because I matter-of-factly just take them off to the vet (separately) for a check over and any patching up that's needed, and then just carry on as usual... if I'm not freaking, they aren't peaking... *grin*

T.

Can you give both senile delinquents ( we have two the same!) a HW bottle and a little something sweet to drink/eat? They will both be a bit shocky, maybe.. .and I find this helps when our two go at it. One of our old girls shivers & shakes ..... the extra warmth/sugar helps.

Oh- and teh same for their mum! :eek::laugh:

Carbohydrates - lol. For people: hot sweet tea and sweet biscuits. Same for dogs if they like it. LOL

I would never of thought warmth and sugar for the shock, thanks so much for that great hint, I will add to my doggie first aid book

As above, Pandii. ;)

Two of our girls hate each other with a passion, used to be best buddies but some how it turned ugly. They can't even be trusted through a fence, they will grab each other and won't let go. Stresses me out big time and we have to be on guard the whole time with them to make sure they are well seperated. One started it and the other took it for a long time before fighting back and now it's war unfortunately.

Gosh that is awful. Until Sari joined The Moochers, I rarely had problems. The occasional tiff would occur, same as kids and I'd just tell them not to be stupid, pull them apart and all was well. Different story with Sari, but she is an unknown having been rescued from Renbury earlier this year - turns 14 this year. Would pick a fight at the drop of a hat :rofl: ;)