Dogzonline Project

Steve

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We'll do a couple of squares, I've got some doggy theme fat quarters from the Craft Expo put away somewhere. Think you are right about having it quilted professionally, once it has been sewn together. What about the borders? Will the person doing the sewing squares together look after that - just plain in a best-matching fabric?

The signed squares sound good, will they stand up to life-time washing though? Imagine it will be on Jed's bed at some stage, with dogs lying on it, so will have to be re-washable or dry-cleanable in the longer term?

Small amount of quitling advice

Can I suggest that you wash your fabric before you make your squares rather than after - otherwise you may end up with different sized squares due to shrinkage.

Use only cotten fabrics: Spotlight, lincraft and quilting stores all sell fabric specifically for quilting

If you are going to get your quilt proffessionally quilted on a long arm quiting machine (probably a good idea if it turns our to be bigger than double bed size) then backing and wadding can often be purchased from the quilter as there needs to be quite a lot of extra around the edges to fit the machine.

Can I suggest that you wash your fabric before you make your squares rather than after - otherwise you may end up with different sized squares due to shrinkage.

Use only cotten fabrics: Spotlight, lincraft and quilting stores all sell fabric specifically for quilting

If you are going to get your quilt proffessionally quilted on a long arm quiting machine (probably a good idea if it turns our to be bigger than double bed size) then backing and wadding can often be purchased from the quilter as there needs to be quite a lot of extra around the edges to fit the machine.

Excellent suggestions frufru! :laugh:

I'll be up for a few squares too :)

My mother-in-law-to-be is an amazing quilt maker, she's made us two gorgeous quilts as gifts and she's coming over from America in October this year for a visit and to attend a big quilt show/fair.

I'll see if she can help, maybe people in Brisbane could come along to the quilt show or we could spend a day with her helping those of us that lack skills :laugh: If nothing else I could get her to see if she can get Cavalier or Boxer fabric - the range of fabric in the US is huge compared to here!

Here's a suggestion for non sewers.

Use cotton square available at spotlight or any craft store. Wash it. Then use fabric paint and place you design on.

Many types of fabric paint, the type you can use a paint brush with, or sqeeze bottles that have a raised finish to it.

If there is a few dolers who live near each other or willing to post to each other, worth sharing in the cost of the paint unless you really get into it and make LOTS on you own.

OK, now I am all keen...found out there is a craft group nearby so I well ask the ladies to help me make some squares out of this material I saw on ebay (I hope it is ok to put the link in)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/JAPANESE-RETRO-KAWA...=item1c0a7d5253

Hahaha...it has Westies on it...NO ONE ELSE BUY THIS OR YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE! :)

there is another good design ebay # 120457634054

there are also some on oztion http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auctions.aspx...amp;i=30&d=

Do I put the backing on the squares after I have washed the material and make/hem it so it is 6 1/2" square?

I don't like the idea of messages that may be a constant reminder of something that Jed may well want to put behind her quickly.

Initials etc by all means, but the message thing ring alarm bells for me.

Everyone deals with tragic events differently, but I know people who don;t want reminders in their face all the time JMO.

So what are the decissions made?

Need some guidelines to follow.

Who and where to send them?

What is the closure date?

Is there a theme?

etc etc etc..............................

Thanks Frufru exellent advice

So what are the decissions made?

Need some guidelines to follow.

Who and where to send them?

What is the closure date?

Is there a theme?

etc etc etc..............................

Your square must be 6 1/2 inches finnished, every one remember that only the 6 inch square in the center will be visible after the quilt is sewn together.

When you have finnished your square/s PM me for my address,

Please post all of your finnised squares by the 7/7/10

there is no theme your square is yours to personalise.

if you canot sew there is tuckloads of pattened quilting fabric, you could purcase a fat quarter of any of them, then wash and iron then cut to size and send. Hear is a site that has plenty of examples http://www.patchworkfabrics.com.au/fabrics.html

Edited by SBT303

I don't like the idea of messages that may be a constant reminder of something that Jed may well want to put behind her quickly.

Initials etc by all means, but the message thing ring alarm bells for me.

Everyone deals with tragic events differently, but I know people who don;t want reminders in their face all the time JMO.

I agree with this, and also agree with what Pesh said.

In the interests of the overall design of the quilt, it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a few more guidelines.

For example - For every 'picture' square, we need an abstractly patterned or plain square to balance out the whole quilt and enable the 'picture' squares to become noticeable. Too many painted or printed pictures on the quilt instead of sewn squares may look a little 'muddy' when viewed from a distance.

Is anyone here good at quilt design? Are there other quilt design guidelines?

I now have my material.

As a COMPLETE novice could someone please tell me...after I have washed the material, do I stitch a special backing onto each 6 1/2" piece OR do I just hem each piece then send it to SBT303.

Thanks

This is a wonderful idea. With so many people wanting to contribute it will be an enormous quilt??!!

King size, quilted on both sides!! :)

I'd love to be part of this.