Dogzonline Project

Steve

MDBA Pacers has been working hard on putting together our fundraising competitions - one of which is a quilting competition and one of the categories is for a collaborative piece such as a community quilt. This got me to thinking how awesome it would be if some dogz members got together to make a dogzonline community quilt for us to give to Jed to show her we're thinking of her and praying for her recovery.

Is anyone interested in being part of this?

This is a sneak preview of the quilting comp.

Fundraiser Quilting Competition. Cash Prizes!

Entries can either be based on a traditional or contemporary design. An entrant may apply any techniques including piecing, appliqué, embroidery, whole cloth and/or manipulated fabric, etc. Any materials may be used, but the final result must be flexible in nature and consist of three layers of fabric held together with stitching. Each entrant may submit as many pieces as they like. A label with the entrant’s name, address, telephone number, and email must be securely sewn to the back of the quilt.

An entrant must send the finished product to the mailing address P.O. Box 31 Ganmain NSW 2702 via receipted delivery for the competition by the close date of 28th of January 2011.

Pieces will be judged by votes accepted from attendees at the MDBA PACERS Craft Fair and exhibition on the 19TH AND 20TH of March 2011 and the 4th Annual Master Dog Breeders and Associates Awards presentation evening at the Jika International Melbourne Vic, where craft pieces will be on display in the Hoddle room for judging. In the event of a tie the winner will be decided by a draw of straws.

Groups may want to participate by each member completing a square and a finished quilt being produced on behalf of the group.

Category 1. $50 Cash prize. A quilted item measuring less than 100cm on each side.

Category 2 – $100 Cash Prize. Quilt finished size no smaller than 100cms on each side and no bigger than 150 cm on each side.

Category 3 - $500 Cash Prize. Quilt finished size no smaller than 150 cm on each side and no bigger than 250 cm on each side.

Category 4 - a collaborative piece produced by more than one person. [Any size]

Entries will not be returned to the entrant and will become the property of MDBA Pacers [Preventing Animal Cruelty In Emergency Response Situations]. By entering the competition an entrant gives permission to MDBA Pacers to accept ownership of the product and to use it for promotions, publicity and fundraising activities. Enquiries [email protected] phone 0269276706

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No time to saw due to inability to manage life-work balance.

I would like to sponsor the fabric for the quilt if that's ok with you.

Or

I have 10m of gorgeous indian white silk that I can donate to Jane's quilt. (I once saw a silk quilt and it was stunning)

if you could find out Jed's favourite, we could do a call out for fabric of any patten but must be in that shade...

I would be happy to donate material or "fat squares" to the project

Edited by ~Harminee~

Thinking a bit more about it.

Perhaps, if a wonderful craft person is willing to design, coordinate and put the quilt together, each of us could make one little piece of the quilt.

I am sure that even those time-poor or lacking in craft skills would be able to manage it.

Thoughts?

Perhaps, if a wonderful craft person is willing to design, coordinate and put the quilt together, each of us could make one little piece of the quilt.

I am sure that even those time-poor or lacking in craft skills would be able to manage it.

Thoughts?

I think it is a great idea. It wouldn't have to be anything fancy but will carry the thoughts of us all.

Thoughts?

I think it is a great idea. It wouldn't have to be anything fancy but will carry the thoughts of us all.

I will be in that. Can't sew, not a crafty bone in my body. sorry.

Thoughts?

I think that is a good idea Anna...I can't sew to save myself but could probably make a couple of squares if I had the INSTRUCTIONS/A MAP/HOW-TO-DIRECTIONS/PATTERNS FOR QUILT-MAKING-DUMMIES :laugh:

O.K. go here http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

which ones do you like?

Do you think you could have a go at them - just one square?

I will go with which ever one the majority likes. That site has quite a few nice ones. If you wanted to get as many people as possible to make a square, would it be better to go for an easier one?

What is Jed's taste like? Does she prefer older style things or modern? That may help decide on what style.

Edited by Norskgra

alternatively if people write on a 6 1/2 inch calico square a support message for Jed with a fabric marker.

those squares can then be made into a quilt for her.

I don't mind sewing the calico squares together but baulk at the idea of actually quilting it but there are professionals that can do that.

Just an idea

eta that perhaps if anyone has some special cotton only material they could cut a 6 1/2 inch piece of that fabric as well and it could be interspersed with the squares.

Edited by onsntillnflash

A quick one from work...

I think we must have a project co-ordinator for this. There are so many great ideas, so many suggestions. I would love the quilt to be original, "special", etc

Will anyone volunteer to manage this project?

Ok guys i have done this once befor and they usually turn out fantasticly , The way it was done by mums CWA group was every one made a 6 1/2 inch square of whatever they wanted some were quilted, some were interesting pattern printed on the fabric, some were hand written messages, some were patcwork squares when they were all sewn together it looked fantastic, if you need help to organise this then im happy to help and get the pieces together ready to quilt,

ETA if you cant sew there are millions of different typs of pattend fabric that can be used in quilts all you need to do is go to a quilting/ patchwork shop and look, they usually sell the pattend fabric in quarters you could pick one that represents how you feel and send it in :D

Edited by SBT303