Tina

Winterpaws

Words cannot explain what you have meant to me and the joy you brought me every day.

4 years ago I saw you sitting in our local pound and was sure that your owner would come to collect you. The boys told me that you were terrified of men but I was sure that a purebred ridgeback would be collected by her owners.

3 weeks, later on a Sunday morning I was back at the pound and the boys told me that your time was up and that no-one had come to reclaim you. We really only took northern breed dogs but there was something in your eyes, and my heart which generally ruled my head, made me bring you home. We got you home and you had a rotten ear infection. What luck that was - you were tattoed and some frantic phone calls to the breed club gave me your breeders number. I called and called but no answer. Their phone must have registered all my calls and a few hours later a lovely lady named Jenny called me and confirmed that yes you were a dog that she had bred. You had been named Tina because you were born on the night of a Neil Diamond concert that she had tickets to.

You had kennel cough and Jenny had puppies so I said I would just keep you here until you were over it and then Jenny would take you home to keep you safe again. She was horrified that the people she had trusted to love you forever had dumped you in a pound.

But you had other ideas in mind and you hated hated being in that foster yard all by yourself and so we decided to move you in with our boys, Charlie and Henry. It seems the female touch was what they needed and you slotted in like you had meant to be here all your life. I called Jenny and told her how much we had bonded and she agreed that you could be my girl, my one and only girl to share my secrets and dreams with.

You were so scared of tall men and your new daddy was 6'5". He was so gentle with you and eventually you came to love him and trust him and would go up and rest your head on his lap and give him adoring glances. He loved you so much and was so proud of your ability to trust again.

I was horrified to find you in pain 4 weeks ago and suffering from bloat. I raced you to the vet and you had some serious surgery to remove your spleen which had a large tumour and a part of your stomach. Throughout the surgery and recovery you marvelled everyone with your gorgeous nature. Not once did you complain.

The day before we overcame that hurdle and were to by get your stitches removed you slipped on the tiles swetheart and your leg fell from under you. You shattered your leg and scared your mum so much. Throughout everything I had never heard you complain or cry and you were calling me to help you. I was home by myself and couldn't lift you so we got the vet to come and help me. You were such a good girl and never complained once. Over the last 3 weeks you have braved weekly cast changes with such a gentle and gorgeous nature. The vets and nurses were always so happy to see their gorgeous Tina who took everything in her stride without complaint. You were a clinic favourite and even people in the waiting room would comment on your lovely nature.

I don't know how it happened today Sweetheart, you were just walking along and that other leg collapsed and I heard it break. Daddy wasn't home again but somehow I found some strength and managed to carry you back inside. I was trying to be so strong and not cry and upset you. Though you were in so much pain you were licking the tears from my face to make sure mummy was ok.

We tried so hard baby girl, but I didn't think you would want to be left struggling for months without the use of both back legs. You were such a proud strong girl. The vets think the tumour on your spleen had probably spread and your bones weren't strong anymore. They were such serious breaks for you to suffer. Mummy is struggling so much to come to terms with how you could have two such bad breaks

I thank you so much for being so strong and trying to hold on for mum. Did you know I needed to say goodbye properly? I got to hold you in my arms today and feel you lean against me as the pain finally left your body.

I will miss you every day. I am sitting here looking at your bed and your brothers are not sleeping on it. I think they miss you as much as I do. :) Your cats will miss curling up to you and knowing that you would never hurt them, you were always so gentle with any animal smaller than you.

Fly free my darling girl, Laughing Willows Diamond Tina Red, there will never be another like you. A piece of my heart has gone to the bridge with you

SEC28022010.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

that made me :)

what a wonderful tribute to what sounded like a wonderful dog

and how grateful she must have been to have found you Winterpaws

RIP Tina, run free at Rainbow Bridge.

Oh Winterpaws i am so very, very sorry. You did your very best for your baby girl and im sure if she could have she would still be here with you. Such a beautiful tribute to such a lovely girl, you brought a tear to my eye. Rest in peace sweet Tina run free and whole again at the bridge.

She will never be far from you - a bond like that can never be broken and if you close your eyes im sure you will feel her near you.

Edited by Dust Angel

:):) Oh no Cin,

Only this morning I was wondering how Tina was recovering.

You were her angel, she was so lucky to find you.

All my love to your family and to Jenny from LH,

hugs to the boys who will be missing so much.

I have no words, :cheer:

fly free beautiful girl.

May the longtime sun shine upon you

all love surround you

And the pure light within you

Guide your way home.

fifi, danny & hounds xxxx

:):):cheer:

Touching words for a wonderful companion. Im sure you are all the better (the boyz included) for her girlie presence.

Amazing how treasures can be found in the most unexpected places....how blessed you both were.