So Sorry.

Steve

Yesterday was a beautiful day and I had the beagles around me enjoying the sunlight and chasing each other around the yard obviously also enjoying the warm sunshine for a change.

We had lit a big fire out in one of our paddocks to clean up some old fence posts etc so I had to drive out to check that all was well.

I walked inside from where my son and I had been sitting on the front porch to get the keys. As I came back out I checked to see that he was still playing with the baby beagle which was due to fly home today.

I start the car and begin to drive off. Im not sure if I saw and heard him yelling before or after I felt the lump under the car tyre but the poor little mite has wriggled out of his arms and run out to the car and Ive run the puppy over! :)

Small mercy is that I did a good job of it and he died straight away - at least he didnt suffer. By now the kid is hysterical, the rest of the family have come running and everyone is yelling. Took me a couple of hours to settle down and pluck up enough courage to ring the poor new owner to tell her that the new baby she has been anticipating and getting excited over isnt coming home. :grimace::scared:

RIP Little Vader.

What a bugger. :laugh: ;) :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy, how heartbreaking, I'm sorry to hear this. RIP Vader and sympathies to you and the prospective owner. Is there another litter planned in the not-too-distant-future.

These things can happen - the breeder of our first pup was minding him @ age 14 weeks while we went away. I had given my mother's number as an emergency and on our last night, my Mum rang me in tears to tell me he'd been run over by a tractor driven by the breeder. My OH and I were talking about it last night in fact (happened a year ago) and we agreed that as much as we loved the little fella that went to doggie heaven, we would never have had our Archie. As sad as it is, another little pup will fill the lives of the owners.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

There's nothing worse than that sinking feeling. It sucks, having put in all of the effort to raise them and have a pup ready to leave for it's new home, then have something happen to it.

I'm sure the new family is heart broken, but hopefully they understand that accidents can happen. I'm sure you'll take care of them

RIP littler Vader. So sorry for you Steve, and for the puppy owner. I know a little of what you're going through - many years ago I ran over my own cat in my driveway...to this day I will never forget that feeling in the pit of my stomach when I realised what I had done. :cheer: Hugs to all involved.