Childhood Dream Dog

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a young child any dog would do as a dream dog. I would bring home every stray I could to keep but they always got sent on their way. Mum was so strict on me with this. The dogs we had as kids were random mutts and a Australian Silky Terrier. But my dream dog did not come along until I was 13 and that was a German Shepherd Dog and they were and still are my dream dog.

Another here for a rough collie.

My mother's family loved them and there was a picture of their rough collie laying under my bassinet out in the sun.

Mum though them too big for us in the suburbs and as children we had a cocker cross then a sheltie.

But when I was 18 and living in New Zealand I bought a rough collie.

He lived to 16 and travelled with me around NZ and a lot of Australia.

Back then no one stopped me travelling on buses and trains with him and I never had a problem with rentals or even YHA's or youth hostels!

I grew up on a large sheep farm with a large pack of working sheepdogs but I always wanted a GSD and then when I read Sheila Hockens books about her choc lab guide dog Emma I was going to have one of them too, they were both going to be boys. Now I have 3 female Border collies as pets/sports dogs even though I aalways thought of them as "working dogs" not something you would have as a companion. Can't imagine having another breed.

I always wanted a Cocker Spaniel but we didn't get a dog until I was 22 and he was unwanted, he was a Lakeland Terrier, it was a baptism of fire!

I wasn't in a position to own a dog until I was 40. In the intervening years I met Cockers and I can honestly say I would probably never want one. THey are just not right for me. I'm very much into IGs, whippets and terrier types!

Hmmm, where do I start.......

We used to go to our friends holiday house each year. Down the end of the street was a beuatiful rough collie, and I wanted to get one just like him.

Wanted to own a St Bernard as they looked sooo cute, but then decided against it after I heard about the movie Cujo :dancingelephant:

My aunt had the sweetest rotty when I was little and I wanted one just like her. When I was older I remember people telling me me that they were vicious dogs and all I could think of was my aunts big sook.

My aunt also had an OES and I wanted one of them too.

Loved the comic strip Marmaduke so I decided the dog for me was a dane :happydance:

Also always wanted a dalmation.

I have never owned any of these breeds but I working on wearing my OH down to get a rough collie in rescue and my next birthday present will be a dal puppy :lollipop:

I wanted a GSD when I was a child. I had met a few people that had extremely well-trained GSDs, and that is what I wanted.

The closest I got was to convince my mum to buy me buy a large silk handkerchief with a beautiful GSD on it, from the haberdashery shop in Glenroy. I used to get it out and look at it all the time. :dancingelephant:

I grew up always being surrounded by GSD's dogs because my parents bred them.

My Dad took me to the Royal show when I was in my very early teens, and we were in the dog section and told me to pick out a small breed that I would like to own, and he would look into them for me.

I instantly feel in love with the Cavaliers !

Well it never panned out, and instead he let me choose a little cross bred puppy at the Animal Welfare shelter in SA.

She was so loyal , and I had her for years until she got cancer and had to be pts.:happydance:

I ended getting into farm type heeler dogs (from shelters.) and competed in obedience trials and some agility with them. I was quite active back then!

Years later when I got married in my early 30's, I said to my DH could we maybe look into getting a Cav? We still had my last dog Jenna, but she was getting on in age, and I wanted my next dog to fit the lifestyle I lead now.. which is not active anymore.

Well we did our research etc, and went to a show (just to look at them!) and ended up falling in love with Joey (who was being shown at the time but up for sale to the right people).

The rest is history!!

So I only got my dream dog in my 30's many years later ! :dancingelephant:

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

My dream dog as a child was a German Shepherd. When I was 6 there was one that used to live down the road, it used to take itself for walks up the middle of the road everyday. From then on I wanted one and as soon as I finished high school and got a job I saved up for one and ended up bringing home Benson, he was everything I had imagined and more.

My kids have dream dogs - my daughter - 9 - wants a Border Collie and my son - 11 - wants a Golder Retriever.

I have told them that when they move out of home and are in the position to own dogs we will buy them their first dog from a reputable breeder.

I always had a Blue Heeler as my dream dog - moved the lerle look - probably looking at it now it was more like the blue merle border collies that i liked - but my first dog was a Blue Heeler x called Jess - beautiful girl.

Now my next dream dog (s) are a lappie and then a greyhound

When I was a kid I loved GSDs and desperately wanted one. Unfortunately the breed doesn't really appeal to me anymore :dancingelephant:

THen when I was in my teens I discovered the bully breeds and drooled over pitties and bull terriers. Still love bullies, but now my dream dog is a Rotty.

I wanted a Border Collie for a while, and then I changed my mind to Australian Shepherds. I'm getting my Aussie hopefully at the end of this year or beginning of next year. Dream come true! Woooo!

Ever since I was five I wanted a bright RED, short coated, floppy eared dog.

I went to the library and brought some books home, and to my disappointment the closest thing I could find was a mahogany coloured Smooth Haired Dachshund. I wanted a big dog.

It wasn't til I was eleven that I got given a dog breed book that was produced in NZ. Sawyer's breeder had a couple of pages in it on the Hungarian Vizsla.

I was absolutely gob smacked that my dream dog existed, but was not in a position to get one.

Nine years later I got Huxley, and 13 1/2 years later I got Sawyer.