Childhood Dream Dog

Growing up in a time when kids and dogs had much more freedom, One of the dogs that used to just be with us kids was a beautiful Irish Setter. I have no idea who he belonged to...he just joined in the fun when us kids were out and about but his(or her) name was always Big Redda to us. Still my dream dog but not even close to owning one at the moment with two mutts!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a child I only had dachshunds but always wanted a Beagle.

In under three weeks time, I get my very first one!

That's so exciting Ishy!

I was another one who wanted a GSD. I have always had a soft spot for them!

We had collies(rough) when we were kids and they are and always will be my favourite breed. Then in the late 80's I saw this boy at the Royal : http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=12385 he was a very beautiful dog and I desperately wanted a blue merle just like him from then on and seeing a daughter of his at the royal again several years later only served to reinforce that little obsession much to my parents dispair! I had to wait nearly two decades to get a blue merle of my own but I am so lucky to have Spud's great granddaughter sleeping on my foot at this very moment.

When I was born my Mum had a GSD x Kelpie who was more GSD called Sheba. Sheba was the most loving dog, she was beautiful, gentle, and just had a lovely nature.

Sadly Sheba passed away when I was 5-6. I begged and begged Mum for another GSD but she said no. Instead we got a Blue Heeler which was a give away to good home.

Still I begged for a GSD. Every week it was the same question, every birthday and Christmas.

I watched movies, and read books about GSDs. If I saw a GSD in the street I would be in heaven..and had to stop to marvel at the Beautiful breed. I used to have a dog book and spent hours just reading all the book had to say about German Shepherds.

I wrote stories about owning GSDs.

I also developed an interest in Siberian Huskies too and for many years thought I would have a GSD and a Siberian Husky.

However as I got older the interest in Siberian Husky's lessened and I focused on my GSD.

Fast forward 20 years after Sheba passed away to June 23rd 2009. I finally brought home my dream GSD Brennan. She is everything I wanted and more.

I still find myself stopping and gazing at other German Shepherds...even with my own GSD at the end of the leash :laugh:

German Shepherds really are my heart breed. It may be breed bias but there is nothing quite like a German Shepherd..they really are special :laugh:

I was desperately in love with old english sheepdogs as a young child....made my father collect an awful lot of Dulux paraphernalia.

i too was desperately in love with Old English Sheepdogs and my first heart dog was an OESD sadly he passed away 12 years ago and it's taken me 8 years to get another 2.......

Guest Tess32

I grew up with GSDs but only ever wanted Collie Roughs. I had to wait about 25 years to get one :laugh: Started with my obsession with Lassie Come Home.

A Borzoi. :laugh:

We had an old newfie when I was little, and after she passed we always had GSDs and I loved them... but...

But when I was about 10 a lady came to school one day to pick up her neice. She had a big red & white borzoi with her. I was fascinated. I went up and said hello. The dog stepped forward and just stood up, ever so gently, a paw on each of my shoulders. He looked down into my face calmy and then hopped down and walked elegantly away with his mistress. That was it for me - I was obsessed...

It took me over 20 years of admiring them before I got my own, and they were worth the wait. :laugh:

for me it was a cocker - I begged and pleaded. but no!

as for my kids:

my son desperately wants a black labrador.

and my daughter desperately wants a papillon.

Although she says when she's grown up she'll have 2 danes, 2 wolfhounds, and 2 Papillons :laugh:

I always wanted a 'lassie' dog - as I was addicted to the show. I think I honestly believed that every rough collie would be just like her.

Instead our family had a crazy red setter, who was definitely not anything like Lassie. I loved her all the same and she put up with anything us kids did to her. Sometimes we would dress her up, make her pull us along on our bikes, give her haircuts or new hairstyles or get her to eat the food that mum was making us eat.

I believe that every child should be able to experience the special bond and friendship that owning a dog provides.

RIP Bluey - May there be lots of Rabbits in Heaven.

A Westie.

I remember when i was 5 and there was some doing face painting and i asked to be a "west highland white terrier, please!" ... face painter was very confused. I then said "okay, just a white dog please" well, I ended up with one of them, i guess!

Shell i had no idea you'd always liked Shepherds! :laugh: and to think when I first met you you said you were cat people!! That certainly adjusted a little :laugh:

I never had a dog growing up. But my dream dog was a German Shepherd. I still love them however I dont think they are a suitable breed for me right now, if ever. Ive seen alot of highly strung, super enegetic, GSD's and to be honest that has put me off. I know there are probably certain lines outt here that are not like that and thats great but I have found my heart breed in the Bullmastiff, easygoing and super low energetic,lol.

Guest Clover

SBTs, Bull Mastiffs & Am Staffs, now out of those the only ones i realy like are BMs (dont think i would want one now though).

ETA: Kaffy i always drool over your dogs, just gorgeous :laugh:.

Edited by Clover