Rural Fecing

fbc

Just wanting some ideas on suitable fencing for dogs on rural properties

I would be making an enclosure but wondered if chicken wire around the boundry fences would also be ok for when im home to let them have a good run

We are talking Staffords as the breed which I know can be escapist but fortunately my 3 arnt that way inclined so they arnt hard on fences.

All ideas & suggestions appreciated

Just wanting some ideas on suitable fencing for dogs on rural properties

I would be making an enclosure but wondered if chicken wire around the boundry fences would also be ok for when im home to let them have a good run

We are talking Staffords as the breed which I know can be escapist but fortunately my 3 arnt that way inclined so they arnt hard on fences.

All ideas & suggestions appreciated

a couple of hot wires, to keep the cattle away, cause you can't use them on dogs, would teach them to respect fences very well.

I have used chicken wire and my lot got through it like nothing was there by bending it as they went over and pushing it as they went under. :thumbsup:

We solved the problem with ringlock fencing attached to the three strands of farm fencing with cable ties.

Edited by grumpette

How's your wombat situation???

We put dog wire around our house boundary (3 acres) and the wombats dug ACD size holes underneath it. Dog wire has a bigger gauge than chicken wire and the wombats destroyed it in places. Our neighbours put reo down and the wombats still dug underneath.

By all means put up chicken wire as it will slow them down, but put in one of those ping string fences, the one with the collar. Alot safer than getting shot if they escape and they learn very quickly to stay away from the fence. :thumbsup:

Do you or have you used this method yourself?

Do you set it the same as for cattle/horses or on a lower volt & is it positioned lower on the fence?

I've never used electric fencing but from talking to others I think you set it differently for dogs, less voltage I guess. I was actually talking with someone yesterday who warned me that the fence I was standing near with two of my dogs off lead was electric and set "for cattle" so they'd get a hell of a shock if they touch it.

It seems chicken wire is rarely any good unless you have dogs who are simply put off by a visual barrier. BUT my neighbour gave me a panel she made herself to help with my current escape artist - it was chicken wire but it was completely framed in double wood and very tight and solid. If you can pick up some cheap lengths of timber to make a series of frames for the chicken wire I reckon that would work better than just chicken wire.

Edited by spottychick

Do you or have you used this method yourself?

Do you set it the same as for cattle/horses or on a lower volt & is it positioned lower on the fence?

I have used it and seen it used, some time ago since I myself used it, but the friends I know with dogs on farms have hot wires on all their fences, including the house yard.

My dogs chew their way through chook wire alone LOL however if you can't afford the heavier dog mesh then sheep fencing plus chook wire should hold them. I would have ringlock all around if it was affordable in those quantities.

Check with your local shire before getting electric fences - some have really wierd rules when there is no hooved livestock on the paddock.

If they are only going to run in a paddock under supervision, and have reasonable recall, then just sheep wire should be okay. Ringlock for the unattended dog run though is best IMO.

Chainlink with a hot wire. Chicken wire over the larger sized dog mesh is probably OK in some situations but won't stand up to weeds growing through it, weed wacker, etc, and certainly wouldn't cope if one of the dogs decided to eat their way out (supervised or not they could do this) Yes I have used a hot wire - put it about 10-15cm above the ground if you intend to keep the edges all neat, higher if you're into the more weedy rustic look :thumbsup:. I've used a battery unit and a mains unit - don't worry about the setting, they will only touch it once and won't die. If you intend having litters of pups which might touch the wire then it's a different story. Warning - the first time they're out and the wire is live, have only ONE dog out at a time, I had two that decided it was the other one's fault they got a whack off the fence and had a barney over it.

Edited by Sandra777

Depends on the dogs too,we have ringlock/dog wire with about 1 acre fenced around the yard.The dogs are trained they aren't to go out side the fence unless either they are on a lead,or with us and only when called.

Our House Yard, Orchard and 'Dog Paddock' are fenced as follows: 1.5 m high, star pickets 2m apart (2.5 in orchard) with a gal post every 4th post (cemented in). Wire is 1.8m waratah mesh so it has a 30cm lap at the bottom. Gates are custom made weldmesh 'farm gates' of various widths to 1.5m high. Note this fencing isn't necessarily cheap! But so worth it and cheaper than a lot of other options if you have a large area (several acres) you want to fence. Cheaper if you have the ability to install yourself of course.

Note we do have kennels/runs which are 1.8m mesh panels as well and the dogs are in these when we are not home etc.

post-5072-1286152117_thumb.jpg

post-5072-1286152307_thumb.jpg

post-5072-1286152441_thumb.jpg

If ringlock is used just be careful there is no horses that can get close to the fence. A horse can easily get a foot through it and cause a lot of damage to itself.

That is why I have the chicken mesh. I am eyeing off the Diamond Mesh http://www.diamondmesh.com.au/ but I bet it isn't cheap.

We looked at getting the Diamond Mesh for our place and holy cow it is pricey. I can't remember exactly but something like $650 for a roll of 50 meters. I could be remembering wrong though.

We considered it for a while and decided to go with Borderline as we are only doing internal fences at the moment. Still looking at the Diamond Mesh for the boundary but there is someone down the road from us with it and it doesn't seem as strong as i thought it would as it snapped in half when a tree branch fell on it.

We are on 8 acres with 2 staffords. They are contained within a smaller boundary by dog wire. I think that's what it's called, smaller squares on the bottom and larger ones on top?

My two are not escape artists and I have never seen them even attempt to get through. We have rabbits on our property outside of the fence and my two just sit at the boundary watching them hop up and down. They never jump so getting over the fence is also not a problem.

We also have a vegie patch that is surrounded by chicken wire and they don't get into that either. If they're inside they have no idea how to get out and have never attempted to go through or over it.

If you feel the need to get electric fencing it's probably a good idea but in my case is totally not needed thank goodness :eek: