Rare Dog Breeds

poodlefan

Hortaya Borzaya:

zorba_zea.jpgChortaj3.jpgh_litter3.jpg

Recognized in Czech Rep. and few other spots. The great supporters of the breed actually oppose formal FCI recognition as they feel it will be detrimental to the working nature and history of the breed.

Love them :laugh:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[lets hope they stay out of the hands of idiots

nope too late on that one i'm afraid ... even in europe sparring is a hobby :bolt:

they are cute though :eek:

beaucerons are not really couch potatos

Edited by Nekhbet

I am completely in LOVE with the Catahoula Leopard Dog! I want one now. Only one breeder in Aus that I could find.

I met a few and loads of Catahoula crosses in Mexico. They are popular on the ranches, right beside ACDs, but more often used for hunting. One of the places I stayed at had a hunting pack for getting the lions out of the Bighorn Sheep enclosure. Apparently mountain lions find Bighorns irresistable and will do anything to get to them. The hunting Catahoulas were not to be messed with. Strict instructions to stay away from them. They didn't get much human contact, although they seemed pretty friendly to me.

I covet the Yakutian Laika:

the_yakutian_laika_html_m1f9d8a49.jpg

565794699.jpg

the_yakutian_laika_html_m14898ab2.jpg

It's not really a breed so much as a type, but given there are hardly any breeds way up there in Northern Russia, they are basically what dogs look like in that region.

And I have to say that black and white Canaan Dogs are to die for.

canaan1.JPG

The cream and yellow ones are pretty gorgeous too, but I just love those black and white dogs. :bolt:

My favourite rare breed is the Damchi of Bhutan. Slightly like the Tibetan Spaniel from nearby Tibet, but a bit bigger, not quite so 'toy' looking. Bhutan is protective of its culture which would include their dog breed, the King owns a Damchi and they appear on stamps. I'd love, tho', to see Damchis brought to Australia. I believe some Europeans (Germany?) have imported Damchis.

:bolt: Will put that on my list!

The Hortaya Borzaya are also pretty cool.

Murray River Curly Coated Retriever. I think this are DOLer (or former DOLer) DMentias's dogs. I'd love to see this breed get ANKC recognition.

homepage.jpg?type=sn

LOVE this breed and if they were ANKC recognised I have no doubt that they would be McKenzie's breed of choice. We've rescued 2 litters and she has adored them above every other dog we've fostered.

Obviously my favourite rare breed is the Basset Fauve De Bretagne but I don't mind the Griffon Fauve De Bretagne either, though apparently they are notorious for baying. Some Fauve breeders in the UK have recently imported some Griffons.

Wikipedia

Some images

I want these as soon as they are registered in the FCI :bolt:

Tsvetnaya Bolonka

I'm getting some of these too, I wonder if the ANKC will even consider accepting them before FCI recognition

OMG sooooo cute!! like a coloured malt kinda! i want one~~

The large macadonian dog - cant rememeber the name :S They look like dark coated Leonbergers!! Which are suprisingly completely unrelated!

Edited by kirst_goldens

Caucasian Mountaindog (Caucasian Ovtcharka)

I met someone just recently who has an Ovtcharka. He guards their property which was somewhere near the Blue Mtns. He was HUGE! Apparently a lovely dog though. Not only a good guard dog but he loves checking in at home to see the family.

The only breed for me and my home until the Caucasian is available and then I will have both

My beloved Jake :p

post-23033-1288866943_thumb.jpg

post-23033-1288866996_thumb.jpg

Yes, there are now Portuguese Podengos in Australia - just down the road from me :p Their first show is in January :vomit:

I got to cuddle one at the Ekka :vomit: Cause it was in the Pedigree Stand the same time as us.