Dog Eating Too Fast

giraffez

Hi

My dog seems to be woofing down his food without chewing. How do i get him to slow down? He vomitted some stuff up yesterday and they were pretty much the same size as when he ate it! :eek: Was wondering whether the slow feeder bowls will work?

Have you tried putting his food in a Kong Wobbler or a Bob-A-Lot? :) I can't say anything about the slow feeder bowls but I know that it literally takes Hugo half an hour to eat his food when I put it in his bob-a-lot.

So glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My 7 month old BC, just inhales her food I swear, although she is never sick afterwards,

burb's alot though & has quite a bit of a 'wind' problem :o charming !!! when atm I have my inlaws up on hols, she can clear the lounge very quickly :o:o

she just eats very quickly & always has. That is the main reason why I monitor meal times cause she always finishes hers before my boy

finishes his ( Sonny is the slowest eater on the planet) & will then 'help' him eat his, little bugger :laugh:

I have just ordered a Eat Better feed bowl so I'm hoping to improve her eating habits & inturn maybe the other prob's she has will improve as well :shrug:

Will let you know how we go, interested in what other remedies other Dolers have successfully tried. :)

Edited by BC Crazy

When Brutus whent through his Inhale his biscuits phase (cant use a scoffstoper bowl etc until they make one in stainless... if its plastic.. he has to chew it.) I used to spread his food out on the ground so he had to "look for it".

Also I find large kibbles are good... cos essentially they HAVE to stop and chew them. Royal Cannin make alot of good large/unusual shapped kibbles which force them to chew... The boxer breed specific one worked well for me. What sort of dog?

I have a similiar issue with my little GSP who was recently adopted. I believe it stems from her early life, where she was amongst 80 other dogs and had to fight for food. Then, she was on the lamb for a few months, scavenging food wherever she could. Then to top it off, time in a shelter being fed with other dogs has made her a little food protective and she also inhales it, then I have to stand gaurd, so she doesn't eat Oskar's food. He's so chilled, he will just let her share it. :) I ma going to perservere with her over the next few weeks and see if the behaviour settles a little. If it doesn't, then I might look into some of those slow feeders you have mentioned.

I would still place a bet, that even with a slow feeder she will finish before Oskar!! :laugh:

I use a scoff stopper for my piggy boy and yes it works very well

Glad to hear they work Rebanne. Maybe i should have brought one of these instead of the Eat better ones.

Oh well we will see how little miss goes. :)

My girl has a brake-fast bowl and it definitely works - enough so she doesn't cough hack splutter and bring it all back up. It still goes pretty fast, but it does slow her down.

While you wait for a bowl to arrive though, you could also put an upside down sturdy ceramic bowl inside the dog bowl - and he would have to work his way around that - it works to slow them down for a little bit :)

My dogs only get their dry food via training, kongs or a buster cube. Pup ate out of a bowl in her first few days at home as she settled in but that's it. My Dally did demos with the Bob-a-lot at the Pet Expo. We would have taken one home but they all sold out, even the one he was playing with!

I often feed frozen raw food to slow them down too - large chicken frames etc.

Our great dane is a scoffer. The vet suggested putting her food in a muffin baking tin, and this has worked for her. She can only eat out of one little spot at once, so has to work more for it, and then sniff the next one out. She still eats faster than the greyhound, but he's a "savourer" anyway!

Our great dane is a scoffer. The vet suggested putting her food in a muffin baking tin, and this has worked for her. She can only eat out of one little spot at once, so has to work more for it, and then sniff the next one out. She still eats faster than the greyhound, but he's a "savourer" anyway!

That was the other suggestion someone told me... I was going to try that next but the bowl on a box worked well that I didn't have to try the muffin baking tin.

I had a little dog that gulped his food down. What got to me was his "butt burps" later on in the lounge room at night, pee-yew! I had no idea about special bowls but read something about feeding in smaller amounts, dividing a meal up, so he'd have to wait a couple of minutes between each amount. That worked for us and it only took about a week or so for him to get the message. He didn't go back to that ghastly behaviour. :eek:

edited to fix a typo

Edited by ruffpup

One of mt Border COliie's is a major food inhaler etc. I tried to spread it out on ground, put it with water and all that stuff.

I bought her one of hte slow feed bowls and it certainly slows her down.

As she tries to eat so fast she eats a lot of air and her belly blows like a football.So now no matter how she is fed, I allow her to eat half, then tell her to sit. She sits looking up at me no matter where I am and then gravity lets all the air come up and BURP she goes then she can finish. I worry about her bloating as she really does eat a lot of air.

When Brutus whent through his Inhale his biscuits phase (cant use a scoffstoper bowl etc until they make one in stainless... if its plastic.. he has to chew it.) I used to spread his food out on the ground so he had to "look for it".

Also I find large kibbles are good... cos essentially they HAVE to stop and chew them. Royal Cannin make alot of good large/unusual shapped kibbles which force them to chew... The boxer breed specific one worked well for me. What sort of dog?

Large kibble did nothing for my Golden bolting her food. What stopped her was spreading her kibble on the lawn and letting her go for it

Thanks for all the very good suggestions.

I was looking at the videos in the scoff stopper website and my dog actually finishes his food half as fast as the video of the dog without the scoffer bowl in place :mad oh my!

The bowls do seem to slow them down by the looks of the video, but does it really encourage them to chew? Thats the main problem, my dog woofs it down so quickly he doesn't chew, doesnt get sick afterwards either. Slowing him down is good but I need him to chew his food - the little bugger :D

Initially i thought he was worried that his brother will get at his food but i have seperated them in different rooms while eating and he hasn't slowed down one bit.

I'm going to try some golf balls, they are heavier and smaller which I hope will help. Don't think he will ingest the golf balls. His bowl is so small i don't think a tennis ball will give him much room to move and it will get so dirty - the ball and him! :D

Edited by giraffez