Please Send Good Thoughts For Mindy

aussielover

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussielover what is the second surgery for??

Its a "second look" surgery to check if the wound has started to break down (the enterotomy site and adjacent intestine) which can often happen with septic peritonitis due to the bacterial contamination and fluid environment making wound healing difficult. It is also another opportunity to lavage the abdomen.

But she is not having it today and will only have it if she deteriorates again.

We really won't know whether she will need another surgery or not until after the weekend because wound breakdown typically occurs 3-5 days after surgery.

Our most immediate concerns now are DIC due to sepsis and wound dehissence over the weekend.

Her overnight vet is absolutely amazing though, I trust her completely. She was the one who recognized Mindy's condition and pushed for surgery (others thought it was a toxin- but to be fair they weren't present when Mindy got worse overnight) and she brought her dog in last night as a blood donor in case mindy needed a transfusion. She is also happy to talk anytime and didn't mind me calling for updates during the middle of the night.

Overall I am very happy and gratfeul for mindy's vets and nurses who are all fantastic and really seem to care about her. One of the nurses even put a pillow in her cage with her to make her more comfortable which was really sweet.

Edited by aussielover

Just come back from seeing Mindy. She is doing a lot better now. She was able to stand up and wag her tail. She is also eating small amounts now and she was able to drink some electrolyte solution while we were there. They said she was very hungry which is a good sign. We have to limit her food intake though in case she regurgitates.

She is not totally out of danger yet, I won't be able to relax until the weekend is over, but things are looking much more positive at this stage.

Thanks again for all your support and kind words :)

Just come back from seeing Mindy. She is doing a lot better now. She was able to stand up and wag her tail. She is also eating small amounts now and she was able to drink some electrolyte solution while we were there. They said she was very hungry which is a good sign. We have to limit her food intake though in case she regurgitates.

She is not totally out of danger yet, I won't be able to relax until the weekend is over, but things are looking much more positive at this stage.

Thanks again for all your support and kind words :)

:thumbsup:

That's great news aussielover

I hope your Mindy can return home soon.

:hug: