18 Years Old And Dumped, Poor Little Bugger

Boronia

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/year-old-teacup-chihuahua-stuart-little-has-had-a-rough-life-after-being-adandoned/story-e6freoof-1226186731788

18-year-old teacup chihuahua Stuart Little has had a rough life after being adandoned

by: Lizzie Stafford From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) November 06, 2011 12:00AM

Stuart Little, the 18 year old Teacup Chihuahua

Stuart Little, the 18-year-old teacup chihuahua, was found on the side of the Bruce Highway near Gympie. Picture: Marsden Luke Source: The Sunday Mail (Qld)

WHO is this creature with terrible claws And terrible teeth in his terrible jaws? He has knobbly knees, and turned-out toes, And a silly tongue at the end of his nose.

He might look more like children's storybook monster The Gruffalo than his cute big-screen namesake Stuart Little, but don't judge this sook by his cover - he's had a very ruff life.

Heartless owners left the 18-year-old teacup chihuahua to die.

He is blind in one eye, half blind in the other, arthritic, has severe dermatitis, a bald tail and most of his teeth missing, so he constantly drools as his tongue hangs out of his mouth.

Weighing just over 1kg, the pint-sized pooch was abandoned on the side of the busy Bruce Highway, near Gympie, last month.

Curled up in a ball on the side of the road on a filthy, tattered pillow, he was rescued by good Samaritan motorists who spotted the terrified hound and dropped him at the Animal Welfare League of Queensland.

"He looked so forlorn with his tongue hanging out and you can see through his hair and he just looked unbelievable, the poor little thing," said Gold Coast resident Sandra Armstrong, who has adopted Stuart.

"It took me about 24 hours to actually get him off (the pillow). But he's doing really well now."

AWLQ's Michelle Critchley said it was likely someone had just "had enough" of the tiny dog, who they believe to be in his 18th year based on his general wellbeing.

"They take the easy way out. But it's not the easy way out for the animal."

Guest lavendergirl

Found near Gympie ... not surprising. Amazing how tough these little dogs are. Why couldn't they show some decency and have him PTS. Hope the rest of his time is happy with these good people.

What a little soldier :( I hope this little man gets to have the last while of his life as happy as possible.

Glad there are some good people out there. Nothing is as harmless as an elderly chihuahua.. I hope the people who dumped him get a severe dose of karma.

Poor little guy :(

Curious to know how they knew he was 18? Did they catch the owners or something? Was he microchipped?

The paper said his age was based on his general wellbeing. Usually they can tell by the teeth can't they? But given he doesn't have many that may have been a problem. He looks like an oldie from the 4 pics in the paper.

I am surprised that someone even noticed the tiny fella by the side of the road!

That is just so sad. :( I saw him tonight on the news, he is the cutest little thing.

I am so glad he was found in time. Poor little buggar sitting on his pillow like that, his only memory from home. :(

I don't know how some ppl sleep at night. Seriously.

He does look very very old, but also very happy now that he has been found.

Good on the lady who adopted him. :thumbsup: and shame and bad karma to the so and so who left him there to die like that. :mad

Poor little old man :( A woman at my park has decrepit old JRT type dog called Thomas, who's about 18 also; blind, deaf, gorgeous little doddery old thing. I found out the other day that she actually adopted him about a year ago! I always thought she was a lovely woman but now I love her even more :)

..and it worked - the dog found a home . So - the next person to leave a dog on the side of a road will also think their dog will find a new home ....

Leaving the little guy on his pillow ...there's a story in this somewhere - I guess someone knows how he came to be there.

"They take the easy way out. But it's not the easy way out for the animal." [b][/b]

i don't understand that one bit. i assume they are saying that someone felt it easyer to leave him on the side of the road then see him out till the end. i would be eatten up inside for ever if i hadn't been there to hold my girl as she took her last breath. she was my responsibility and i owed it to her to be that familiar face to help her feel as comfortable as is could and not be scared or alone. never in a life time as horrible as it felt watch her leave this world would i have left her on the side of the road knowing she would have been terrified and could have been smashed by a car. 18 year is a very long time to have a dog some people arn't even married or have friendship that long.

..and it worked - the dog found a home . So - the next person to leave a dog on the side of a road will also think their dog will find a new home ....

I had the same thought!

He's the dearest little fellow.