Strange Rituals

Dame Aussie

After every meal my dog will bark 5 times to make sure the food didn't kill his voice box. at 6:30 every evening my lurcher will circle the property twice sniffing the fence all the way around. Ay 8:30 the maremma will start barking at everything and has to be put to bed and at 5:55 every freaken morning the jack russell will stick his tongue in my ear signalling day break....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maddie does a hundred circles with a few digs in between before she lays down.She also sits on the bed watching me get dressed.As soon as I start to put my jeans on she flies off the bed and stands in front of me stamping her feet and wagging her tail madly.I can put on any other item of clothing and she won't move.Stan is the most exited dog in the world when he does a poo.I can hear him thundering up the back stairs then he flies around the house picking up random things and flinging them in the air.I can almost hear him saying "YAY i did a poo". :laugh:

:laugh:

Mosley does that too, the other day he was doing some mad zoomies and as he rounded the corner he picked up a stuffed toy and flung it out of the way, then continued on like a wild beast :rolleyes:

God this thread is making me laugh, aren't they weird creatures?!

My Boy Jasper grabs his favourite stuffed toy as soon as I bring out a plastic bag for poo patrol. He walks around with me giving out a soft growl as I'm on this mission. If I go out into the garden without my plastic bag, he will come out side me minus the favourite toy. :D

I had a Koolie cross foster pup who used to be the best poo scout - he'd go and find one and sit by it until I picked it up, then he'd rush off to find the next one for me... I miss him!

piperspal - Milo hasn't changed much since he came to live with you then? Hahaha! He used to take great delight in tormenting my 2 older girls until they played zoomies with him - and considering he was all of about 2 kgs and the girls are 30kgs each, it was an hysterical sight watching him trying to keep up with them...

Trouble likes to play zoomies - she is the queen of zoomies, and teaches all of my foster pups the arcane art. She also has a weird ritual for doing her poos - has to find just the right spot, then turns twice clockwise, then 3 times anti-clockwise, then assumes the position and gets on with it - this can take a while too because the finding the right spot is another arcane art apparently...

Zeddy is pretty normal - she just does the turning 3 times clockwise before settling down to beddies.

Pickles... god, where does one start?? To be fair though, Pickles does have a brain injury and walks funny so she has an excuse for almost every weird thing she does... lol! She's a perpetually happy girl which is all that matters...

T.

I also have a picky ball dog - I didn't think there were others as bad as him!

If he's playing in the park with one ball, he won't chase another. If he doesn't realise that he's chasing the 'wrong' ball, he spits it out of his mouth that instant - sometimes mid leap - you can almost hear the 'peh'. One lady we would often meet would sometimes bring a ball in a bag. On seeing this lady, he'd spit out our ball, and run to greet her and stick his head in her bag to find her ball. Her ball was always the best. Of course, no one ball has a very long life - though we never leave them lying around at home. He takes it very seriously.

Generally speaking he's a stickler for routine. You only have to do something at the same time two days in a row then its 'on' for day three too. He's also tricky to train cause he's always preempting me.

I have a dog who does that too, after each meal he will come over to me and put his front paws on my leg and wag his tail. I'm not allowed to hug him back, he just likes me to acknowledge his thanks! :laugh:

Guest donatella

I give mine a treat (dog biscuit, dentabone, rawhide etc) and she'll wait until i'm in bed and try and bury it at my neck. pretty crappy hiding spot, but every time she saves the treat and waits till i'm in bed, digs around my neck area and tries to bury it. odd child :)

One of ours apparently never read the book on how to lap water. He will dunk his whole muzzle in and gulp it up, invariably wetting the fur on his throat in the process. Nothing medically wrong, it's just his quirk if the water is more than muzzle deep. I ended up having to teach him a cue to go and fetch a towel so I can dry him off after each drink. I'm currently training him to wipe his own throat on a towel too.

Edited: spelling

Edited by Dxenion

Penny does her poo on a raised ledge, the rocks around the garden, plantpots and I once found a little pile of poo on the top of a 4 litre paint can. She also walks along when she does a wee. I think it comes from being in a concrete-floored pen with a raised ledge, she does it so her feet don't get poo or wee on them I think.

It is a bugger picking poo out from between the rocks.

Edited by Boronia

Poppy likes to greet me with a present when I get home. She will pick up the nearest available object, so it can be a leaf or pebble. The weird thing is she doesn't play with toys or chase balls etc. She goes and gets me a present if I fill up her water bowl too.

Poppy likes to greet me with a present when I get home. She will pick up the nearest available object, so it can be a leaf or pebble. The weird thing is she doesn't play with toys or chase balls etc. She goes and gets me a present if I fill up her water bowl too.

Monet ALWAYS greets us at the back door when we get home with a toy in her mouth and roo rooing, Benson will grab a toy as soon as he sees us and Diva licks the screen door really slooooowly (we have a perforated steel screen door).

If put outside Diva does this whine and sloooow licking of the screen door. She also won't settle unless she's seen me in the morning which prompts my partner to set the dogs on me mid sleep-in.

Benson when he poops will do it in a big circle, spinning round to sniff the first bit that hits the ground.

Diva and Monet when they pee, they squat but try to not have their back feet on the ground. Usually one is in the air and they are balancing on one rear toe! Very funny to watch.

These are so funny! Crazy dogs :laugh:

I don't think mine have too many weird rituals... Riley spins around in an anti clockwise circle when he's excited, the more excited the more spins. And now I'm working on stopping his barking it's like he has to get the energy out somehow so his spins are more bouncy and he looks like he's trying so hard to keep the bark in!

Saxon knows that if I'm not ready to get up and the dogs wake up and start annoying me they'll get kicked out of the bedroom so if I get up to kick Riley out Saxon lies perfectly still on the bed and opens one eye a slit to check what I'm doing, like he's going "I'm still asleep, let me stay!" :) (I usually let him stay :o)

Dieter is the fun police - if dogs are having fun and he is not involved he will go and stop the fun

He is also very sensitive to me, and if a dog is doing something that I don't like he will tell it off :o (dogs playing up when being groomed, dogs barking etc)

He also has favourite toys and I designated one of his toys *my* favourite, so he knows if he picks that toy up, regardless of what I'm doing I have to get down on the ground and prance around him with and try to get it off him - so he'll go and grab that toy if he's feeling neglected (or so I project...)

As far as rituals - we have a very clear going to bed routine and if I don't stick to it Dieter will just go and do it by himself. So he often puts himself to bed on weekends.

He also has a run and grab his favourite toy when a guest comes over and taunt them with it dance.

Em has a long ritual when I get her up in the morning that I now allow extra time for - yawns, rolls over for tummy rub, stretches against me with her front legs, snuggles.....and then BOLTS down the hallway :laugh: Apart from that I can't think of anything that my dogs do regularly....maybe because every day is different here - the routine is there is no routine!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Yeah it seems pretty common!

Mosley greets with toys, well anything really, he will pick up whatever is in reach and stand there wiggling and roo-rooing till you play with him :laugh:

Lili and her toys, well that's another story, we cannot bring any "Elmo" toys into the house. No idea what it is about them, she's funny with anything fluffy really, but long story short, he is HER baby and NOONE else can touch him. :rolleyes:

Nova is the only one with rituals, every time after eating a meal he has to go and roll in grass.....he has this love affair with thick long grass kinda weird and every afternoon he goes outside and eats a dozen or so flower buds either the yellow ones or the little white ones. Only ones that are partially closed as well, they can't be open or completely closed. He has done this for years, I think he just likes the taste of them :) Strange dog.