Maggie My Devoted Assistance Dog

D_mentias

Maggie passed away this morning about 11 am. Only 3 weeks and 4 days after her diagnoses of a tumour. I had planned to go interstate for Xmas but it became apparent last Wed 21st she was too ill.

She had her moments in the last week but I loved yesterday morning when she trotted out when I feed the younger retrievers and lined up for her kibble too! After breaky she inspected her yard then retired to my bed. For lunch she had a few chook necks but was drinking at an odd angle. About 6pm she managed to get off the bed but was distressed it was then I noticed that her R front leg was not working...she had had a stroke. She was quite distressed but I comforted her and elevated her chin as she couldn;t lay on her side. Later I shared my O2 with her and this seems to settle her. About midnight she had a violent convulsion but slipped into a coma after. She continued to have minor fits for a few hours but Imanaged to doze from about 5 am.

At 10.30 am I let Aggie my younger retriever out and fed her and George. Maggie's breathing was noisy. As I settled back on the couch to watch the Aussie tail enders fail Maggie stopped breathing about 11 am at the foot of my couch.

Maggie was only 7 years on and a Curly Coated Retriever x Labrador Retriever. As a pup she became very close to me and could tell if I was getting ill. Later she alerted me when my O2 delivery failed or sats were low. She also lerant to chek my tenant daily, if she stayed around he would check his sugar levels. Maggie nursed two older dogs as they failed and educated 3 younger retrievers for me. She would let me know if they were naughty or wished to go out etc.

In recent years Maggie accompanied me everywhere. Only two weeks ago she sat in the change room of a dress shop while I was at a sale. She was a vetran of shopping, theatres, dances balls and festivals. She is a much photographed dog as often at festivals she would trot around with a teddy in her mouth.

If you get a dog in you life like Maggie once you are indeed fortunate

maggiebeauty.jpg

m1.jpg

RIP Maggie