How Old Have Your Last Dogs Lived?

Blackdogs

Blossom - 6 yrs Rottweiler - poisoned by neighbour

Woosie - 11 yrs Rottweiler - arthritis threw a clot to her spine... my heart dog - I still cry whenever I think of her

Connor - 7 yrs Rottweiler - bone cancer blew a neck vertebrae

Shadow - 5 yrs Rottweiler - hemangiosarcoma

Punkin - 3 mths Rottweiler - parvo

Dexter - 4 mths Rottweiler - parvo

My current oldest girl is Zeddy, who will be 13 this year - Rotti/Pittie mix - going strong with no major medical issues apart from a little bit of arthritis that gets a little stiff in Winter. She still looks and acts a heck of a lot younger than her age. Only just starting to go grey now.

T.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minook - 8 years - Siberian Husky - bone cancer [PTS]

Tusca - 9 years - Siberian Husky - lymphatic cancer [PTS]

Tasha - 13 years - Siberian Husky - old age shut down [PTS]

Tye - 4 years - Boxer - stomach tumours/cancer [PTS]

Edited by Noishe

I feel a bit naive and sheltered here. I always thought dogs these days lasted over ten at least and childhood daccie lasted to 13 and assorted aussie and foxie terriers until mid-teens. I can't believe the number of young dogs dying from ailments in this thread. Are these associated with inbreeding of bygone days in the lines?? Bad fortune???

So sorry to hear of your losses to young dogs and their ailments. Makes me not assume my little Papillon will be here until 16...whicch is what I always assumed. Why is it smaller dogs live longer generally? Any biological whizzes out there who can sum it up in brief?

Edited by FlyingFurball

Fiona - papered Irish Setter - 13 years - arthritis.

Jester - unpapered border collie - 15 years 9 months - degenerative neurological disease

Lady - unpapered border collie - 17 years 2 months -'degenerative neurological disease

Liam - border collie/spaniel mix rescue - 13.5 + - melanoma

I've had quite a few dogs over the years and all lived to over 10yrs apart from one girl who died of a snake bite at 4 yrs.

Koorie a rough collie was PTS at 16.5 when his bowel cancer became too much for him. That was 25 yrs ago and I still miss him.

Mixed Terrier mutt 17 years

Miniature Poodle 17 years

Schipperke 16 years

Lhalos Apso/Maltese 17 years

Mums GSD PTS due to cancer at 10 years

My GSD 14 years PTS Colapsing sacrum

Border Collie/ACD 12 years stroke.

Unless other wise stated dogs were given wings due to suffering with the various difficulties associated with old age.

Bully cattle X - Sally over 15 . Still missed . If it wasn't for a plate in her leg that cancer grew around she would still be here . Fittest old girl our vet had ever met.

All my grandfathers dogs and lots of neighbors dogs used to live till they were 18 . Why are digs dying younger??

I'm already nervous that our bully's may have only two thirds of the life expectancy that Sally had. :(

most recent Mac white boxer at 14yrs had a stroke but had spondylosis and had a spindle cell removed at 12,other than that enjoyed good health all his life.

Cassie our 1st, 12yrs also a white boxer and also had a stroke,her arthritis was getting worse at the time and wasn't responding well so I was going to let her go soon anyway,

Our youngest was Matilda SBT at 6yrs with a tumour in her spine,this was the hardest as she was still so young and healthy, then within 2 weeks she was crippled and when finally diagnosed given her wings

the family dogs when I was growing up were STD dachsund at 12yrs,heart attack,/ mini schnauzer 14yrs pts old age dementia/ and 2 giant schnauzers at 10 and 12 one from cancer in the spleen and the other from bloat

So all in all we have had a pretty good run of luck with our dogs and hope our present Ella, SBT grows old and grey with us

Paddi (family dog), Kelpie x Corgi, 17yrs - PTS due to age related issues

Billi, Kelpie x, 2 years - accidental death (hung herself :()

Kika, Great Dane, 2.5yrs - died of bloat

Phoebe, Great Dane, 2.5yrs - PTS due to severe HD and temperament issues

Have also had to PTS a few foster dogs recently. :(

Bronson - Rottie - 11 years 7 months and one week. Think it was arthritis related as he lost the use of his back legs over a period of literally 3 or 4 days, we decided we had no option but to give him his wings. He was my heart dog and we still talk about him 3 years later (I am tearing up now just writing about him).

Have 2 new rotts now and they are 3 years old and hope they have a long happy life too.

Hi

Monty Aussie Terrier 11 years PTS after unsuccessful diabetes treatment was extremely sick.

Bossy Aussie Terrier 11.5 died vets thought could have been bloat or twisted pancreas don't really know I think she missed her brother too much.

Tess - cattle/dingo/greyhound blend - given her wings less than a week ago :cry: due to cancer - 11 years

Gypsy - my heart dog - Siberian husky - died suddenly at home in my arms last year aged 11 yrs 11 mths :cry:

Whitey - Sibe husky - died last year at vet aged 6 years - had many complications with IMT

Jay Jay - Sibe husky - died last year at vet aged almost 10 yrs

Cassie - Sibe husky - given wings on operating table 2008 - cancer - aged 7 yrs

Claude - Sibe husky - died suddenly at home 2007 - cause unknown - aged 6 yrs - I cannot believe it has been nearly 5 yrs already. :(

I will always miss them. :(

The only dog I've lost in Lassie. She was a heinz breed, had american staffy, boxer, ACD, and lots more in there. She was PTS at only 4 as she had aggression problems.

The oldest girl I have is Cherry, she is now 11, but has had a few mast cells removed, so that is always a worry. She is a staffy cross.