Comments On Combination Of Dogs.

coogie

I've never come across this because we only have Shar Pei ,but this weekend we are taking care of my sister's GSD as she has gone away for the weekend. We have never had him over the weekend before - she has just moved back to Brisbane and has gone up to Mackay to visit her partner. We have been taking him out and about with us and also on walks,all three dogs come with us ,they have known each other for ages and we have no problems with them.

At least four or five people have said "What a strange combination of dogs you have there". They are not being rude, just passing comment - but when I asked one of them why do you say that,what is strange about the combination? They looked puzzled and couldn't answer me.

It got me wondering about combinations in packs,we regularly see a lady with a Great Dane and an Iggy which seems strange to me but only from the point of view if they were mine I would be worried the Great Dane would accidently hurt the Italian Greyhound simply because of the size difference. I would never comment because obviously they are both fine and she must just manage them carefully (and it is none of my business)! If you have a "mixed pack" do you get comments, are there dogs you would never mix? Probably a pointless post but it has got me thinking as I often see questions on the forum saying I have an X breed and want to get a Y breed do you think this would work?

Just curious really as to whether other people get comments and what they say if anything in return?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Willow

Yes, we have a Staffy,and we had (until recently, RIP Rhu) a tiny SWF and would always get comments like "What an odd couple!!!" Never in a nasty way, but they did look funny together :D

When I was a child, there was a lsdy who lived near us who had a Dane and a Chi, and they walked everywhere offlead (back in the UK in the 80's) and the Chi would always trot along under the Dane :laugh:

"Are you a dog walker?"

"That sure is a mixture you have there".

"One of each colour!"

Usually only walk the grey and the two terrier mixes (a black grey, a tan short-legged long-backer and a blond fluffy). Or one chocolate coloured chi and the two terriers.

Generally, they seem to think it strange that anyone walks three dogs and isn't a dog walker :laugh:

Edit for sp.

Edited by Poppy's mum

If I walk our German Shepherd on his own people usually cross the road to get their dogs out of the way. If I have a couple of Cavaliers attached to his lead they get all awwwwww..how sweet is he.

post-27253-0-47455000-1339300942_thumb.jpg

Edited by LizT

Guest Willow

If I walk our German Shepherd on his own people usually cross the road to get their dogs out of the way. If I have a couple of Cavaliers attached to his lead they get all awwwwww..how sweet is he.

We have had the same reaction with our Staffy....people have crossed thr oad to avoid him, but when he was teamed up with his SWF mate, people said "awwwww"

People always make comments - we have Keeshond, Lhasa Apsos & American Staffordshire Terriers. Usually when I am showing the Amstaffs, people will say things like "Lacking a bit of coat that one" or "Colour is a bit wrong". Some seem shocked to see me with them - yet I have had them for about 8 or 9 years now, and shown them on and off in that time.

Until recently I had a Greyhound, a Lowchen and a Stafford. The Greyhound crossed the bridge a few months ago and sadly my dad passed away not quite a month ago and I inherited his dog so I have his old American Cocker, the Lowchen and the Stafford. All boys. And some of the comments we get are priceless.

I only need to take Pickles out alone to get comments... because she walks funny... *grin*

When I used to be able to take Trouble (blonde Lab) and Zeddy (Black Rotti/Pittie) out together I would get the "one of each" colour comments regularly.

My house is usually full of all sorts anyways because I foster for rescue - not unusual to have all different breeds/mixes, colours, and sizes around here... at least my neighbours are used to it now... hehe!

T.

I have always had small and large dogs, over the years the combinations have been interesting but looks like I have settled with Rottweilers and Pugs. My first Pug used to sleep with the Rotties 24/7 but Charli is too annoying so I don't make the Rotties put up with her. Most people would cross the road when I was walking the Rottie on her own but laughed as they passed when I had the tiny Maltese with us - he was only 3.5kg :laugh: .

This was a great combination.

268864_243315045681537_3178413_n.jpg

Edited by Andisa

I've never actually been pulled up on the combination of dogs I have, but everyone (at least one person every single time I have all 3, no exaggeration), comments "oh, you have a handful there!". I guess my combo is pretty ordinary, a mutt an aussie and a schip...I like the other ones mentioned here though, like the extremely different looks of the amstaffs and keeshonds, and the pugs with a much fitter breed the border collie :laugh:

Loving all the combinations, and the pictures.

OH has suggested some of the comments were probably regarding their behaviour rather than how they looked as Askari (GSD) is super obedient whereas the Pei can be a little more "independent" at times. I hadn't thought of that!! :doh:

My heart dog Woosie the Rotti had a boyfriend who lived down the road - a Maltese named Caruso. They used to have regular playdates.

I don't see it as strange when dogs of different sizes and breed mixes get on... I think it's great!

How about these combinations... Great Dane and Dachshund... GSD and Toy Poodle... in both pairs the larger dog was dependent upon the smaller dog for confidence... errr!

T.

Yes, we have a Staffy,and we had (until recently, RIP Rhu) a tiny SWF and would always get comments like "What an odd couple!!!" Never in a nasty way, but they did look funny together :D

When I was a child, there was a lsdy who lived near us who had a Dane and a Chi, and they walked everywhere offlead (back in the UK in the 80's) and the Chi would always trot along under the Dane :laugh:

Awwwe I remember a Dane and a Chi picked up as lost and impounded at Renbury, years ago. The Chi slept on the Dane's back :laugh: that was used as their impound pic.

When we had Ivan the Husky with three bull breeds I got the "strange combination" comment quite regularly. I guess they are very different, but I've seen others with the same combo, so it's not that uncommon.

Now that I walk four bull breeds I get at least one of these on every walk:

You've got your hands full

Are you a dog walker

Do they fight

Are they related

And my favourite... How did you get them all to walk so nicely :D

I have a giant and miniature schnauzers, so get the comment about are the minis the pups from the giant.

There is a lady we see in the park who walks 2 afghans and 2 daxies and i am told now has a bulldog in the mix.