Can I Ask For Some Prayers For My Furbaby?

esky

I know I can bring her home & get my vet to come out but the problem is she is oxygen dependant. My vets have oxygen tapped in & we may not be able to get a bottle to bring with her.

When my boy Harley had the same heart failure, we begged the Emergency Vet to allow us to bring a bottle home. They let us then, but have changed policies now.

We have already begun ringing around everywhere but no luck. One of the few possible places can't help as it takes a week to set up an account etc & they will not take payment any other way.

The worst thing was Harley was here overnight & we knew there was not enough oxygen in the bottle if we wanted to get throught to the morning. Watching the dial move down was like watching a ticking time bomb & I'll never forget it. Knowing you had to act once that bottle was empty is horrific.

Does anyone know where we can get a medically set up oxygen bottle etc here in the newcastle area or anywhere (we will drive as far as we can even Sydney).

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Haven't been able to update any earlier as been running back & forth to vets etc.

Okay, good news & not so good news.

My dear little Penny is still with us & she has managed to come home for now. I was able to sort the oxygen issue out as posted in another thread & she was able to come home last night & go back in for further monitoring through today. My vet has sent her home with me again tonight.

They were able to get her off the oxygen since yesterday afternoon & are happy with the levels she is holding. They felt that I could look after as carefully as keeping her in overnight & let me bring her here. Her fluid had cleared well enough to allow that. Unfortunately, due to the high levels of frusemide (sp?) her kidneys are not coping too well & are showing elevated readings. She also still isn't wanting to eat but is drinking. We are syringing wet food for her at the moment & she is keeping it down.

She had a very good peaceful night & actually toileted as soon as she got home (she hadn't toileted all day at the vets).She was so much brighter when she got here & totally knew she was home.

I took her back for the day as they wanted to check all stats again & here is the not so good news. Her chest seems a little more congested with fluid again so they have had to up the frusemide after being able to lower it yesterday, She is also still not wanting to eat & has not wee'd since last night. My vet feels she isn't quite as bright as yesterday.

We are trying her here again tonight as he has adamantly told me that he is not ready to give up tonight & is hoping she will turn the corner if I can only get her to eat & pee. If not, a decision will have to be made which I am dreading. At the moment, she is on frusemide & vetmedin.

My biggest blessing so far is that I was able to bring her home & I need to treasure that regardless.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: Can anyone give me any ideas on what I can try to give her to tempt her to eat (especially syringed food) as well as advice on how often would benefit her? If there is any miracle advice on how to get her to pee I will be eternally grateful too! I know there are many out there who have helped rescue dogs to gain condition & overcome starvation etc so am hoping for some advice for Penny.

Much appreciated & thank you for your thoughts & messages.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: Can anyone give me any ideas on what I can try to give her to tempt her to eat (especially syringed food) as well as advice on how often would benefit her?

Try tinned hills a/d available from the vet. It is for critical care patients and supposedly highly palatable. It is watered down easily enough to be syringe fed (I do this with sick chooks).

good luck :)

Just found your post :( So very sorry to hear about Penny :( My dear Jessie battled CHF for 3 years (she was given a prognosis of 6 months, 12 if she's lucky) so I know what you are going through :cry: A very big :hug: to you.

The pics of all your fur-babies are gorgeous :)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: Can anyone give me any ideas on what I can try to give her to tempt her to eat (especially syringed food) as well as advice on how often would benefit her?

Try tinned hills a/d available from the vet. It is for critical care patients and supposedly highly palatable. It is watered down easily enough to be syringe fed (I do this with sick chooks).

good luck :)

Pele had this after her surgery to remove a bone that she'd swallowed back in March. She had to be tube fed directly into her stomach for 10 days. I had to water it down. From memory there is a lot of liver in it.

:hug: to you and Penny :)

When Whitey was feeling off and wouldn't eat, I used to give him a little ice cream or boil up some chicken broth. Sometimes he'd just lap up the juices.

Other things you could try;

Sardines

Tuna

Salmon - maybe tempt her with a sml tin of each to see if she likes any?

Tinned cat food

Roast chicken - off the bone

Yoghurt

Heinz Baby food (just warm it up a little, try beef and also the chicken flavour)

Probably a silly question but how do you make chicken broth? I have to admit I have never needed to make it?

I have tried roast chicken, scrambled egg, chicken mashed up so it's like a paste & even some wet dog food but doesn't want any of that & she used to absolutely love all of it!

In the last couple of hours I have managed to get the canned A/D diet food with water syringed down. Not sure how much or how often is suitable? Can anyone advise?

Probably a silly question but how do you make chicken broth? I have to admit I have never needed to make it?

I have tried roast chicken, scrambled egg, chicken mashed up so it's like a paste & even some wet dog food but doesn't want any of that & she used to absolutely love all of it!

In the last couple of hours I have managed to get the canned A/D diet food with water syringed down. Not sure how much or how often is suitable? Can anyone advise?

PM'd you Esky, re; the chicken broth.

Did she have the whole tin of food tonight? if so, I wouldn't be worrying about anymore food until the morning, I'd be concentrating on keeping her fluids up.

Nutrigel is really good too. You may already be familiar with it, but just incase you're not here's some info on it.

A palatable high calorie dietary supplement for use in dogs and cats lacking adequate nutrition over a prolonged period of time.

Composition: Contains Vitamins A, D, E, B1, B2, B6, B12, Nicotinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Folic Acid, Iron, Manganese, Magnesium and Iodine in a palatable base consisting of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, providing approximately 1500 kilojoules of metabolizable energy per 100g.

A highly palatable source of calories and vitamins. Recommended for inclusion in the diets of dogs and cats where levels may be low. Nutrigel can be used to overcome the animal's reluctance to the intake of tablets by fully covering the tablet with Nutrigel.

Dosage and Administration: Nurtigel is highly palatable and is usually accepted eagerly. To acquaint your pet with the flavour, place a small amount in the mouth. When used during convalescence and to stimulate appetite, give 10g (approx. 2 x 10cm strips) daily per 5kg bodyweight. When used as the main source of nutrition, give 15g (approx. 3 x 10cm strips) daily per 5kg bodyweight, or as required.

Chicken broth: boil thigh cutlets until the meat falls away.

Strain and and syringe it into her.

If fat is a problem, use chicken carcass or just breasts, boil as above and strain.

Also, have you tried goats milk, or honey and water?

I don't know what she is allowed to eat, such as sugars, salts and fats.

She is lucky to have such a caring owner and vet.

I might be way off here but what about a milk supplement like Divetelac? I know it's for puppies, but it's packed full of nutrients and is a milk so easily syringed, I assume it is kind on a tummy too given its intended use. I give it to mother not just babies and she loves it so I would assume it is yummy - maybe ask your Vet?

I am sorry to say that my precious Penny died in my arms at home at 5.30 this morning :cry:

She ate some syringed food, was drinking, did have a little pee & had been ok but she wouldn't sleep. She took her meds ok a few hours before & had actually wandered up the back yard & sat in her favourite spot for a short while. She was resting on my bed with me most of the night. She wanted to get down at one stage & I put her down on the floor & she went straight over to her special sleeping spot where she claimed the last few years.

I brought her back up on the bed after a short while again & she wandered over to lean on me. She looked up at me differently - enough that I phoned the emergency vet to see if I should bring her over for a check. I only managed to get changed & within a minute she had started to go limp. I grabbed her, held her, told her I loved her & she was gone.

PLease know that my vet was happy she came home as she was stable & off oxygen. It was definitely not he wrong decision to bring her home. As soon as she got home yesterday she brightened up & relaxed. I believe she knew she didn't have long when she visited both her special places last night.

I want to thank everyone for their replies & prayers - I didn't feel so alone & that is a very special gift. Some may think a brief message doesn't do much & maybe not worth bothering but know it makes an immense difference to someone in dire straights.

A special thanks to k9angel & Lillypilly for their extra special care - you got me through.