What If... Opportunity To Have A "bucket List Breed"

Guest Ams

Posted in rescue as this decision will impact on my ability to continue my rescue of dogs at the level I currently am involved.

There is a specific breed of dog I would absolutely LOVE to own but they were very expensive to purchase (around the $3000+) mark and then cost a LOT for upkeep etc. I had hoped to own one of this breed a year or so ago but fate intervened and it didn't happen.

I have now been given a very generous offer of a young adult in this breed. To take this dog would mean I would have to reduce the number of dogs I take into care by at least four dogs at any given time (multiply that out over a 12 month period and it would probably equate to around 20 dogs I could not rescue if I own this dog.

The breeder is on this forum and will know I have posted this. As other rescuers, what would you do?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do what's best for you.

You have a duty to your own happiness etc before you have a duty to anything else. You shouldn't have to always sacrifice your own wants and needs just because there are idiot owners and backyard breeders out there dumping dogs left, right and center.

I think as you already looked at doing this a year ago, this seems like a real gift and opportunity.

Think about how much longer you would like to rescue, most of us burn out in the end - emotionally, physically and financially. Maybe it's better to bow out while you are still OK?

Of course it would be a terrible shame for all those dogs needing rescue but I've realised something myself, nothing we do as individuals seems to be able to stem the flow of unwanted pets. It is a national disgrace.

Sometimes we need to think about our own selves, most of us make many sacrifices but sometimes in life it's time to think about you. Doesn't mean you'll never rescue again, maybe you just need to change the types of dogs you rescue or there are other ways in which you can assist.

More than one rescuer has turned into something else - breeder, show person etc. It's not a crime and has probably brought them much joy after many years of hard rescue work.

1345454631[/url]' post='5934902']

Do what's best for you.

You have a duty to your own happiness etc before you have a duty to anything else. You shouldn't have to always sacrifice your own wants and needs just because there are idiot owners and backyard breeders out there dumping dogs left, right and center.

I'm not a rescuer either but agree with this. You have done so much you deserve something for yourself.

I agree with others. Just because you take a break from rescue now doesn't mean it is forever. Also, there are other ways to help besides physically caring for dogs. As an experienced, responsible rescuer you could act as a mentor/sounding board for newbies for example. this way you might actually land up helping more dogs than if you carry on as per normal.

I'm not a rescue but I work with rescues and know how hard and trying it is on your emotions, you deserve one to call your own. That being said make sure this is THE ONE that you want, that this particular dog that you have been offered is a dog that you can live with and that you will bond with and won't regret giving up future rescues for. It's a wonderful offer and I understand how hard it must be for you, getting your heart breed or keeping those lost hearts beating. Just make sure this particular dog is the dog you want and then go for it! This opportunity is rare and I imagine quite fleeting!

I have a couple of Frenchies which are higher in requirements than some other breeds and I have needed to change the way and dogs that I foster to a certain degree. Especially those that have had exposure to diseases like kennel cough. I also have to be conscious of the types of treats/food we use as they can choke easily.

I have never regretted it for a moment and in fact just love having our "bucket list" kids. A bit like you, we could never have dreamt of being able to afford a puppy BUT we ADORE our adults that joined our family. They bring us much joy and it adds to the whole experience having dogs (both our own and fosters).

Sometimes you do need to do things for yourself. Sometimes you do need to do things for your doggy family too. The more dogs you have, the less time you have to focus on each dog and often it tends to be your own that lose that extra bit of time. By reducing the numbers doesn't mean that you aren't helping out dogs in need, you are just doing it in a different way. Also, quality over quantity can be a really positive thing - and quite possibly your own dogs will thank you for it.

On the other side of the coin, if you really want this and you don't go ahead with this opportunity, will it colour the way you think about the rescues over time? Would you feel that they have controlled your life rather than complimented it?

Good luck with your decision. It sounds very exciting.

^^ what they all said.

I have a few "rarer" breeds on my bucket list and then I wonder how I will ever own them unless they turn up in rescue, and then I think, no I really should have the breeds I want to own (no offence to the crosses!) it's a hard decision, but you'll end up still doing rescue one way or another, it's in your heart, maybe just on a smaller scale :)

I agree with others. Just because you take a break from rescue now doesn't mean it is forever. Also, there are other ways to help besides physically caring for dogs. As an experienced, responsible rescuer you could act as a mentor/sounding board for newbies for example. this way you might actually land up helping more dogs than if you carry on as per normal.

This is exactly what I was going to say!

A lot of people bow out after a first bad experience, a mentor like you could be invaluable :)

Nowhere near your level of rescue, but we stopped fostering when we realised our own dogs were being affected by the turnover, and also because the Maggot failure didn't need extra feet bowling him over. We should now foster again but when I think about how perfect Stevie is now, just right to teach a puppy manners, I'm going to get my dream black Lab boy now, hopefully by Christmas.

Sadly there will always be dogs to foster. I can't do it without balance for my whole family.

Too many rescuers put way too much of themselves into the "job"... and many of our best can reach burnout way too quickly...

Go with your heart... it's time to do something for YOU...

... you would still be an incredible resource to Pei rescue even if you don't take as many into your own personal care.

T.

I agree with everyone above. It's important, very important, that we take care of ourselves. I got my westie after many years of wanting one and although it doesn't limit my fostering too much I still would have done it. I didn't foster for 6 months so I could focus on him (and my other two dogs).

If you do get your lovely breed dog enjoy it and be careful not to worry about the dogs you can't physically rescue. Tdierikx said it "you would still be an incredible resource to Pei rescue even if you don't take as many into your own personal care."

Ams you constantly deny yourself for the sake of the dogs you take on. I don't think anyone who supports your group ever looks at what you do in terms of numbers. It's really about each and every dog you give a second chance to. I personally think the numbers you have been juggling are impossible for a single person anyway - it is burn out or bankruptcy material. Or it could even be your health that suffers and that is even more serious!

You deserve personal satisfaction too. This is clearly something on your mind for quite a while and you don't need anyone elses approval to do it.

The number of dogs needing help will continue to grow. New rescuers and rescue groups will appear while others will cease operating for various reasons. Life goes on. Just make sure yours is a happy and fulfilled one!

PS I can bring the dog home for you if it is down this way!!!!!!

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

Thanks everyone for putting it in perspective and for all the kind words as well. . It is probably a sad reflection on me that I needed to post and read these affirmations that I would not be condemned by those who matter to me should I take the offer. I have decided I will scale back rescue (please DoG make me keep this promise and learn to say NO more often) and will own a MASTIFF. She is currently in WA but plans are underway for her to arrive mid September. I will expect Asante sana (my youngest pei) to have her nose severely out of joint for a while so it will cost me a lot in cuddles and kisses to make it up to her.