'the Dog Just Snapped'

espinay2

I got the impression it was a visiting child, by the way he told them the dogs name and then the child waved goodbye.

When we were kids we had a Peke and my brother used to play rough with her. Every now and then Pixie would snap and I remember him going to my mother crying saying "Pixie bit me" Mum said "good, it serves you right" Pixie was a sweet tolerant little dog, luckily she didn't do any damage to him and I think he learnt after that to not be cruel or rough with her. My parents wouldn't have won any parenting awards if such things existed though.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh god, what a tolerant dog. I couldn't bear it when the baby was bouncing up and down on the dog's ribs like it was some sort of balloon... and the parents encouraging it... and the baby ripping the dog's face from side to side..... wtf classic example of bad parenting!!!! Even more sad is that there are people who think it's okay to let their child treat a dog like that, and that dogs are expected to put up with such behaviour with no complaints at all otherwise it is a 'dangerous dog'... :mad

Ummm I was hoping the poor dog would suddenly get up and tip the kid on the floor. How stupid of anyone to encourage that treatment to the dog. :mad

My kids never got any sympathy if they got a nip from our dog/s, just asked what they did to deserve it (and there was always something!).

We had a really tolerant BCXACD growing up and she'd put up with so much from kids, hugging her and laying all over her. Then one day our neighbour came over and said that she had bitten their child. We finally got out the truth, apparently the child had deliberately run over her tail with her bike and our turned around and grabbed her on the thigh. The kid had lied at the start, her parents got pretty angry at her for lying and hurting the dog. Kids need good examples and to be shown the right way and corrected when they do it the wrong way. The adults have failed the child and are creating a vicious cycle.

That's awful. Who the hell lets a child jump on a dog?!?! The part that made me the maddest was when the poor dog got up, removed itself from the situation, went to the owners for help, so they pushed it back to the ground and encouraged the child back onto it. Deplorable :mad

Stupidity by parents is so more common these days & people wonder when at dog shows we arn't as eager to let the dogs interact with kids.

Even when we have had people come out to look at our breed its amazing how parents think its alright to allow there children to be feral to a strangers dog & then they expect the breeder to sell them a pup.

We have on a number of occasions asked people to leave due to the lack of respect shown to our dogs & lack of parent control.

Obviously we where on the ball & the dogs are never in a position to get harmed .

We have very set rules here that kids must follow & if they don't listen & the parents don't support there kids in doing what is asked see you latter ,This sadly is one of the reasons breeders are reluctant to sell to people with children ,yes its one bad apple in a small minority but those bad apples do alot of public damage when it goes wrong .

In many ways this video could be used as a wonderful teaching tool

Does anyone remember the Border Collie which did major damage to a 6 year old's face in Vic a few years ago. The original media release was that the dog belonged to the grandparents, and children and their parents arrived, and the dog, which had known the child from a baby suddenly bit her with no warning.

Just snapped.

The mother was interviewed later for TV. The dog was past middle age (forgotten, 10? 11?) and the child had been sitting on the dog since the child was a baby. Apparently, the dog was always happy about that. According to the mother

On this visit, the child again sat on the dog, and jumped up and down a bit and the dog whipped around and bit her hard on the face. Suddenly turned, of course.

I always feel the parents should be educated in what is acceptable to a dog, and what is not.

And that video - uneducated people are frightened of rotts. How kind is that one?

One of my boxer's was marvellous with the children. She treated them just like her pups and if they pulled her ears, or tried to sit on them, she turned around, looked them in the eye, opened her mouth and said "gggggrrrrrrrooooowwwwwllll" as loudly as possible. She never bit them, or even looked as if she would. Reasonable forms of interaction were welcome, lack of respect was not. She was a wonderful influence on the kids!!

Thanks for putting that up Espinay.

I'm so impressed with how tolerant the rottie is - the poor dog.

I find this website great for educating - http://www.liamjperkfoundation.org and they also have a facebook page which goes through many of these type of videos where again you can often see these warning signs/anxiety relieving behaviours.

I have seen this website before and was devastated that a dog of my chosen breed caused an incident in which a child lost its life. They were not very forthcoming on what they thought caused the dog to react the way it did (they detailed the incident but not what they thought was the reason for the dog's reaction) and from time to time I still wonder about this.

I really hope the parents see what they are doing wrong and take in in.

Where was the original video? is there a chance they will see comments made?

I get fed up with seeing shots on funniest home video with little dogs snarling at owners who just keep pushing and think its funny :mad

Does anyone remember the Border Collie which did major damage to a 6 year old's face in Vic a few years ago. The original media release was that the dog belonged to the grandparents, and children and their parents arrived, and the dog, which had known the child from a baby suddenly bit her with no warning.

Just snapped.

The mother was interviewed later for TV. The dog was past middle age (forgotten, 10? 11?) and the child had been sitting on the dog since the child was a baby. Apparently, the dog was always happy about that. According to the mother

On this visit, the child again sat on the dog, and jumped up and down a bit and the dog whipped around and bit her hard on the face. Suddenly turned, of course.

I always feel the parents should be educated in what is acceptable to a dog, and what is not.

And that video - uneducated people are frightened of rotts. How kind is that one?

One of my boxer's was marvellous with the children. She treated them just like her pups and if they pulled her ears, or tried to sit on them, she turned around, looked them in the eye, opened her mouth and said "gggggrrrrrrrooooowwwwwllll" as loudly as possible. She never bit them, or even looked as if she would. Reasonable forms of interaction were welcome, lack of respect was not. She was a wonderful influence on the kids!!

Thanks for putting that up Espinay.

this is something that really struck me too, as I am a person who is wary of rottweilers, only because I've had 100% negative experiences with the 3 I've ever been in close contact with. Since those incidents I do steer clear of them now, but I saw them in a whole other light with this lovely tolerant dog. I keep thinking about this video, wondering how long ago it was taken and if she has finally snapped since then and suffered the ultimate price.

regarding my wariness of the breed, looking back at all three events I'd say it was probably the owners still not appreciating their dogs nature and what it is capable of.