'the Dog Just Snapped'

espinay2

Ive only ever had good experiences with rotties. I love the breed.

Same :)

I know some beautitful rottweilers. People should see these guys herd sheep - most people have no idea how capable and versatile they are.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know some beautitful rottweilers. People should see these guys herd sheep - most people have no idea how capable and versatile they are.

I'm the same. Never met a nasty one, ever.

Such a brilliant breed.

If short coats didn't make me sneeze they'd but very high on my one day list.

Edited by Bjelkier

I'm the same. Never met a nasty one, ever.

Such a brilliant breed.

If short coats didn't make me sneeze they'd but very high on my one day list.

Same here! Only ever met gorgeous ones. Never met one I haven't liked! We are seriously considering them as our next breed one day!

My Gran used to own a beautiful Rotty. I loved going for visits to her place one a year (Vic to SA), Id spend just as much time with her dog, who would follow me everywhere. But I still had healthy respect for her!..

My old cat on the other hand, all the bites and scratches and attacked I got from her, were all very well deserved....

I knew a Rotti aaages ago. My parents wouldn't let us play with him (big dog...smallish kids...I think she was worried in case we would upset him) but he was a gorgeous dog...came up for pats and had a waggy tail and was so beautiful! I've quite liked them ever since :) another "scary" breed I love are German Shepherds...even though the first one I saw in the flesh was when we went to buy second hand furniture and it was a "guard dog" - barking and growling at us through the fence :( but the best GS I've seen were at a pool-fencing place that my parents and siblings had to go to. They played with the kids for hours :D chased frisbees and stuff thumbsup1.gif

Both breeds on my dog list for sure.

And that poor dog in the video crying.gif was waiting for something bad to happen the entire time!!

I have not been able to comment on this thread, because after seeing the video I was overwhelmed with a gamut of negative emotions from rage towards the parents through to pity for the dog, and just feeling sick to my stomach.

It infuriates me just how many people have absolutely no idea how to read dogs and they don't even seem to care enough to realise how important it is to learn such things. Non dog savvy people (and this includes many owners) would think this dog was loving what the child was doing as I am sure these people did.

I cannot stand seeing people put dogs through what they should not be subjected to and expecting the dog to tolerate abuse. It is disgusting.

Most Rottis I know, actually possibly nearly all Rottis I know would behave in the same manner as the dog shown on the clip, but that is not the point. They should not have to.

How dare humans expect an animal to have to tolerate being abused this way. Who the hell do they think they are.

Added, IMO all dogs, any breed or size are potential weapons in the wrong hands. It is more about the handler and the environment than the dog. Dogs must be treated with respect and understanding.

Edited by dyzney

I'm so impressed with how tolerant the rottie is - the poor dog.

I find this website great for educating - http://www.liamjperkfoundation.org and they also have a facebook page which goes through many of these type of videos where again you can often see these warning signs/anxiety relieving behaviours.

I have seen this website before and was devastated that a dog of my chosen breed caused an incident in which a child lost its life. They were not very forthcoming on what they thought caused the dog to react the way it did (they detailed the incident but not what they thought was the reason for the dog's reaction) and from time to time I still wonder about this.

I thought the same but reread it recently and basically they say they just didn't read the signals and the dog had always been uncomfortable with their toddler and they did not realise. The toddler may have got in the dogs face or made her feel trapped in the small room and perhaps thats what did it. The parent wasn't watching at the time so perhaps they don't even know what exactly triggered it off.

What an awful video

I wonder in how many homes there are similar scenes going on - and the parents just do not realise what immense pressure they are putting their dog under

Having said that - allowing a kid to 'bounce' on a dog's ribs like that??? I don't think that is reasonable by any estimation. Surely those 'parents' have parents themselves? Or friends? Those people should have stepped in to tell them off!

Just can't help thinking 'that poor dog'. He saw the toddler coming and the dread was instant. You could see it is something that happens regularly.

I really hope the parents have seen the video and learnt from the experience and now start protecting their lovely dog.

I too have only had great experiences with Rottweilers. Lovely breed. I was being attacked by a dog once and there was a younger male dog in the same household - subservient to the dog that was attacking me and free to join in but he chose not to (for which I am eternally grateful). I was in real trouble that day - a second dog would have been an absolute disaster and I have always adored Rotties from that moment forward. Instead of joining in (as so many dogs would) he took the opportunity to sneak into the house and sit on the couch. Good boy!!

Like any dog they deserve far more respect and caring than this!

Rotti saliva also has amazing healing properties I found... I swear that it's different to other dog saliva. Whenever I had a cut or graze, if my Rotti licked it, it would heal almost overnight. My current old girl here is part Rotti, and her saliva has the same healing properties. None of the other dogs can heal wounds like she does...

I also have a friend who is allergic to Rotti saliva, but not with any other breed's.... so I'm convinced there's something different about it.

I remember once when I was attending one of Steve Austin's seminars on handling dangerous dogs, when he brought out his beautiful Rotti boy King, I kinda embarrassed myself by exclaiming "I want a cuddle!"... but I got my cuddle and more... *grin*

I think I'm actually a Rotti "tragic"... I really do have a "thing" for them...

T.

I've never met a nasty rotti, though I do own a stupid one!! :laugh: My rotti x is dumber than a bag of hammers, but god I love her and her simple ways :)

The discussion on this thread has brought to mind when my family and I were looking at houses, we get to this property with a massive gate, complete with "beware of dog" sign (one of those ones with a big snarling rotti on it) and this HUGE Rotti just lying on the front steps. The real estate agent was pooping his pants opening the gate, and everyone kind of filed past this humongous dog which hadn't moved an inch and was lying directly in the path to the door, I think he barely opened his eyes when the gate was opened. As I walked past him, I said "hey puppy dog" and moved my foot a little close to his face (very slowly, so he could have a sniff). And this lovely old boy got up and was glued to me for the whole inspection, wouldn't leave my side. He was a gorgeous old boy, I just walked around the house scratching his ears the whole time. One of the other people looking at the house actually said to me, "well, you must be a dog person then". :)

I agree with Dyz on this one. I did not know whether to slap the parents, especially after they got the poor dog to drop again so that the child could come back and jump on her again, or rescue the poor gorgeous dog and take her away from the moron owners. :mad

That poor trusting dog. Our job as owners and guardians of our breeds is to protect them, not subject them to abuse. Stupid moronic parents do not deserve such a brilliant dog :cry:

PS for Kirislin

26122012174.jpg