What Do You Feed When You Run Out Of 'normal' Food?

Guest Maeby Fünke

Guest Labradork

You have to be so much more organised, living in the country.

I thought tuna, rice and vegies etc was the healthiest option.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I've been travelling with the dogs and delayed for a day a quick dash into a supermarket for some wings or necks does the trick.

We once couldn't get our usual dry food (local store had order problems) so I bought a bag of Pedigree as an emergency. Yuck! My boy got a rash. :sick: Most of it went in the bin.

If I haven't been able to get their dry food for whatever reason (RC) I have bought whatever the most expensive supermarket kibble is and fed them that.

Otherwise they have had nights where I raided the cupboards/fridge/freezer and they got a mish mash of frozen veg, pasta and whatever meat I had in the freezer.

Canned food or dog roll was an absolute last option for me. Sierra had a sensitive stomach and things like that used to set her off.....oh god the farts lol

I never run out. I have several 20kg bags of premium in the cupboard at all times and the dog freezer is only allowed to run low if I'm cleaning it out.

If I did have to feed them something to get by in an emergency it would be, some meat from our freezer ( hopefully we had some chicken wings )with a whole egg each. Although it wouldn;t be the end of the world if the adults missed a meal.

I never run out. I have several 20kg bags of premium in the cupboard at all times and the dog freezer is only allowed to run low if I'm cleaning it out.

If I did have to feed them something to get by in an emergency it would be, some meat from our freezer ( hopefully we had some chicken wings )with a whole egg each. Although it wouldn;t be the end of the world if the adults missed a meal.

Same here :)

We feed raw so rarely run out (have to buy it every week) but last christmas, I didn't buy enough to last me until my meat place opened up again so we had to do two weeks of kibble and supermarket meat for the dogs. They weren't happy about that.

Now, we keep a small supply of kibble (currently ToTW- it results in monster poo but I haven't been able to find a local supplier for Ziwipeak) and there's also canned fish in the cupboards to improve the appeal of the kibble and enough people meat in the fridge/freezer to last about two days on top.

Not that we've needed it this year- after last year, I got a bit panicked and bought a heap of meat for the dogs' freezer. By "a bit", I mean "filled the freezer completely". About 200kg to last us four weeks :o I'd worked it out on the assumption I'd have two foster dogs here besides my own three dogs- 5 dogs = 5kg per day. 5x7=35 per week, 35x4=140kg + 30 because I have to order a week in advance = 170. So 30kg to buffer. As it turned out, both fosters got homes and I'd included the hellpuppy when I actually get his meat separately so really, I only needed food for two dogs for four weeks (70kg, including an extra week's worth). Basically, I bought double what I needed.

But as far as the dogs are concerned, better too much meat than having to eat any amount of kibble :p

I'm another one that uses canned mackeral or sardines. I also occasionally have Nature's Gift cans on hand as well.

I thought the VAN roll may be a good option but I was not happy with the way it kept. Was pretty much off 2 weeks before the use by date, so back to the canned mackeral.

ETA I also use cottage/ricotta cheese and eggs. If I run out of kibble the dogs go without, I only feed 1/2 a cup of that daily at any time prefering a more species appropriate diet.

Edited by Airedaler

I've never run out of dry food, working in a pet store helps with that. I tend to stock up and not buy food for a while. BARF patties I do run out of because I forget I need them every now and then, and then if we're low on supplies I'll leave it so a customer can have the chance to buy it. I don't like Cleo having too much of a routine when it comes to what she eats, one day it might be kibble and patty, then just kibble or maybe a chicken frame.

If I ran out of food altogether, I would probably give her some of our meat to eat.

If I had no dog food in the house, unfrozen, then I would do something with eggs. I normally have ricotta in the fridge and yogurt so they would have some of that too.

I use Natures Gift on a regular basis and have done for about 20 years. Use sardines weekly too.

4Leggs freezes pretty well.

If I had no dog food in the house, unfrozen, then I would do something with eggs. I normally have ricotta in the fridge and yogurt so they would have some of that too.

I use Natures Gift on a regular basis and have done for about 20 years. Use sardines weekly too.

Is 4Leggs a roll Jules? I have heard Natures Gift canned is good - have you used the Kibble?

I never run out of their main food which is Black Hawk Kibble, but I like to top it with something, like a piece of rump steak. If I have been forgetful & don't have any out of the freezer, then they get a raw egg yolk or canned fish instead of the steak.

Is 4Leggs a roll Jules? I have heard Natures Gift canned is good - have you used the Kibble?

There is a 4Leggs roll which I have frozen as it is a biiggg roll. I normally get the trays which are little balls.

Yep have used the Natures Gift kibble. It is semi moist. Dogs love it. It only comes in small bags though so works out pretty expensive.

I reckon the best pet roll is Ecopet. Don't see it around much anymore though.

You can also get totally raw rolls made by Prime. They are found in pet supply places and are frozen when you buy them.

I don't think I could possibly run out.

Esky's on about 50/ 50 raw and kibble, since we won heaps of kibble and I can't stand waste.

Worst case if I was out of dog meat, she'd get something destined for my plate, a frozen chicken or some beef fillet. Or possibly a scoop of dry cat food.

Failing that an egg or fasting