The Yellow Dog Project

Panto

I saw this come up on my FB feed this morning from a friend - I think it makes a lot of sense, but haven't given it a lot of thought. Wondering if anyone else has come across it and what you think?

(I did a search to see if there was a previous thread or mention but couldn't find anything, happy to be corrected if this has already been discussed! Thanks)

Postcard6x4-TYDP.jpg

I saw this discussed on another forum last year.

Apparently there are quite a few dog training schools who use a similar idea but with different colours.

The general consensus was that it would be a good idea if it was commonly known by 'joe public', otherwise a waste of time.

The intention is good, but I don't really agree with it.

If you put yellow ribbons on dogs who need space, that means dogs with no yellow ribbon don't need space, so it's then ok to let your dog run up without asking first? It would be better if it was the other way around, put a green ribbon on dogs who really enjoy being approached and the owner doesn't mind. Otherwise, give all dogs space by default.

For training clubs it's ok, because dogs tend to be much closer to each other and it's easy to tell members what the ribbons mean. I think it should be something more obvious than a ribbon though. One club I know uses bright orange leashes on reactive dogs, and you really can't miss it. But even there I've seen people who are oblivious, who either don't notice or don't know what it means or don't care.

At my agility club we don't have a system like this, but all members are told during orientation to give other dogs space, and to speak up if they have a dog who needs space. And yet people let their dogs run straight up to mine. Not deliberately, they just don't pay attention or the dogs are within leash length as we walk through a gate, and they don't see the importance of giving other dogs space.

And then there is the obvious issue of getting the message out there to the average dog owner, and communicating to all the people who currently don't care that their dog is terrorising other dogs that they should care.

Edited by fuzzy82

I don't think yellow is the right colour. Should be red if you are going to do soemthing. Red means stop. Simple really.

Agree with this. Red would make a lot more sense and something a bit more obvious like a red scarf around the dog or something.

ETA: I think it's a good idea regardless. I suppose yellow was picked because it's a non-threatening colour, whereas red means 'warning'.

Edited by poochmad

This company posted on my rescue page last week. I think this is a great idea :) They also have collars, etc, for deaf and blind dogs which I'm hoping to get shortly.

http://www.thecannycaninesa.com

Lots of people tie pooh bags to their leash, so oftentimes people are used to seeing something tied on the leash. If they don't notice the yellow ribbon or don't know what it means it's not much use really, the owner will still have to explain.

I like the Canny Canine idea, the collar, harness and lead all say exactly what you want people to know :)

Also alot of the "less desirable" people that own dogs and usually have an agressive dog or an off leash dog simply wouldnt care.

you could apply that to anything really, but in the case of doing good or trying to prevent something, if it helps save one stressful walk, or one dog from being hurt, it's done good, right? No harm in tying a yellow ribbon, but it can potentially prevent harm. :shrug:

This company posted on my rescue page last week. I think this is a great idea :) They also have collars, etc, for deaf and blind dogs which I'm hoping to get shortly.

Lots of people tie pooh bags to their leash, so oftentimes people are used to seeing something tied on the leash. If they don't notice the yellow ribbon or don't know what it means it's not much use really, the owner will still have to explain.

I like the Canny Canine idea, the collar, harness and lead all say exactly what you want people to know :)

that would be how the word gets spread wouldn't it?

The cannycanine page is'nt loading for me :(

collars might be hard to see on fluffy dogs though, I know fur-panto's collar gets hidden under her fur.

The cannycanine page is'nt loading for me :(

collars might be hard to see on fluffy dogs though, I know fur-panto's collar gets hidden under her fur.

Good point, I guess the lead would be the main visual key for fluffies. Just realised that they don't have small sizes either, only medium to large sizes. poop.

I don't think yellow is the right colour. Should be red if you are going to do soemthing. Red means stop. Simple really.

I'd agree with that. I noticed that the company that makes those friendly dog collars (or whatever they're called) have yellow for "adopt me" so that further confuses things. Does your dog need space or are you trying to find it a home? Two very different things.

Realistically, as others have said, unless it got wide publicity, it's a bit of a waste of time and it's also not entirely intuitive- red definitely would be a better colour.

I was just reading thier site further, and it seems they hope to get producers of other products such as collars and halti's on board to make 'yellow' products that point out the DINOS. I can only surmise here, but I would assume that red would not of been the colour of choice as it would indicate an aggresive dog (like the collars that are red and white), and I think the message is that they are not aggresive dogs or to be feared, but just dog's that need some space.

If they can get the marketing behind to a large enough level, I think it could work.

naughty people in your link have stolen the logo from a dog charity!

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/

I was just reading thier site further, and it seems they hope to get producers of other products such as collars and halti's on board to make 'yellow' products that point out the DINOS. I can only surmise here, but I would assume that red would not of been the colour of choice as it would indicate an aggresive dog (like the collars that are red and white), and I think the message is that they are not aggresive dogs or to be feared, but just dog's that need some space.

If they can get the marketing behind to a large enough level, I think it could work.

While i think red would have been a good choice as it is a natural warning colour - there are lots of dogs that have red leads, so it may not stand out as easily a yellow