Foster Failure

I would like to know how others decide if a foster will be a keeper.

So far I have managed to let all my rescues go even though a couple of them could have become failures quite easily, if they had fit into our home environment better.

Now I have a dilemma, I have a little poodle here that is 7 years old and when we took him in 6 weeks ago he was scared and in appalling condition.

Now he is a bouncy happy boy in almost excellent condition, we are still working on some skin issues. He reminds me soo much of my first poodle and I dont think I can let him go.

He is good with the kids and other animals and fits in very well.

Problem is now we have 5 dogs which is our limit so no more rescues. Four are boys and a couple of them are now peeing on things inside, something we are working on. Both my girl cats are a bit upset with having a new dog around.

I have a couple more weeks to decide but my heart is having fight with my head and I'm finding it hard to make a choice.

What should I do?

My foster failure became one as I have yet to find a home who could handle her. She has major behaviour problems and I even struggle with her. I love my Rini to death, but she drives me insane sometimes! If a home more suited to her came up, I would be sad but would give her happy for her to become the best dog she could be, as to me that's the most important thing to come out of fostering rescue dogs, giving them the best opportunity you can. It can be hard, but if your home is perfect for the dog and the bond is there, there may not be a reason to rehome them, but if there is a home/family better suited to the dogs needs, I think we need to do the right thing by the animal and let them go.

Hmn... my Andy became a foster failure because no-one wanted him when I mentioned he had very mild unmedicated focal epilepsey. Four years down the track, he's become such a fantastic dog I've had a couple of offers for him. Too late!!!! He ain't going anywhere. thumbsup1.gif

ETA this is the little dog no-one wanted...

A couple of days after I got him in January 2009...

post-11746-0-27388600-1365207102_thumb.jpg

And Snook's photo of him 2.5 years down the track in December 2011...

post-11746-0-48583200-1365207157_thumb.jpg

Edited by westiemum

I only tend to keep ones that have real health or behavioural issues that I can cope with but other people would find hard to manage.

I have just kept a tiny 12 yr old because he's had a most terrible life, I've adjusted him to life inside a house and love and he's thrived on both.

Had a nice potential home for him but I had several misgivings and decided that he's been through such a massive trauma - he was very sick and abused when I got him early Feb, that it would be more trauma to adjust to someone else's way of life. He may not have long left although I hope it will be a lot longer than that but he's very fragile and his terrible life is likely to catch up with him.

And I should add that I love him truly, madly, deeply and would have broken my own heart if I thought that was what was best for him.

Edited by dogmad

I've wanted to keep all my Italian Greyhound fosters, but none of them quite fit our home so I knew they would be happier elsewhere. Then Jolie walked in the door and I knew she was staying. :) It was instant love for me and she fit in so well, it was like she'd always been here.

I've kept a few foster cats too and most of those were simply because they never got adopted. I do have two that I kept because they were extra special hand raised babies that I couldn't bare to let go. :)

I would mull it over for the next few weeks, see how the cats go, see how the little dog improves and then decide. There is no right or wrong answer. Sometimes you just know an animal was meant to be yours. :)

Edited by *kirty*

That's a difficult one, Rascal, and in the final analysis, only you can decide. Going on this:

Now he is a bouncy happy boy in almost excellent condition, we are still working on some skin issues. He reminds me soo much of my first poodle and I dont think I can let him go.

I have a sneaky feeling that I know what I would do :laugh: :love:

ETA: I was fostering a dog a long time ago and, despite having happily waved goodbye to several previous fosters and rescues, when the rescuer told me she had had enquiries for this particular dog, I felt sick. Need I say more LOL.

Edited by Danny's Darling

I have 2 foster failures - my smallest permanent dog (my first foster failure) is 14kgs - the latest failure turned out to be a Dane cross! That makes 4 large dogs permanently living here... but I still take on foster pups... *grin*

Call me crazy... I'll take it as a compliment... lol!

T.

My foster failure stayed because she is really hard to rehome. She jumps 6ft fencing and doesn't want to live with kids. We tried for 10mths and had 63 enquiries for her - all unsuitable.

She fits in perfectly with me and my gang, especially now my fences are all detention centre standard height :laugh:

Thats her in the middle when we decided to adopt. Gracie - my 42kg fence jumping Wookie:) A fantastic foster sibling and awesome friend.

post-33610-0-24268400-1365229557_thumb.jpg post-33610-0-98562700-1365229779_thumb.jpg

post-33610-0-22117300-1365229791_thumb.jpg

It's funny you say that DD about feeling sick. Stan was my first foster greyhound and within the first week I had a family coming up from Sydney to meet him. When I got the call I actually felt sick and knew then he was a keeper, well actually after I woke up the first morning with this large dog asleep with his big pointy head on my pillow I knew then. I had other foster greys after that and one I aaaalmost failed with, a gorgeous girl but she went to such a beautiful home and then along came little Miss Madeleine :heart: She was so little for a grey, thin, scared but sooooo cuddly and Stan just loved her!! That was it, a month later after getting some weight on her and her facial scars were healed they asked me if she was ready to go up for adoption and I knew she was staying as well. I don't have anywhere near the experience of rescuers here but I do know my gut feeling...and I was right :)

My FF has behavior problems, he has been badly abused in the past and has lots of fear issues. We have had him a year and i call him mine, however if the right home came up id let him go. We arent the right home for him but its us or PTS and he seems happy

If you want him and can manage him id keep him. My husband had one he wished he kept which would have stopped us fostering, he still regrets it and we cant foster now anyway

Edited by chuckandsteve

I have 2 foster failures - my smallest permanent dog (my first foster failure) is 14kgs - the latest failure turned out to be a Dane cross! That makes 4 large dogs permanently living here... but I still take on foster pups... *grin*

Call me crazy... I'll take it as a compliment... lol!

T.

And how does that answer Rascal's question?

For me it has been whether someone else can provide more than I can and the obvious one - if the dog bonds immediately and shows parts of itself to potential adopters so quickly that it has taken weeks for them to show to me. Pei tend to pick who they want to live with, which is how we got our FF. And I don't have kids, don't live near the beach or on a farm or take my dogs camping or to work with me, so when I say 'more' these are the things I'm thinking about - giving that dog a more enriched life. It's a subjective one, but when you see a foster in their new forever home just devoted to the kids or waiting at the door for their new dad to arrive home you know you did the right thing.

I have shocked myself by deciding to keep my current foster, a hairless Chinese crested. Bowie just seemed to fit in the moment he arrived. He s also such an easy dog he never really feels like extra work.

I decided to keep Bowie because I fell in love with him and can't bear to part with him. It was a much easier decision than I thought it would be.

I have always sort of regretted sending Pippa (aka Pippy long stockings cause of her long legs) to her new home - but they were great people and really fell in love with her.

I still remember crying like a baby all the way home after I dropped her off last year.

I don't know what makes a foster a failure - I guess it is like anything in life, some things/people/animals just touch our hearts more than others..

I have recently been asked to take her back as her family are moving and can't take her with them - so I am looking forward to seeing her again.

7138050891_14957aaa67.jpg

Not the camera again by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

Her and Zig together - she was such a character

7138068667_664e555ef9.jpg

Pups trying to concentrate on training by Jodie Moore Photos, on Flickr

Edited by Staffyluv

Thanks for all the replies. Love the photo's of all the foster failures they all look so happy.

At this stage I'm leaning towards Grayson staying. When he arrived one of his main problems was severly infected ears, for the first few days it took two of us and we had to muzzle him just to put the drops in they were so sore. Yesterday I thought I would try plucking them (on my own) since it's been a month with no infection, I was so suprised when he let me with no fuss, even though it sounds minor it showed me how much trust i've gained from him over the last few weeks.

His skin has also dramatically improved but looks like it will be an ongoing problem, his teeth have been cleaned and all the redness is gone from his gums but also another thing that will need to be monitored and maintained. At least if he stays with us I know he will be looked after and never end up in such poor condition again.

Hopefully we can stop the boys peeing on things, I think my youngest boy is the main culprit I have caught him twice now.

I'm trying to imagine a Chinese Crested in Brokeni Hill :laugh: Litres of sunscreen in Summer and a wardrobe of wonderful coats in Winter.

Photos please :provoke:

Well see that's just it. Because he was left out in the backyard before coming to rescue his skin has gone very dark, it's like a suntan they get so it protects their skin, he only needs sunscreen on his nose. Plus they aren't Into sunbathing like the iggies are.

Bowie

f46e58f3e339e65170466717a8925f3c.jpg

This is Huxley a scruffy terrier mix. He's from Coota pound and was meant to go to JRT Rescue but we decided to take him on trial as he fit in so well, it's been about 6 months and he's still here :laugh: It's like we've always owned him. He has some timidity issues but he's just getting better and better each day. He's also hilarious.

P4070267.jpg[/url]

he fits in well with the rest of the crazies and we adore him :D

Here he is with other foster fail,'Maybe' ( although I knew she was a foster fail when i met her in the pound :laugh: )

P4070318-2.jpg[/url]

Any guesses on what breeds are in there lol?

Edited by mixeduppup