Multiple Dog Permits With Coucils

Kirislin

Be wary of any idiotic procedural requirements of your council too.

There are some where you can't apply for the extra dog permit before you have the dog. No explanation of what to do with said dog if you get knocked back of course.

Yes, that's how it is here. I was always worried about that too but it has to be a valid complaint, such as noise, smell or inadequate fencing allowing the dogs to roam I think.

That's the situation in our area, you can't get a permit for a third dog until AFTER you have the dog, then you have to register the dog & make the application, which is about 3 pages & has to include a plan of our property showing all fencing & heights & kennels etc, THEN they go to the neighbours, so I asked the council what happens if someone objects, the answer, oh you would have to get rid of the dog icon_smile_mad.gif, is there any way around this, ummmm NO, in what world does that make any sort of sense???

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can understand in our area people don't usually make the effort to do the right thing and apply for a permit before getting the dog. They most often use it after they have already caught someone out with three dogs and they are made to make the application.

So the form is designed for someone who already has the dog. It doesn't make sense to me either.

With our council you don't pay a fee to have a permit for extra dogs and you don't have a yearly fee. It applies to you on that property until such time as there are complaints or you move.

Here you get a third dog permit easily, just go in, they look up for complaints there are none so you get it, 4th dog they look at your property speak to your nieghbours then issue.

Out on the farm even though legally I can have 4 without a permit many farmers have up to 10 and no-one cares.

I currently have a permit for 30, didn't cost me anything just had to write a letter asking for it, they knew I had the kennels and it was in conjunction with that, I got a return letter and was all good.

Has anyone here been rejected? I must fess up to not having done anything about Tempeh because I'm terrified they will tell me no. We have had 3 dogs here for years but my sister's dog was always registered to mum and dad's place just around the corner from us. She only got around to changing it early last year when I think she decided she was staying with me for good. It would be just my luck if they said no to Temp given she stayed with us because she didn't want to live with anyone else!

Be wary of any idiotic procedural requirements of your council too.

There are some where you can't apply for the extra dog permit before you have the dog. No explanation of what to do with said dog if you get knocked back of course.

That rule also applies here too

Has anyone here been rejected? I must fess up to not having done anything about Tempeh because I'm terrified they will tell me no. We have had 3 dogs here for years but my sister's dog was always registered to mum and dad's place just around the corner from us. She only got around to changing it early last year when I think she decided she was staying with me for good. It would be just my luck if they said no to Temp given she stayed with us because she didn't want to live with anyone else!

they did ask my neighbours either side of me. One said no but the other, who is a bit of a pain, and always stirring up sh!t and goes to council meetings etc gave me a glowing verbal reference and when the other neighbour said no they asked him to write it down! Mind you I already had three dogs and had had so for years, often 4, but the council letter to the neighbours read as if I wanted yet another one on top of the 3 I already had.

They did not check with the neighbours behind me or across the road.

Crikey, I just put in my application today, it's a $55 one off fee, the ranger comes out and looks at your garden and then sends you an approval letter. Rego is the same as for any other dog.

ETA: Ours is one where you have to have the dog first. I get the impression that they rarely, if ever, say no.

Edited by moosepup

you have to fill out a form and ask neighbours to sign if they agree to you having the more than required dogs and the ranger will ring and speak to them and also a yard inspection will happen and if you are successful in getting a permit you have to pay $75.00 as a once of payment and then just pay the council registration fees for each dog every year...if one dog passes on or you get another dog you have to apply for another permit....that is in Ballarat Victoria and I think may differ slightly in each council :)

Edited by dezzyno.1

I paid $120 for a 3rd dog permit, the council came out and checked our fences and that the yard was tidy, we were granted approval straight after that (we're in Moreton Bay council in Brisbane). Council guy didn't even go in the backyard, just looked over the side fence. Their inspection though I was told they would ring beforehand for access to the yard, they don't it is a surprise visit which I get and think is probably fair enough.

I feel so lucky reading all these comments that we didn't have to do any of the things you guys have to do to get a permit ! they didn't come out here to look at the property first, or ask our neigbours (that we know anyway) and we didnt have to ask them first either and we didnt have to pay an application fee for it.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

In my area we have to get a permit for 3 dogs but its rarely approved! There is a application fee (non refundable) and you have to have 'exceptional circumstances' to be approved. They carried on about Palmerston having a 'dog epidemic' and this was their way of controlling it. I suggested they crack down on all the roaming dogs and people who walk dogs off lead all over the place and there wouldn't be as many issues.

When I got the permit for my 4th dog, I had to write a letter and the council rang our neighbours ( I had no idea they did this till one neighbour told me) and then I got the letter to say the permit had been approved but it was not really a permit as such more just a letter to say we are allowed to have four dogs and have to comply with regular payment of rego etc. The didn't even inspect my yard.

With mine I have to pay $77 which I'd thought was a one off fee, but it's actually every year, on top of the individual dog regos. The ranger came out, took photos of my dogs, the chickens managed to get on the photos too, she photographed my fences and driveway and surrounds.

For 3 dogs, they came and looked at the property to grant me permission for those particular 3 dogs.

If I change dogs, I have to get the permission changed for those particular 3 dogs.

That is, I don't have a permit for 3 - I have permission to have X, Y, and Z.

Now I am in the process of getting permission to get a 4th dog and I still don't have a definite response despite putting in my application in November. So annoying.

I live in the SE suburbs of Melbourne and pay $52 for a 3 year permit to keep "three greyhound-type dogs". The initial permit assessment process included a detailed application, visit by an animal ranger, and sign-off by all immediate neighbours. I get a reminder to renew the permit every three years, send through the same property information and ask my neighbours to sign the form. The Council may re-inspect our property on reapplication but has not done this to date. After the first year, I pay the usual registration fee for the third dog. My Council is very good about granting the permits. I gather that the neighbouring Council is not nearly so accommodating.

Sunshine coast council charge an application fee of $165 and like others have said, given all the information they ask about the 3rd dog you really have to already have it when you apply. The whole process from start to finish took about 3 months when I applied, which was ridiculous. I was terrified they would say no, really do not know what I would have done in that case.

They did come and inspect the property before they granted permission and the license is only for my specific 3 dogs, and they did write to my neighbours, next door and over the road.

The fee is a one off payment, though, and normal dog license fees apply each year.

wow, this thread makes me REALLY glad to live where I do! I would hate having my animals limited with someone able to revoke my right to keep them at any moment! I have 8 dogs, 2 Rabbits, 2 Birds, 1 hamster, 150 gerbils, 2 snakes and a bunch of fish....and so long as the dogs are licensed with the city and my animal have food, water and clean housing I don't have to apply for anything, or get inspected, and nobody can revoke anything.

lol depends on where in canada different citys have entirely different laws. there is a lot of places in canada where I could not live like I do. for example I was looking up Vancouver's pet laws, there is a 3 dog limit without a kennel licence, a 6 small pet (combined total) limit with no exceptions etc..

wow, this thread makes me REALLY glad to live where I do! I would hate having my animals limited with someone able to revoke my right to keep them at any moment! I have 8 dogs, 2 Rabbits, 2 Birds, 1 hamster, 150 gerbils, 2 snakes and a bunch of fish....and so long as the dogs are licensed with the city and my animal have food, water and clean housing I don't have to apply for anything, or get inspected, and nobody can revoke anything.

Many low density areas in the US are the same. Unless you're causing problems, you can keep a few animals. The cities get more particular, and some states are particular. Now if you want to raise pigs, it's a different matter (though where I am in Florida they are ok with miniature pig varieties as household pets in semi-rural areas).