Dog Biting Child

doggleworth

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have human children myself, but if any of my dogs bit anyone unprovoked, I'd give them their wings... even my heart dog.

I hope your little boy is OK - and that any scarring (emotional as well as physical) is minimal.

It's never an easy decision to PTS - even when we know in our hearts it's the right thing to do. You have my deepest sympathies...

T.

Get Professional advice - the dog is clearly not understanding that the new 'creature' in the house is above him in the pecking order. Is this dog the top ranking amongst your two dogs? If so that would explain why the other hasn't had an issue.

But then Im the sort of person who doesn't think dogs just 'turn' and there is usually a reason and have read enough to know that any unwanted behaviour that has not responded to what was first suggested should be revisited with a professional.

Or perhaps try posting on the facebook site for The Paw Man - he is brilliant but based in Brisbane so not in your location - but could perhaps suggest someone who could consult before you put down the dog.

While i will refrain from giving advice on what you should do i just wanted to make a couple of points-

- Keeping a dog and child permanently separate is near impossible. Once the child is mobile chances are they will make a mistake and go through a gate or door they shouldn't. The consequences for such a mistake could be more dire.

- It sounds as though you have done ALOT of great things and you should be commended for that. I am sorry this has happened after everything that you did and hope your little one is okay.

- Situations like this very rarely have anything to do with the dog believing they are higher in the pecking order than the child.

oh you poor thing. Is your little boy ok?????

It seems like you have done everything in your power to make it work and it hasn't. As a mother of a 9 month old and two goldens I really feel for you.

Many many hugs :hug:

I'm so very sorry that you have to make this choice & hope that your little boy is alright.

I had to make the same decision when our cat attacked my son & did some real damage, it was heart breaking but it was for the best.

I don't think anyone can make the choice for you, go gently.

I would probably manage them, I don't think I could put my dog down, maybe I'd think differently if it happened to me, I don't know.. I wouldn't judge someone for doing it, only you know your dog and your situation. All the best, horrible position to be in.

I hope your baby is ok.

Guest Clover

I hope your bubba is ok? :(

Even keeping baby and dog completely separated is too risky, especially when bub gets up and walking.

I am so sorry you are in this situation :hug:.

Perhaps at his age, there could be other issues happening such as dementia, Cushings or a brain tumour.

This can lead to aggression - sudden an unexpected. I had to euthanase one of my own dogs at 7. He'd bitten me 3 times for no apparent reason. There were other strange behaviours and incidents all happening around the same time. Maybe there are some subtle signs that you have missed as you are busy? The last thing with my dog was urinary incontinence and a bite during the night that just missed my eye.

Last year I rescued another dog of around 7 or 8. She also bit me several times and showed phenomenal aggression to my neighbour's children when they knocked at the door. SHe'd attacked another foster dog and shown some strange behaviours as well which were getting worse. I put her to sleep as well, she was not rehomable and I couldn't keep her.

I wouldn't automatically put a dog to sleep without having carefully reviewed the whole situation but you definitely can't keep the dog around children. It would be almost impossible to rehome in your case too so you aren't left with too many choices.

thanks for the comments everyone.

My son is okay-he was seen by a nurse and our doctor, wounds cleaned and put on antibiotics. We are hopeful that it won't leave a scar.

Our dog's behaviour has been off for the last year or so-I am wondering if there is something else that has caused the behaviour shift as he has been distant towards everyone when he used to be my little shadow. He has never shown aggression to any other child, just my son, and it is just so upsetting for us but I can't spend the next 5-6 years wondering when someone will stuff up, leave a gate or door open and my child will be mauled.

I'm finding this very difficult-he was my <3 dog

Given that the dog is actively attacking your son, I would PTS. I wouldn't even consult a professional to be honest - as one slip up, one gate open could result in your baby losing an eye or worse. With adults you can take risks and try behaviour modification - you can't with babies IMO.

ETA: of course the dogs life has changed since the baby was born - that is life . Most dogs adjust, but some don't.

Edited by megan_

Agree Megan.

Don't feel guilty, you gave him a great 10 years, he had a good life and he will never suffer the pains of ageing. You haven't got an alternative here, no matter how hard I juggle it in my head, a 9 month old living with a dog that feels driven to hurt him, it's not an acceptable risk factor. I doubt any behaviourist would take this one anyway, given the child's age.

It hurts, but being a good mum is maybe the hardest thing in the world sometimes.

What a sad situation :(. I am glad your son is ok .... I don't have children so I don't know what I would do, it's hard to know unless its you. In your heart you will know what to do.. Whether its worth seeing a behaviourist or Pts.

A very tough decision ......but as a parent the only safe one to do.

Things will be tough as bub will be toddling soon and attempting to walk and pull himself up on everything. This will be stressful for your dog as well.

Most of us here have had to make that tough decision of when to say goodbye. You will do what is right for your family. Be kind to yourself.

I wouldn't automatically put a dog to sleep without having carefully reviewed the whole situation but you definitely can't keep the dog around children. It would be almost impossible to rehome in your case too so you aren't left with too many choices.

Not necessarily. The dog has shown aggression only to the child. In another place he might be the perfect dog :shrug:. Finding that place that could be difficult, time consuming and probably emotionally exhausting.

Not necessarily. The dog has shown aggression only to the child. In another place he might be the perfect dog :shrug:. Finding that place that could be difficult, time consuming and probably emotionally exhausting.

from the first post in this thread ..
Our dog is 10 years old and fear aggressive towards most other dogs. He isn't suited to being on his own,

and he has bitten a baby now ...

responsible rehoming would be a very,very difficult task indeed, and would just add to the dog's stress /confusion now ... poor boy.

How many other dogs do you have?

If you decide to PTS this dog, then you need a veterinary behaviourist consultation on how to manage the other dogs with your child.

You cannot keep dogs separate from children, in the same home, indefinitely. You must help your other dogs integrate safely with the baby as well, not just assume they will be OK.

No-one here should be giving you advice on whether or not to PTS your dog, that's between you and your trusted vet.

I adopted a dog from a well-known and very respected interstate rescue group. One of the few requirements I had was that the dog be good with children. It didn't have to love them, as long as it was okay. The dog arrived and not only was he not okay with kids, attempts by them at approaching him would be met with snarls and if they got close enough, air snaps (which I assume would progress to actual bites, if he was pushed too far). I didn't want to send him back, not with "seems very likely to bite children" hanging over his head so we kept him and yes, have kept him separated from our children ever since (more than six years). We have two other dogs who are fine with children so they have free access to all the house except kids' bedrooms. The dog who is not fine with kids has his own area where he is safe from children and they are safe from him. It works well and he's a happier dog for having his own safe place- we have actually seen small improvements over the years in his reactions towards kids.

I feel sad that the dog was put in a position to make a fatal mistake as the poster has said the dog had been growling at the child for months so the dog shouldn't have been allowed near the child.

To me the poster separates the dog from the child or euthanizes although it sounds as though the decision has already been made. RIP old chap.

Our dog's behaviour has been off for the last year or so-I am wondering if there

is something else that has caused the behaviour shift as he has been distant

towards everyone when he used to be my little shadow.

Something I would have discussed with a Vet Behaviourist before it escalated.

He has never shown aggression to any other child, just my son

Something to discuss with a Behaviourist, could be simple pack dynamics and a plan put in place to rectify, but it's sadly too late now as the damage has been done.

I know you're hurting and I don't want to be negative but to me this was a mis-management issue and I'm very sorry for all involved.

Edited by sas