Advice Needed On Rottweiler And Little Dogs

Cartersmum

Go see Glenn Cooke at Pet Resorts Australia, he's a rottie professional. He can be motivated its just you're not pushing the right button. He's discovered the value of chasing and how fun it is now you're hard pressed to get him to listen, and don't think it's something you've done wrong over the years... Dog's come up with 'great ideas' all the time! We just have to learn to adjust ourselves and our training to cope with what they come up with next.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you need convincing that he shouldn't be near small dogs, I have posted an article in the News forum about a dog attack in the UK by a larger dog on a small dog - utterly horrific.

Once again no helpful advice, just bashing big dog breeds. :scold:

Don't be so condescending Mantis with your wagging finger - it's not appropriate and you make yourself look stupid - I'm not big dog bashing in the slightest. I gave my advice which was not to go to dog parks right now. I won't bother telling you about the rescue GSDs and GSPs I've helped lately. You have no idea what I do in my spare time.

This is how accidents happen - people don't pay attention to what their dogs are doing, are not in tune and not in control. Luckily this owner has now become switched on and is doing something about it. If they continued, there may be a horrible accident.

it could be a Jack Russell but it happens to be a Rottweiler and you do need to be sensitive to the size difference - if you want the responsibility of a large dog then you need to do the right thing.

if you want the responsibility of a large dog then you need to do the right thing.

Which is exactly what the poster is doing.

Go out and get yourself some big, really big, dogs, dogmad and see things from the other side.

Thanks DD, I have handled many large dogs over the years of all kinds - spent 3 years at the AWL handling only large dogs. I had a GSD cross a few years ago, she was 28 kilos but that's probably not big enough on your scale I imagine? You don't have to be a current owner of a large dog to enter this thread do you? That would count you out as well.

Go see Glenn Cooke at Pet Resorts Australia, he's a rottie professional. He can be motivated its just you're not pushing the right button. He's discovered the value of chasing and how fun it is now you're hard pressed to get him to listen, and don't think it's something you've done wrong over the years... Dog's come up with 'great ideas' all the time! We just have to learn to adjust ourselves and our training to cope with what they come up with next.

:thumbsup: ... so true Nek.

I can also recommend Glenn.

Edited by dyzney

Mita, that tibbie boy would be our rogue, Miki. Funnily enough, he came across a rotti yesterday and did not react at all! He had a flat face so must be friend not foe!!

Carter is gorgeous. All the best in sorting out his reaction to small dogs. We received professional help with our dog aggressive tibbie and it made a huge difference.

Any form of aggressive looking behaviour from ANY dog is unacceptable.

Unfortunately though, it's always going to be the larger dog that will cop the blame if there is an alteration - regardless whether they started it or not.

As an owner of a large dog, one needs to be well aware of the obvious media/public bias, and make sure that our furkids are never put in a position to cop any flak for their behavior - provoked or not.

The OP is doing the right thing by asking for help/advice... which should be applauded IMHO.

Oh - and Carter is a stunningly handsome boy... please plant a kiss from me on his boofy schnozz...

T.

Hi OP, I have a dobe x rottie who used to be wonderful in dog parks until she reached maturity and had a few incidents with smaller dogs and like you, my girl discovered the value in chasing these smaller dogs. I don't go to off leash dog parks. I am lucky to be able to use smaller fenced in pens at St Ives showgrounds, where dogs can run in peace away from other dogs. She is great with most bigger dogs and is no problem at all amongst any dog if they are all on lead. I often walk around my mum's retirement village with the residents and their smaller (and usually older) little dogs and there is never an issue. I have learnt to do different things with my dog - we do obedience, have now got our Rally title, I run with her (she is a great jogging partner), we go to cafes with no problem, I take her to my son's rugby games and never an issue (most people adore her and she has always loved interacting with people). It is only off lead that there is an issue and I will never allow anything to happen (as much as I can control it).

I agree totally with what everyone else is saying here - there is lots to do without going to off leash dog parks. They are not the be all and end all. In fact they have many risks and you have to weigh up those risks. With so many ignorant people that use these parks, I believe they are really only for the happy go lucky dogs, as I've seen and heard of too many incidents.

Good luck with Carter - what a gorgeous looking boy.

You don't have to be a current owner of a large dog to enter this thread do you? That would count you out as well.

I didn't keep shoving opinion and advice when she'd already taken on board what had been suggested. And when enough had been said by Rottweiler owners and experts.

You don't have to be a current owner of a large dog to enter this thread do you? That would count you out as well.

I didn't keep shoving opinion and advice when she'd already taken on board what had been suggested. And when enough had been said by Rottweiler owners and experts.

Really I wish you two would just block each other and stop with the constant snide remarks, consider yourselves both reported

Mita, that tibbie boy would be our rogue, Miki. Funnily enough, he came across a rotti yesterday and did not react at all! He had a flat face so must be friend not foe!!

Carter is gorgeous. All the best in sorting out his reaction to small dogs. We received professional help with our dog aggressive tibbie and it made a huge difference.

Miki, a rogue? Never, ESCS ... in his mind he was a small lion protecting his family! He would've given his life for his 'human' children.

I'm not surprised that Miki gave the Rottie a free pass ... yes, there was the flattish face again.

I know my Tibbie girls adored the huge, gorgeous Rotties they met at Million Paws Walk.... who were so sweet & gentle with them.

But the girls also totally accepted a lovely Standard Poodle.... long nose and all!

I agree with you.... there's nothing like professional help. And here's wishing the OP the best in finding that help for Carter.

Really I wish you two would just block each other and stop with the constant snide remarks, consider yourselves both reported

That's fine by me if it can prevent any newcomer who has come to the forum for advice being castigated and conescended to by others.

Especially Dogmads obsession of bagging big dogs & especially Bull breeds. As soon as I see a thread by them, I know what it will be about. It's upsetting seeing that on a dog lovers forum. :mad

That's fine by me if it can prevent any newcomer who has come to the forum for advice being castigated and conescended to by others.

Especially Dogmads obsession of bagging big dogs & especially Bull breeds. As soon as I see a thread by them, I know what it will be about. It's upsetting seeing that on a dog lovers forum. :mad

You need to block her then. It is getting tiring reading the same reply after everything she posts.

You need to block her then. It is getting tiring reading the same reply after everything she posts.

As tempting it is to reply negatively to certain types of postings - I find that they tend to decrease more readily if they don't get any attention.

I understand where you are coming from though mantis... and I'm not fussed on seeing posts that appear to be bagging out certain breed types at every opportunity either - but getting into a slanging match about it each and every time is also very tiring.

T.