Cancelling Holiday To Stay With Elderley Dog

kwirky

My elderley love, Hunter (14 year old golden retriever) is heading down his final path (I am devistated to even be thinking this).

He has been in great health and spirits up until recently when he has just been off; slower and maybe a little down. I will be taking him to the vet for a check up this week.

Anyway I was due to go to Bali this coming weekend but I just can't. I keep thinking that if his time is coming I don't want him with anyone but me for the remainder of his life.

Is my thinking off?

I think this is one of those situations where you do what is right for you. If it is possible to put of the Bali trip and you would rather postpone it until potentially Hunter is no longer with you then do it, if anything were to happen while you were away you would regret going.

My elderley love, Hunter (14 year old golden retriever) is heading down his final path (I am devistated to even be thinking this).

He has been in great health and spirits up until recently when he has just been off; slower and maybe a little down. I will be taking him to the vet for a check up this week.

Anyway I was due to go to Bali this coming weekend but I just can't. I keep thinking that if his time is coming I don't want him with anyone but me for the remainder of his life.

Is my thinking off?

Not to me. If you're in Bali and your mind is worrying about Hunter, what sort of a holiday would you have anyway?

I used to go overseas every 2 years for around 3 months at a time but once my sbt girl hit 14 I just couldn't bear the thought of leaving her and putting someone else in the position of having to make that final decision in my absence (if it happened). It really is a gut thing but a holiday would mean nothing to me if I came home to find one of my fur babies left without me by their side.

I have to go overseas next year for my sister's wedding. I am stressing a bit as Zoe turns 14 in October and Diesel turns 10 at the start of next year. I would really be devastated if either of them passed away while I was overseas :(

Is my thinking off?

Your thinking isn't off but if he gets the all clear from the vet I would still consider going. He could well go another year!. The last 3 winters I've worried I would lose my old girl. I couldn't be a slave to the worry in all that time and have holidayed when necessary. Sometimes you need a holiday for your own sanity. I would weigh it up after the check up versus the outcome and how much you really need this break. Is it already booked and paid for, how long has it been since you've had a break from life, how long you will be gone for, who will be caring for your dog etc etc.

I personally wouldn't go. About 3 months ago my husband and I decided to go away for a 3 day weekend, we took three dogs with us and left the other two dogs, cats and kids behind with my parents in law.

My elderly cat and the love of my life was 14 and starting to become blind and a bit frail.

As soon as we got back we noticed he had dramatically gone down hill he was euthanised four days later.

I now live with the guilt that I left him behind and the stress was what caused him to deteriorate so rapidly.

My immediate reaction to your post, kwirky, was that I would do the same. However, I believe Clyde's post is very sensible as well.

Depends on the length of the holiday and the vet check.

The problem is that we can't see into the future and old animals can just suddenly go downhill.

Best wishes for whatever you decide and I hope Hunter continues to plod along beside you for a while yet.

Bali will always be there :)

My son lives in the USA, and he and his wife have a new baby, she is now 3 months old, I don't know when I will get to see her because I can't leave my nearly 16 year old whippet Jazz, I couldn't bear to leave her, she worries when she can't see me, and is deaf too.

I have a lovely lass who comes and stays in my house to babysit the dogs, but I couldn't bear the thought of not being here if something were to happen.

Sadly and realistically I won't have much more time to wait.

The Vet check may give you peace of mind to go, its just for 3 days, but only you can make that decision.

Hi all,

The holiday (booked and paid for) was to be for nearly 2 weeks.

Rascalmyshadow's comment really hit home and I do not want him to be stressed etc without me there.

Thanks for helping make my decision :)

I personally wouldn't go. About 3 months ago my husband and I decided to go away for a 3 day weekend, we took three dogs with us and left the other two dogs, cats and kids behind with my parents in law.

My elderly cat and the love of my life was 14 and starting to become blind and a bit frail.

As soon as we got back we noticed he had dramatically gone down hill he was euthanised four days later.

I now live with the guilt that I left him behind and the stress was what caused him to deteriorate so rapidly.

Stop feeling guilty - it could simply have been his time. My old cat degenerated badly over three days due to the onset of kidney failure.

I don't feel your thinking is off

I would stay with my boy if he wasn't looking good and I had a holiday planned. I'm quiet hesitant to book long OS holidays because he is old (but still very sprightly).

If you read my kenneling thread you will see I am having some issues with this too. One of dogs has a liver condition and there is no way to tell how long she will be around for. She is only 3. I am concerned about her care if I went away and also if it would stress her. I was only going for a couple of nights too but they would end up in the kennels for about 4 nights.

In this case I would talk to the vet and get their opinion. I remember going to the vets bawling my eyes out once as I thought I was taking my dog in to be put to sleep. The vet fixed her up and she lived another 3 years!

I don't feel guilty that this happened with my last dog, but it still hurts to think about it. I don't know if that hurt is because they're gone or because I wasn't there. It could be a combination of both. I had the time of my life whilst I was away and learnt so much. I don't regret it, however things might be different this time around. I certainly haven't applied or looked for any work or accepted internaitonal invitations because I don't want to be away from my dog for a long period of time (by long I mean over a couple months).

JulesP I once had to delay putting one of my old dogs to sleep by 24 hours because my vet and the head vet nurse weren't emotionally ready to say goodbye to him! All three of us were bawling! And neither of them were there to see him off the next day for the same reason. I think their staff told them their sobbing with the client wasn't professional!

Edited by Little Gifts