Sercuring Dog In Car

keasarge

90 members have voted

1. 1. how do you sercure your dog(s) in the car?

• seatbealt attachment
    • crate
    • dont sercure
    • other

Several times I've gone to let Max out to find she's stepped on the button thing and undone her seat belt. It's now duct taped so she can't, but she never moved even when she could as she knows going in the car means lay down and have a nap as that's how she was trained.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog is always restrained with a harness but am researching to get a safer one as they recently crash tested a number and many failed. I drive a small car so a crate will not fit.

It's nothing to do with a training issue, I work in a vet clinic and have seen first hand the injuries caused by a small unrestrained dog in a car accident. I would like to save my dog the pain of a shattered skull and eye ball socket from hitting the dash and this was a minor accident where the driver had no injuries.

When Boof had major surgery on his chest and had a long stitch line I didn't want to put him in a crate. He'd never been in a car without being in one or being in the boot. I sat him on the passenger seat beside me, unrestrained because of the surgery, and he just sat there looking at me. He didn't try to get in my lap or do anything. He wasnt exactly 100% comfortable. I could see he was a little stressed but he was a good boy nonetheless so I m not sure your theory is correct cali.

When Boof had major surgery on his chest and had a long stitch line I didn't want to put him in a crate. He'd never been in a car without being in one or being in the boot. I sat him on the passenger seat beside me, unrestrained because of the surgery, and he just sat there looking at me. He didn't try to get in my lap or do anything. He wasnt exactly 100% comfortable. I could see he was a little stressed but he was a good boy nonetheless so I m not sure your theory is correct cali.

I didn't say it was a theory lol just something I have seen happen more then once, the dogs reactions were along the lines of "OMG!! I got free, I'm so awesome, look at me, look at me!!" if the dog is trained and just happens to be restrained or the dog is the placid sort the point is really moot lol

my not restraining my own dogs has nothing whatsoever to do with this, I just have no desire whatsoever to tie and untie 6 dogs from my vehicle every single day 2 or more times a day and I can't fit that many big crates in it.

People should contest tickets like that.

And research beyond the sydney morning herald when regurgitating such "facts"!

actually I first read it in dogs life, than the Sydney morning herald and that's where a majority of their population obtain their 'factual' information from, you would have to expect them to be accurate on legal matters. I don't have time to research every aspect of every part of my life. I read it was illegal, know someone whom was fined plus it seems like common sense to restrain a dog in a moving vehicle.

People should contest tickets like that.

And research beyond the sydney morning herald when regurgitating such "facts"!

actually I first read it in dogs life, than the Sydney morning herald and that's where a majority of their population obtain their 'factual' information from, you would have to expect them to be accurate on legal matters. I don't have time to research every aspect of every part of my life. I read it was illegal, know someone whom was fined plus it seems like common sense to restrain a dog in a moving vehicle.

I found my factual legal sources from a google search which led me to the rta/rms website and law society :)

It is common sense, but it's not the law.

I voted other - my two go in the boot of our SUV and have harnesses which I then clip to the rear of the back seats with a short link. They have plenty of room to lie down and move around but this way if somehow the boot opens they can't just leap out.

I posted this recently as a reminder of why it's a good idea to have dogs secured in the back of a vehicle.

I was coming up to lights at a crossroad yesterday just as they turned red, so luckily was slowing down anyway. The car in front of me was the last one through and about 30m in front of me. I saw what I initially thought was a coat fall out of the side window, but then my brain kicked in and realised a dog had fallen from the car!! :eek: They would have been going about 20-30kms/hr I guess at the time.

I put my hazards on and stopped my car, leapt out and stopped the traffic in the lane next to me as well, and had my heart in my mouth while the dog dodged traffic coming across from the other direction! Somehow he made it to me without being hit and looked so relieved to be off the road. The person eventually got to me from the car and was so thankful and said he had just learnt how to open the window!

He was a gorgeous staffie/Am staff type boy and mostly looked ok. He wasn't putting weight on one rear leg, so I suggested an immediate trip to the vet, and a harness to secure him in the car in future!

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/251370-reminder-always-keep-dogs-secured-in-cars

... the Sydney morning herald and that's where a majority of their population obtain their 'factual' information from, you would have to expect them to be accurate on legal matters.

:coffeesplurk: Media? Accurate? Most media are there to make a profit. They report things that will do exactly that. You ever heard the old adage - "Don't let facts get in teh way of a good story."?

Law or not, there's no way I'd leave my dog loose in the car. It's not an option to fit a large crate in my car, so I've always used a harness and seatbelt attachment.

It does worry me that harnesses are not necessarily the safest option, but a 29 kg dog would be a hell of a missile in a serious accident. A harness seems like the lesser of two evils. A friend had her unrestrained mini poodle seriously injured in a minor car accident.

My dog sits up awkwardly or lies down on the back seat and sleeps when we drive.

It does worry me that harnesses are not necessarily the safest option, but a 29 kg dog would be a hell of a missile in a serious accident. A harness seems like the lesser of two evils. A friend had her unrestrained mini poodle seriously injured in a minor car accident.

A co-worker is married to a fireman - he once attended a car crash where a loose dog went flying and decapitated the driver.

A co-worker is married to a fireman - he once attended a car crash where a loose dog went flying and decapitated the driver.

:eek: How awful. Fire fighters and emergency service people see some terrible things. :(

. I don't have time to research every aspect of every part of my life. I read it was illegal, know someone whom was fined plus it seems like common sense to restrain a dog in a moving vehicle.

If you are going to go around saying something is the law when it is not it might pay to actually find out if it's true or not before posting.

Mine are also in the boot behind a cargo barrier. Had an 18kg dog and 35kg dog there during a head on accident where both cars were written off, with no injuries. Getting hit from behind probably would have had a different outcome but I don't think any one method is foolproof.

Law or not, there's no way I'd leave my dog loose in the car. It's not an option to fit a large crate in my car, so I've always used a harness and seatbelt attachment.

My dog sits up awkwardly or lies down on the back seat and sleeps when we drive.

Exactly.. Regardless whether it's illegal or not why wouldn't you make it safe for your pets? Everyone else in a car wears a seatbelt or seat in the car.

I've always been under the impression that having a dog loose in the car would lead to a charge for having an "unsecured load" if the police officer was feeling like sticking by the book.

I was also informed of loose dogs being a fineable offensive by my father, who was a QLD police officer for 20 years, and it was/is his pet hate so to say.

I had a seatbelt attachment but Jakes a bit speshul and kept turning himself into a pretzel with it. Then I had a wire crate that I needed to change and hadnt got "round to it" in the box on the backseat and jake in the boot part of the mini wagon. A not very violent brake and he came over the top of the seats and luckily my daughter in the passenger seat managed to stuff him back into the back seat. Learned my lesson and went and got a large plastic crate and trained him and now we are all safe and happy. Can't see a thing out the back window but that's why I have reverse sensors. The thought if what would happen to a reactive panicked dog in an accident makes me go cold.

Edited by hankdog

In my ute it was a crate in the tray, which she loved.

Now in the wagon I normally pop the back seat down, cover the whole back area with a tarp and I use a modified seatbelt lead clipped in the spot the seat 'clips' into when upright.

Not ideal but the crate is literally just centimetres to big for the wagon.. Lame..

Trying to find a cargo barrier I can put behind the front seat if I get a second dog..

( or a better car) ;)