Thoughts Please... :d They Worked! Thanks.

persephone

:(

Just got a phone call ..little Maggie having trouble walking- very lethargic .Went to vet - tender around liver - blood taken .

Home again ..dog collapsed.

Sobbing owner .. me trying to not panic ..I asked what had she eaten that was different .." yes- we shared some macadamias last night"

Little dog is now on the way back to the vets , where, hopefully with support , she will recover .

Any spare thoughts please, for the cheeky Miss Maggie .... a little scruff of a JRT X with a HUGE personality .....

Thankyou.

Edited by persephone

Wow, I didn't know macadamia nuts were poisonous to dogs! It's pretty surprising considering the small amount needed to cause a reaction, many other known poisonous foods need to be consumed in such large amounts to cause a reaction but according to a website I found only 2gs of macadamias per kilo of dog is needed. Luckily they're not one of my favorite nuts.

Fingers crossed for Maggie, hopefully she's feeling better soon.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Wow, thanks for telling us. Macadamias are my favourite nuts and I eat them all the time!

My Pug once ate a small bowl of (shelled) pistachios I had on the coffee table but he was fine.

I hope your friend's doggie will be okay :)

I really hope she recovers, could have been an accident but in this case they obviously didn't know. I used to give my Italian a biscuit made from grapes - imported for dogs from the US. The manufacturer eventually withdrew it because grapes of course are toxic for dogs ...

I really wish the RSPCA would busy themselves with warnings at this time of year - not to leave animals in hot cars and not to feed them certain foods at Christmas.

Best wishes Maggie,

from an article in UK Vet - Vol 12 No 1 January 2007

'Another unusual occurrence in dogs is ingestion of

macadamia nuts. These originate from the trees

Macadamia integrifolia and Macadamia tetraphylla. The

mechanism of toxicity is unknown; but may involve

a constituent of the nuts, processing contaminants or

mycotoxins (Hansen et al., 2002). Principal signs of

intoxication include weakness (more pronounced in

hind limbs), tremor, ataxia, vomiting, depression,

pyrexia, abdominal tenderness, lameness, stiffness and

recumbency. Ingestion of doses as low as 2.2 g/kg

have reportedly caused clinical effects. In an

experimental study doses of 20 g/kg given to dogs

caused clinical signs to develop within 2-3 hours.

These dogs deteriorated over the following 12 hours

but then recovered over the next 24-48 hours. It was

noted they developed mild elevations in serum

triglycerides and alkaline phosphatase (Hansen et al.,

2000). Management is generally supportive, with

decontamination appropriate for recent ingestions.

Use of mild laxatives may assist the passage of ingesta

through the gastrointestinal tract. Care should be

taken to ensure the animals remain hydrated.'

.. I am hoping in one way my guess is correct ,and that it is indeed macadamia toxicity ....that seems to resolve with good hydration and support.

I am so hoping for good news later today ... :crossfingers: My cousin will be devastated if the news is bad ...

Is it just the sweet soft part of the nut, that we eat?

I knew dogs who lived with macadamia trees who loved chewing on the hard shell, and even the green casing. They were very big farm dogs though, not a little scruffer.

Best wishes to Maggie

1388624840[/url]' post='6385061']

I have this image in my kitchen, but with my vets phone number and the emergency vets phone number (as it's an american poster), as a lot of people don't know about grapes or avocado etc

I'm going to save this, very helpful to have and pass on to other doggy owners. Grapes I only found out about a few years back, so I always try to pass on the message to others

Good thoughts being sent Perse

Best wishes Maggie,

from an article in UK Vet - Vol 12 No 1 January 2007

'Another unusual occurrence in dogs is ingestion of

macadamia nuts. These originate from the trees

Macadamia integrifolia and Macadamia tetraphylla. The

mechanism of toxicity is unknown; but may involve

a constituent of the nuts, processing contaminants or

mycotoxins (Hansen et al., 2002). Principal signs of

intoxication include weakness (more pronounced in

hind limbs), tremor, ataxia, vomiting, depression,

pyrexia, abdominal tenderness, lameness, stiffness and

recumbency. Ingestion of doses as low as 2.2 g/kg

have reportedly caused clinical effects.

Thanks for this info.

Avocados? Really? We had an avocado farm, and the farm dog used to snack on them regularly... but he had a cast iron constitution methinks... he also liked us to throw the seeds for him like they were tennis balls.

He also ate the macadamias that fell from the trees - after the rats had obligingly cracked the hard bit for him.

Zeddy loves pizza - the more onion on it the better as far as she's concerned...

T.

Avocados? Really? We had an avocado farm, and the farm dog used to snack on them regularly... but he had a cast iron constitution methinks... he also liked us to throw the seeds for him like they were tennis balls.

He also ate the macadamias that fell from the trees - after the rats had obligingly cracked the hard bit for him.

Zeddy loves pizza - the more onion on it the better as far as she's concerned...

T.

Some dogs are fine with things and some can't even handle a tiny bit (as the dog who is seriously ill after macadamias shows )

I know dogs who are fine with grapes, and others who seriously sick from having only a few. I guess the hit and miss with reactions is why they say to avoid them altogether, rather than fins out your dog is one that has a fatal reaction.

maggie is home ... still no blood results . The vet said as she only ate 8 -10 macadamias it is unlikely to be them .... Hmmmm..... Maggie only weighs around 8-10 kg i think.....

anyhow - as she is drinking , no IV either. She has had beef broth and watered down milk ..has , after being carried outside tottered a half metre..pee'd ..and then had a drink when carried back inside .

So ..waiting on an update -