Growing Old

rusty&biscuit

I just thought it'd be nice to show off photos of our oldies, and I would love to hear your stories about them. :)

Cherry my first ever dog turns 13 next week, and I've never had an old dog. I find it very hard to watch her go downhill so quick. Up until a few months ago, she loved her long walks and hikes. But now she can barely go 1km, so she gets special walks...which are more likes drives to the park so she can go at her own pace, and do a few zoomies before she gets tired. She has given me so much joy in her almost 13 years...even though she is the most unloyal little girl, she is so cheeky and affectionate and knows how to make people feel special. She is the most intelligent and keen to learn little thing I've owned, and she was with me throughout my schooling life. Through the highs and lows, and putting up with my 8 year old self teaching her lots of silly tricks. My little pound puppy introduced me to the world of agility and gave me many good years of competing with her. And although your guess of her breed is as good as mine, she is the one who got me even more emersed into the dog world. She may be old but I hope we have much more great memories ahead :)

She may sleep a lot now..

11976436653_39aa39bc98_z.jpg

Old Dogs are Good Dogs by All4aBiscuit, on Flickr

But watch out, she still has a cheeky glint in her eye..

12095893093_96372c68b7_z.jpg

IMG_6016 by All4aBiscuit, on Flickr

And is still full of smiles!

12095851713_3b9523704a_z.jpg

Give me a Smile by All4aBiscuit, on Flickr

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love your photos and story of Cherry.

What a special girl :love:

This is old man Ted. Ted and his brother Towser came to live with us on my 10th birthday.

Towser was always 'mine' and my stepmother 'owned' Ted. Although I did most of the looking after.

Towser passed away 2 and a bit years ago, but Ted is still going strong. He'll be turning 14 in May.

He still lives with my parents but has stopped enjoying beach walks and just does a trip to and from the mail box.

He is a cross between a Jack Russell and a Miniature Fox Terrier

531947_10151899862368308_886617794_n.jpg

The guy on the left was my lovely Towser

61986_151838264846610_6667641_n.jpg

Edited by Esky the husky

Lovely photo's and stories :thumbsup: I always underestimate the age of white dogs. If they have a lot of white on their face you don't notice the greys as much. Mum's APBT is 11 I think and she doesn't look it, though mum sees her everyday so notices the greys in her brown patches lol

This is my old girl Tiger, who is 12 (13 in May)

pegyjeqy.jpg

She's just been through a bit of a health scare and I was frightened I would lose her, but happily she's almost back to her old (lol) self now. She still enjoys a hoon around the paddock, though not for very long, but her favourite game is doing some obedience work for treats.

ETA She was 2 when I got her, though I'd known her since she was a baby - my first dog was from the same breeder. She came to me as a potential breeding bitch after being a successful show pup, but she needed quite a bit of work on her confidence after a fright. We did obedience classes to bond and she was a star. She was the first dog I trialled with and retired at age 9 after winning highest in trial at a Geelong trial and getting her CD title. I tried a couple of times to get her in whelp but was never successful. She's enjoyed playing with the various pups and adult dogs here over the years and has a special 'boyfriend' in Cuba the Corgi.

Edited by ish

I'll have to get some new photos of all mine. The five dogs are all oldies with Tamar just a puppy at 10 years :laugh:. My cat, Gussy, is over 15 years so she is older than all the dogs.

Yes, it hits hard when the dog who used to want to walk for an hour or more is happy to toddle around the block :cry: .

Edited by Danny's Darling

From my rainbow bridge threads :( I lost one dog after the other for 18 months.

Here's 3 of them :cry: my beautiful old men.

Tango

He was from Blacktown Pound. He was retired into our SSR Cherished Treasures program.

Tango-goodbye.jpg

Herbert, his last Christmas with us.

I adopted him from Monika's back when I volunteered in Drummoyne. He chose me.

eec0ef91-0e21-47c8-a1e2-05b99764bc0b.jpg

Percy, also his last Christmas with us.

From Renbury Farm, he too was retired and we had him for 18 wonderful months.

percyXMAS3.jpg

Edited by Powerlegs

This is Ricky who left us in 2011 just shy of 17. This pic was taken on her last day with us. She was painting us a picture for us to keep. It still has pride of place in the loungeroom. We have lots of knick knack reminders of her around the house still. She was one tough cookie and thought she was top dog right to the very end!

She was originally a shiny black girl but towards the end everything turned white!

post-33739-0-96691200-1390613405_thumb.jpg