An Accident Waiting To Happen

Michelleva

The last couple of months nearly everytime I walk my dogs (2 shelties) I come across a guy who is walking two dogs, one is a rottweiller and the other looks like a beagle or something. Since the first time I crossed their path, I'm terrified that something bad is going to happen.

I don't know if he dislikes all other dogs, but he definintely doesn't like Georgia. The guy is walking this rottweiller on an extendable lead and every time I've seen it, its reared up on its back legs and doing everything it can to try and reach my dog. The dog is deseperately trying to get control of the dog by yelling at it, etc and it doesn't hear anything he says. Last night I saw it direct that aggression at the other dog of his. It was on top of it and just going for it.

I had no intention of stopping, because I'm absolutely terrified of whats going to happen when that extendable lead breaks. Those things are bloody dangerous, that dog is at least 2 - 3 metres away from the guy everytime it starts going feral.

I was want to point out I have nothing against the dog or the breed, but the owner is a fool. And the dog is an accident waiting to happen, I just hope it doesn't happen to my dogs.

If I see this guy in the distance, I will always avoid them by changing directions, crossing the road, whatever, its just not worth it. Its starting to make me scared to take the dogs out for a walk though. :(

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walk you dogs somewhere else unless this happens right outside your gate & is unavoidable.

In that case try going out without your dogs & asking the guy from a distance if he can exercise more control somehow. Maybe he is trying but is clueless as to what to do.

Maybe start taking a stick with you. A wooden broom handle cut to length with a big nail in the end may make you feel braver or get a taser if you can :eek:

Gosh how scary for you & your dogs :eek: I can totally understand your fears. This man sounds like he is clueless

& any dogs in the wrong hands can be a recipe for disaster. Trouble is innocent dogs & their owners can wind up being there casualties :(

Totally agree with persephone :)

Personally I would stay as far away from them as you can & avoid this whole situation.

Please don't allow this discourage you from walking your dogs though. Just find alternative routes & places

to do so. Sure this may disrupt your schedule in the beginning but better to stay safe IMO.

As has been said. Walk in a different direction or at a different time of day.

I loathe those extending leads. A few people around here use them usually with snappy, growling, small dogs. If I see someone coming towards me with a dog on an extending lead I cross the street. I haven't seen any large dogs on these leads.

I wonder why it is that the people who use extending leads are those with badly behaved dogs who aggress at any other dog they see.

As has been said. Walk in a different direction or at a different time of day.

I loathe those extending leads. A few people around here use them usually with snappy, growling, small dogs. If I see someone coming towards me with a dog on an extending lead I cross the street. I haven't seen any large dogs on these leads.

I wonder why it is that the people who use extending leads are those with badly behaved dogs who aggress at any other dog they see.

Changing one's walking times and places aren't as easy as it might sound: people work, go to school, live in cul de sacs, etc etc.

The extendable lead problem (and I use the word "problem" on purpose) has been done before and I feel those like cavNrott (and me LOL) are up against the tide. They are a menace in the wrong hands and most of the hands they are in are the wrong hands.

It is a bit like the chicken and the egg question: is a dog badly behaved or is the dog badly behaved be he or she is on an extendable lead and thus able to go off in all directions?

More and more people seem to be using them and so more and more dogs will be out of control. A woman in my area used to walk her Dalmatian on one and the dog could literally run across the road from one footpath to the other. The dog was totally out of control and the owner was obviously brain dead when it came to knowing what to do with a dog.

As for the dogs in the topic, that owner is a numbskull and I wouldn't be surprised if he comes home one day to a very grisly and tragic sight .... unless the dogs are separated while he is out.

An awful situation for you, Michelleva and all I can suggest is that you have a talk to your council ranger. As rescuers know, some rangers can be wonderful, love dogs and want to be as helpful as possible to avoid bad situations ... hopefully you can find one like that.

If he's around at a regular time is it possible to go out without your dogs, and actually speak to him. Let him know you're frightened of his dog and also suggest he use a fixed lead, not an extendable one. I hope he's open to reason, although from what you've described.....maybe not. :(

Guest hankodie

Ugh extendable leads are the worst. I see no purpose in using them, unless you are training recall I guess (even then a long lead would make more sense).

There's a guy I come across occasionally who walks his little dog on one. The dog goes absolutely mental at other dogs and the owner let's it go to the end of the lead and then laughs because he thinks it's funny. Horrible.

I use an extentable leash for my little dog but only in certain situations and with a large amount of caution and care. He sounds like a accident waiting to happen as those leads are not designed for a large pulling weight.

Is it worth reporting it to the council. Even thought the dog is on a lead it doesn't sound like the owner has effective control of it and as has been mentioned it's only a matter of time before the flexi lead breaks or somethign along those lines. Even if a dog is on lead if it is behaving in a menacing manner and the owner is not able to do anything about (and people are concerned for their safety) this usually goes against local laws to do with dogs. Even if the council saw him and had a chat about a more appropriate leash, maybe he would listen (who knows?!). Often times a lot of people just don't know what to do and stick with what they know even though it isn't working.

If he's around at a regular time is it possible to go out without your dogs, and actually speak to him. Let him know you're frightened of his dog and also suggest he use a fixed lead, not an extendable one. I hope he's open to reason, although from what you've described.....maybe not. :(

Good idea :)

Ugh extendable leads are the worst. I see no purpose in using them, unless you are training recall I guess (even then a long lead would make more sense).

You might not see any purpose but I do. They are a valuable tool for me.

;) I used to use them when training both guide and therapy dogs .

perhaps your comment could be put this way 'round?

"I wonder why it is that those with badly behaved dogs who aggress at any other dog they see use extending leads?"

perhaps it is that they have not been taught to effectively understand and manage their dogs , and feel that by using an extanda-lead they are being kind ,giving their dog "freedom" ?

Or perhaps they feel that this way they avoid having to really work at management/control of their dog?

It can be so dangerous, especially if the leads used are ones from the $2 shops ! :(

At the moment in my neighbourhood, there is only one large dog I fear and that is a very large very overweight chocolate female labrador. She is often walked just by a young lad (which I am pretty sure is illegal) who can barely hold her as she strains to get across the street to me and mine :(.

I still suggest that Michelleva tries to enlist the aid of a ranger. People can be very odd (understatement of the year) at the vaguest suggestion they or their dog might be less than perfect :)

The way I read this it's not the lead that is a problem it's the dog. This type of dog (or at least it's behaviour) is the reason the menacing dogs law has been introduced into NSW. The dog may not be actually attacking but is displaying threatening behaviour.

The extending leads can be quite useful but obviously should not be used on a dog with this type of attitude. Also the owner must surely realise that they do not have the control of their dog needed to be able to use such a lead.

My mum's dog was killed by a poorly controlled large breed dog on an extendable lead :( Definitely a good idea to stay away

:eek: How awful for your mum & her pooch :rainbowbridge: Terrifying experience that would stay with you forever.

Very sad indeed :(