My Greyhounds Were Attacked Today :(

HazyWal

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HW I've only just seen this thread today, so so sorry to hear of what you're going through! Sending truckloads of healing and happy vibes to you and your two. Pls take care of yourself too, I hope your hand, foot and ribs are feeling a little better - perhaps a little rescue remedy to share around, a drop for each of you... :grouphug::flower:

She can dig her heels in as much as she likes but it will just mean that the council press charges. Or they should. I imagine that will make it all worse for her. The dogs really need to get slapped with a dangerous dog or menacing dog order too.

Yes it sucks that someone left her gate open but dogs that act in that manner do need to be treated differently.

I hope you and your dogs are feeling better soon.

Her lack of control over her dogs has caused a lot of pain and anguish and I know that you will do everything in your power to make sure that her dogs don't do that to someone else and that she is made to take full responsibility so that any future dogs she owns will not do the same thing.

Yes, her dogs were clearly breaking the law by being loose on the street. HW's dogs were within the law.... muzzled & on leashes.

Full responsibility for the incident goes to to the woman.

Yes, her dogs were clearly breaking the law by being loose on the street. HW's dogs were within the law.... muzzled & on leashes.

And it's so awful that in doing the right thing (HW's greys were muzzled, as required by law) they were totally vulnerable, and unable to defend themselves.

Dogs that are liable to attack innocent (and often defenceless) passers-by should be kept behind locked gates. How hard is it to put a lock on a gate? :mad

And it's so awful that in doing the right thing (HW's greys were muzzled, as required by law) they were totally vulnerable, and unable to defend themselves.

Dogs that are liable to attack innocent (and often defenceless) passers-by should be kept behind locked gates. How hard is it to put a lock on a gate? :mad

Big YES to this... 100% agree :thumbsup:

Just FYI if she sticks on the bills Council won't be able to get involved - that's a civil matter between the two parties.

So if she sticks you'll need to pursue it yourself civilly.

Also, you can report to the police if you want to but they'll just refer it back to Council. Council have more powers than police (placing orders etc)

Pretty poor form that she is now refusing to pay further.

Just FYI if she sticks on the bills Council won't be able to get involved - that's a civil matter between the two parties.

Also, you can report to the police if you want to but they'll just refer it back to Council. Council have more powers than police (placing orders etc)

Thanks Mel exactly what the ranger just told me when she took my statement.

The ranger is there now and will be issuing her with $550 fines per dog and will notify her that an application for a dangerous dog declaration on each dog will be filed. Unfortunately she has 14 days to prove this to be untrue and if there has been no previous attacks the council will revoke it.

What a joke :(

do you need help to pay the ongoing vet costs? I am happy to send some dollars. Do not be ashamed to ask.

Thank you Anne and others who have offered financial help you are all amazing :heart:

My vet on hearing that this woman has refused to pay did not charge me for the visit today. I have a wonderful friend who is a nurse at my vets and will give Maddie any out of hours care she needs so fingers crossed there are no major complications we should be ok.

Really? Down here in Vic the ranger was going to go after vet bills in court for me.

Really? Down here in Vic the ranger was going to go after vet bills in court for me.

Yep I have to contact Gosford Court and file a civil claim.

do you need help to pay the ongoing vet costs? I am happy to send some dollars. Do not be ashamed to ask.

Thank you Anne and others who have offered financial help you are all amazing :heart:

My vet on hearing that this woman has refused to pay did not charge me for the visit today. I have a wonderful friend who is a nurse at my vets and will give Maddie any out of hours care she needs so fingers crossed there are no major complications we should be ok.

How nice of your vet to not charge you since the stupid woman is refusing to pay additional costs, and how lovely of fellow DOLers to offer assistance! :) You guys rock!

HazyWal hope your girl feels better soon!

How really thoughtful of you, Rebanne (and other DOLers too apparently :thumbsup: ). Unfortunately, that just lets the owner of the attacking dogs off the hook. What a miserable piece of work she is turning out to be. Obviously her solicitor is an "ambulance chaser". :mad:mad

HazyWal, tell us where she lives and a posse of us will parade up and down with relevant placades :(. :(.

I'm just wondering if someone else got in her ear about what happened and frightened her into shutting her wallet? It would cost her far more to engage a solicitor on the off chance you pursued this than it would to just cover the vet bills.

I think you should worry about yourself and your dogs and let her stress out about money and the what ifs.

Even though this woman has (predictably) reneged on her agreement to cover all vet bills, the fact that she has already paid the first bill indicates she acknowledges her guilt in the matter.

Surely, irrespective of who pays what, the woman has broken the Council laws in respect of keeping the dogs secured on her property. In addition there are laws about dog attacks of humans or other dogs.

Do I understand correctly that if you take legal action to recover the money paid in vet fees and your medical fees the council will do nothing about this dog attack? The recovery of money is a separate issue to the dogs being at large and attacking and injuring other dogs.

This womans dogs were able to get out of her property and they attacked and caused serious injury to other dogs and injury to a human but the Council will not declare the dogs as menacing or dangerous? What a toothless tiger this Council is.

You don't need this crap when you're suffering shock from the attack, your own injuries and your dog just out of surgery. Since she's thrown down the gauntlet by refusing to pay further bills then I say go for it. Sue her for the money and for pain and suffering.

What I just don't understand is that councils will impound dogs because of what they look like but seem unwilling to take action when there is an issue. I am sure I am not alone in thinking this!!

What I just don't understand is that councils will impound dogs because of what they look like but seem unwilling to take action when there is an issue. I am sure I am not alone in thinking this!!

You certainly aren't :mad:mad .

I might be defaming some good people, but very generally speaking, I think council workers are extremely under-committed and not at all bothered whether they do a good job or not.

From some of the stories told on this forum, it seems to be getting worse.