Crates

aussielover

Thoughts on Dog Crates  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with using dog crates?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only in exceptional situations like illness or injury etc
  2. 2. How long do you think is acceptable to spend in a crate at a time?

• It is never acceptable
    • Less than an hour
    • A few hours
    • Several hours (4+ hrs)
    • The whole day (8-12 hours)
    • At night only
    • All day and all night
  3. 3. How do you use your crate? (can select more than one response)

• I don't have one, I would never use one
    • I don't have one but i'd be willing to use one if a situation arises
    • When I go out of the house for a few hours
    • At night for sleeping
    • When I go to dog shows, trials, other peoples houses etc
    • When I am at work
    • My dog has free access all of the time but it is never shut
    • As a time out for naughty behaviour
    • To train my dog to have down time
    • For housetraining
    • In the car
    • Other- please specify

I've had a few discussions with people about crates and their various uses. There seems to be very mixed feelings about crates.

I came across this article: http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/dog-crate-cage-prison/

which I found quite disturbing, yes it is from PETA so it is very one sided.

Another blog: http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/hate-crates/

Suggests that exercise and training alone can prevent anxious and destructive behaviours.

I can see both sides of the argument (well not the extreme peta view) but I think crating for short periods, so long as the dogs needs are met is ok and even beneficial in a lot of circumstances.

After all, most adult dogs spend the day mainly sleeping anyway. Probably the most my dog does during the day while i'm at work is to move from one side of the bed to the other. I don't really think being crated for 8 hours a day would be that much of a problem for my dog, as long as she got a break somewhere in the middle (I come home at lunch or she gets a dog walker)

In general i'd say all day and all night crated is too much but if they're getting say 3 x 1 hour breaks of hard work (both mental and physical) then I guess it could work. After all many working dogs will be in a kennel or on chain for days on end until there is actually work to do.

As for them not being roomy enough, I have the largest size you can get and its enough to comfortably fit 2 labrador sized dogs. I've had a nap in there with my dog between runs at agility trials and its really quite comfortable.

Personally I only use the crate at the moment for agility trials but I did use it a lot more when she was younger.

I'd like to get other dedicated dogs peoples opinions on them.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just voted for heaps of different uses, because I use it differently at different stages.

I can now trust Nova to be free in the house when I'm out but if I went out at night when he was a younger puppy he was crated for those few hours and also all night.

He would be outside during the day if I wasn't home.

I also put that he has free access all day but it's never shut, as it's out and he can go in it when he wants. But yes I do shut it on occasions.

I don't use them and don't want to but I can see reasons for people to use them, eg. For show dogs, injuries and the like.

I've toilet trained my dogs and previous ones without needing a crate with no issues and they've all been 100%.

I don't agree with crating for long periods of time however just for convenience.

Edited by Dame Aussie

We bought a crate before we got Didi and it was only after we got her that we realised how big she would be so the crate was only big enough for a few weeks but in those weeks I used it at night for sleeping and put her in there for a few hours even if I was home so she got used to occupying herself/didn't get into any trouble while I did stuff around the house. She was toilet trained reliably by the time she out grew it and she would sleep on bed through the whole night so we never bothered buying another one :)

I don't plan to ever use a crate again with her because due to her size any crate big enough for her won't fit in our house but at least I know if she ever needs to be crated at the vet or for injury that she understands the concept. Maybe if I ever got a smaller dog I would use one again.

Edited by Terri S.

Ziggy was crate trained when he first arrived here and I crate train all fosters to sleep in one. He now sleeps on the end of my bed but if I had to go away and he needed to sleep in a safe place, his crate is the safest place for him.

His crate is always open and he has access to it all the time in the lounge room now.. He will often take his bone in there to eat.

Also for longer distance trips in the car (although for short trips, the back seat and a seatbelt suffice).

I also like them for down time and I have used it for feeding when I had a foster here with food guarding issues..

Each to their own but I see them as a very useful tool..

My Bulldogs are crated at night. They go in around 10:30 and get let out at 6ish in the morning. This is because when they slept in my room I wasn't getting any sleep due to them moving, snoring etc. dogs are fine with this arrangement.

I also crate Arnold during the day while we are all at work/school. He got out of our yard a couple of weeks ago and although he was kept safe at a house down the road, I really don't want him to get out again so crate is safest option for him (he isn't usually destructive but will chew things when left inside with no people at home). He goes into the crate at 8am and my daughter gets home at 2:30pm and let's him straight out. Most days my husband goes home at lunch and let's him out for half an hour too. This happens 4 days per week, the other 3 days there is someone home.

All of my dogs spend the majority of their lives inside the house with us. They get massive amounts of attention and play time so I don't think this is causing Arnold any harm. Given he is not a super active breed helps, as I don't think this would work as well with a very active dog.

Mine are crated at night and when no one is home (max couple hrs every few days) when at dog training, trials and shows when we go and visit someones house so they are comfy in there own beds. the rest of the time the crates are open for free access and i often find them snuggled up

eta; they do have one each but they like to snuggle when they can :D

IMG_1961.jpg

Edited by Rainy

I use crates for housetraining. I put pup in the crate for 10-15 minutes if he/she didn't oblige when we took a trip outside. After 10-15 minutes we would go outside and try again.

My dogs also eat in their crates. I always feed pups in their crate so they learn that when they go in there good things happen. My dogs are seniors now and still run into their crates when they see me preparing their dinner. They also occasionally go into their crates for a short nap or to get some peace when my grandchildren are visiting. The crate doors are never closed.

I've never left a dog in a crate for more than 4 hours. Even then this would only take place when they were pups and I wanted to ensure their safety.

My dogs sleep inside in their crates in winter, outside in summer but I use them for a variety of reason. Feeding, travelling, training and recovery.

I had never used a crate before I got these two but will use them from now on regardless of what or how many dogs I have.

I hate crates when they are used routinely. To me they are totally appropriate to use during training, for restraining young pups or for illness and injury or when there is no other option for a short term solution.

I hate the thought that as time goes by we become more accepting of crating dogs for extended periods.

Edited by ~Anne~

I use mine all the time for shows/house training/when we travel/keeping the dogs separated when someone is in season or injured etc.

I don't believe dogs should be locked in them all day however a few hours here and there, I see no issues.

Edited by Bjelkier

Little bit hard to answer actually. I ticked 4+ hours, door always open, handy for house training. Obviously, the door is shut for the house training and/or confinement but on the whole doors are open at all times. It does really depend, in my house, what is happening with what dog and for what reason. But I have two wire crates set up permanently with doors open and dogs free to come and go as they please.

There's certainly a strong anti "cage" sentiment out there especially, but not only among the rabid animal rights fringe. Like anything else, crates can be used inappropriately, but it would be nice if they bothered to ask the dogs ... especially the performance dogs, who are able to spend a relaxed day at trials, napping away in comfort and safety, or the dogs who do a lot of travelling, snoozing happily and safely in their crates. Or my 5 year old BC boy, who hasn't had a door on his airline crate beside my bed for several years, but who still puts himself to bed there every night (unless the 12 year old "bitch" decides she wants it, and makes him get out, as she did the other night :rofl: .

I love my crates for staying in dog friendly/dogs inside accommodation, which we do quite often. Even in totally new places, once the dogs see their crates go inside, they are relaxed and happy. It means I don't have to worry what they're up to when I'm asleep or showering.

I find it quite fascinating how dogs (who are not supposed to be good at generalising) quickly generalise the 'den' notion of crates - regradless of the type or even size of the crate - hard plastic, different types of soft, wire ... . I've had each of my BCs cuddle up in their Cavalier friend's soft crate (when she hasn't been in it, and they haven't been in their own set-up at a trial) :laugh: .

It is raining here today and we are having a lazy day in, dogs have been asleep in their crates (door open) since about 8am, it is now 315pm here, they will start stirring at about 430pm when they think they should get dinner.

If I had the door closed, not sure how it would be any different?

I only use my crate for trialling and other events like workshops etc. At home it is in my bedroom with the door open and my dog will often sleep in it on her own will. I think crates are great and so useful but I don't think I would ever just keep my dog crated for hours and hours without breaks.

I use them for shows, for toilet training at night and I also feed my greedy Whippet in one so he doesn't harass anyone else at mealtimes.

At times I have stayed in acccommodation that has only allowed dogs inside crated and then they are crated too.

I never really knew about the notion of crate training until I got Cleo in 2011. Then, I trained her to go in it from 6 months of age (didn't close it at home, only at shows) and now I've discovered it's a very useful tool. When she was desexed, it was easy to keep her calm and confined while she recovered, as she loved being in there. She was also the most relaxed dog in the vet surgery pen area when I visited her during her illness last year - all the other dogs were barking and jumping around, she just laid there wagging her tail.

Now, with my 6mo puppy I can't get her OUT of the crate, I literally have to bribe her out when I take her out to pee before bed :laugh:

I also like to think that in an emergency, if we need to leave home - we can just take the crate and the dogs have their "safe" place.

I only ever use it for sleeping, recuperation, shows/trials and housetraining. The only time they go in there in the day is if I bring them inside for a pig ear each, they go to their crates because a certain dog eats a lot faster than the puppy. Or if Nala runs inside and starts playing with her toys...

My dogs crates are their beds - they have thick mattresses and fleece blankets in there, and another blanket draped over the crates to give them a den atmosphere. They sleep in them with the door closed overnight (because I'm a bit paranoid about fire - I like to know I can find them in the dark in an emergency), but they also spend lots of time in them during the day with the door open, snoozing and hanging out.

ETA The crates have also been very useful when I've had to evacuate during floods - campgrounds, friends garages etc. The dogs had to be shut in them for more time than usual, but it kept them safe and didn't worry them much.

Edited by Gallomph

I only use them for travelling, at events etc, I would use for injury but haven't yet. I also use them for visiting dogs to sleep in until I know they are ok unsupervised in the house, and for very young puppies, but I don't often have either

Edited by Diva