Being Asked For A Pet Related Donation

110 members have voted

1. 1. How would you react being asked for a pet related donation while shopping?

• Politely decline or accept
    • Lecture on why I do/do not support the given charity
    • Accept or decline, but find somewhere else to shop
    • Decline or accept with annoyance
    • Other

Petbarn got me last time I was there, but it was for the guide dogs. I was about to decline as I usually would, then realised I do actually think it's a good cause so I caved :) I would definitely rather not be put on the spot though.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't take much to politely decline - never a need to be rude about it. Also, it's best to bear in mind that those doing the spruiking are not members of the organisation, for example, those collecting for the RSPCA are like call centre employees, they don't belong to the organisation, they are just employed to collect donations. Petbarn collect for lots of organisations including local ones.

If you don't want to donate to anyone, it is very easy to say, "No, thank you", and keep walking.

I don't mind it in a store that I don't frequent very often like a clothing store.

I usually politely decline, I prefer to research where my donations go to and being put on the spot doesn't allow me to do that

However I won't be very happy if my pet store starts doing it, I'm usually there once a week to stock up on meat and don't particularly want to be harassed for donations on a regular basis

Being asked if I want or have a loyalty/rewards card at every single place is sooo much more annoying :laugh:

But those rude pushy ones who corner me in the shopping centre stress me badly. They have this method like rounding up sheep. I hate it. :(

I think there needs to be an option other than the lecture one. Why not have an option: Decline and politely explain why.

Not everything needs to be confrontation. :(

I've done this at my local Petbarn. I was asked if I'd like to donate and when I said no everyone within earshot looked at me so I explained that I don't support the RSPCA as I don't agree with how they do many things. Not to mention that they have plenty of money and there are other groups that do a better job and need the money more.

Well done :thumbsup:

............................ (Which I HAVE to ask for, am rated on, mystery shopped, warned if my overall total is too low etc)...................

This is just wrong - the "Do you care about the environment" crowd outside the shopping centre are bad enough (I usually smile politely and say "No I dont", stops them long enough for me to flee - I understand a business expecting it's employees to "upsell" their own goods but soliciting donations is over the line IMO.

I don't mind a donation box on the counter - although I rarely put anything in them - I make a regular auto-donation to my favourite charity which I set up myself, without any assistance from a backpacker.

I am polite in my decline. I give money if and when I feel like it/want to.

I do realise that it is the persons job so that is why I am polite when I decline. However should someone push me or roll their eyes at me, then yes, I would tell them exactly what I thought of them/go elsewhere.

I have once or twice said, no I do not like their values, when asked why not as I am known as an animal person locally.

If I say no once and I am pushed I get very snappy very quickly, I only say no (or yes) once!

This... couldn't have said it better.

I say no on principle to solicitations. I choose when and who I donate to and it is often not the charities being spruiked....particularly not the RSPCA ....

I will politely decline but is does make me very uncomfortable. Hard sell and you may not see me back.

The charity hard sell does annoy and trouble me. I know some elderly pensioners who donate way more than they can actually afford. That is just taking advantage.

Edited by espinay2

I've never been asked directly in a pet store for a donation to an animal charity. If I were, I'd say we make annual donations to AWL Qld & RSPCA Qld. Though that's really no one else's business so I may say we already make direct donations & leave it at that.

Thanks for so many honest answers guys! It's an interesting POV from the side I'm usually standing on. I agree, it's not great to be pushed into it, and the only point where I myself get rude in that situation is when somebody insists after I've politely declined.

Don't even get my started on loyalty cards... :p

I'm wary of donating to animal charities, particularly RSPCA/PETA/Animals Australia...definitely not going near them. I didn't realise Petbarn was connected to RSPCA frown.gif I like that store, sells cheap Advance!! I just feel awkward, usually I go in for something specific and we don't have time or money to be donating to every shop that asks for it. Even Cotton On Body asks if you want to buy a band/water bottle/etc for their charity. I'll stick to spending my money at local shops and events/fundraisers (I live in a small farming town that's begging for a good year after years of bad years!)

Haven't been pushed into donating, golly that would be so rude! I'd be getting out of there so fast. eek1.gif

A polite decline is sufficient - I don't why people feel they need to explain why. Shopping anywhere is fraught with annoyances these days - especially big shopping centres where you get ambushed everywhere. I particularly hate those children's charity stands where they dress up in bright cloaks and spread out so you almost have to shove them aside to get past. I just want to go about my business without being hassled for goodness sakes! The only ones I give money to is local rescue organisations who set up at the local shops - they are not in your face about it and I prefer to support the little guys.

The latest annoyance was at Big W - going through the self serve and being approached by an idle staff member and asked to donate to something. Is that what Big W pays their staff to do - how about actually assisting the customer?

What kind of person would argue their point of view? Weird. I would politely accept or decline and get on with my day, rather than submit the poor volunteer/show assistant to a rant. Some people need more to do with their time!

I always decline if approached direct, in person, by mail or phone.......I have my favourite charities............however I do feel guilty when dashing past fundraisers in public as I know they are probably trying to earn a living............good on them for doing it, I couldn't!!

I would politely decline unless pushed for a donation or made to feel guilty about it.

Asking once is acceptable however, it is rude to continue to push or insinuate someone is doing the wrong thing if they decline.

The only time I've been asked to donate in-store was at my local Petbarn at Christmas. They were collecting for Cat Haven and RSPCA. I donated to Cat Haven on Casper's behalf and when I was in the store again two weeks later, I donated to the RSPCA on Bella's behalf. I got Bella from the RSPCA and I thought it only fitting. I figured it was the time of year when people dump their pets before going on holidays and/or buy new puppies and kittens so both places would be bursting at the seams.

When I see charity kiosks at a shopping centre, I walk past fast saying I don't have time to stop unless it's one I wish to donate to. I hate being bugged.

Nobody should ever be made to feel guilty for not donating.

Its the salespersons job to ask, so no lecture, the ones that bother me are the groups who want you to make a monthly donation -- and expect your bank details to get it, thats beyond rude. and gets a quick NO, On the other hand a clothing chain recently asked for 2$ to buy school uniforms for less advantaged kids, that was ok. Petbarn asked for a donation to train guide dogs that was ok too, didnt say an amount. salesperson was likely told to ask.

I wont be rude to someone who asks but personally I think its pretty poor form for a business to expect an employee to ask. Im good with a donation box but actually asking me to donate - not a chance and Id avoid the place in future.