Cat Saves Child From Dog Attack

Aidan3

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cats are one of the few species that don't exhibit contra-freeloading.

(Although to be fair, that's probably got more to do with the way we test it than any lazy, entitled attitudes that cats may have).

Cat was a little bit lucky too. If she had done that to either of my dogs they wouldn't have run away, they would have gone her. Not that my dogs would have attacked a child in the first place.

Is it true the dog has been put down?

Hope so - this is a very dangerous dog. Makes me wonder what the rest of the litter's temperaments are like too ...

Not yet.

If you read the article where the cat is invited to bowl a ball at a Sports Match on 20 May, that is also around the time the dog will be pts.

The 10 days of rabies involment is up then.

Found a local article from the city involved....

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/Officials-explain-why-dog-cant-live-after-attacking-boy-259470101.html

Edited by VizslaMomma

Looking at the video, I'd say the cat took its cue from the mother, who was rushing toward her son. I think both the dog owner (neighbour) and the mother were negligent. The former for letting the dog get out while backing his car out of his driveway and the latter for letting a four-year old child play so close to a road where he could have been hit by a car let alone attacked by a stray dog. Too many young children have been killed be people backing cars out of driveways.

My link

Looking at the video, I'd say the cat took its cue from the mother, who was rushing toward her son. I think both the dog owner (neighbour) and the mother were negligent. The former for letting the dog get out while backing his car out of his driveway and the latter for letting a four-year old child play so close to a road where he could have been hit by a car let alone attacked by a stray dog. Too many young children have been killed be people backing cars out of driveways.

My link

You're not serious are you?!

Like everyone says, amazing footage. Frightful dog. Amazing cat.

Has anyone ever tried to breed cats to be protective? If it could be done, I'd think they resulting animals would be popular.

I've met nasty cats that attack people and dogs . . . but it didn't seem like they were doing it out of loyalty. Maybe that's cause I was being attacked.

btw., in California, it is the law that any dog that is reported as having broken skin must be put in quarantine for 10 days to ensure that it is not rabid.

Edited by sandgrubber

Wow the kid shouldn't be playing in his own yard with mum metres away? You could see the water hose spray, the mum was literally metres away and reacted immediately so her child was fully supervised. Most kids are inside on ipads, ipods, iphones or anything other than bikes my boys spent the weekend playing forts under the marshmallow weed plants with home made wooden guns while we were working doing fencing. I asked both of my boys and one is 4 what they preferred doing and the hand made guns and weed forts won out by a mile. Any parent and child should be safe in their own front or back yard it is up to us dog owners to maintain effective control over our animals at all times, the responsibility lies with those in control of that dog...full stop. We need to stop tring to find blame in the innocent victims and stand up and take responsibility for our own reactions, that child or parent was in no way shape or form negligent

Like everyone says, amazing footage. Frightful dog. Amazing cat.

Has anyone ever tried to breed cats to be protective? If it could be done, I'd think they resulting animals would be popular.

I've met nasty cats that attack people and dogs . . . but it didn't seem like they were doing it out of loyalty. Maybe that's cause I was being attacked.

btw., in California, it is the law that any dog that is reported as having broken skin must be put in quarantine for 10 days to ensure that it is not rabid.

I know it's slightly off-topic.

How could that be done? Interesting concept.

I wonder if a feral kitten hand raised might work?

The family were lucky that the cat tried AND was successful in protecting the lad.

Good moggie.

:thumbsup:

I have had 2 cats who would growl seriously if they heard something suspicious at night , whether a person , dog or another cat . It was handy in teh city - dog would be sound asleep - cat would be sniffing under the door and growling, growling.......and here in teh bush, I always knew if a dog was not where it was supposed to be, as Mr W would growl and hackle ....

Just read that article about getting the cat to pitch the opening ball at a baseball game. :eek:

No way in hell I would be taking a cat to a field with thousands of screaming people about. You would want to be wearing full body armour and shoulder length gauntlets I reckon to put a cat in that sort of situation :laugh:

Otherwise, you might find yourself with a cat just like Pinky "a really loving cat"

:rofl: :laugh:

Edited by j

Just read that article about getting the cat to pitch the opening ball at a baseball game. :eek:

No way in hell I would be taking a cat to a field with thousands of screaming people about. You would want to be wearing full body armour and shoulder length gauntlets I reckon to put a cat in that sort of situation :laugh:

Otherwise, you might find yourself with a cat just like Pinky "a really loving cat"

:rofl: :laugh:

I did think only in America at that invitation!