When You Stay In Dog Friendly Accommodation

sheena

When staying in dog friendly accomodation  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow your dogs on the beds

• Always
    • Sometimes
    • Never

Please be honest here :) The accommodation I am talking about is where you are allowed your pet inside, but not on the furniture or beds. I don't allow mine on the beds etc, but I have been away with people & they tell me the next day how they let their dog sleep on their bed, even though it was against the rules of the hosts. One of my dreams, which will never be, is to build a little cabin on my farm & let it out as "dog friendly accommodation" But the thing that puts me off doing it (besides lack of funds) is that I may not be able to trust people not to have their dogs on the beds etc & I would have to wash all the doonas etc after each visit. :(

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please be honest here :) The accommodation I am talking about is where you are allowed your pet inside, but not on the furniture or beds. I don't allow mine on the beds etc, but I have been away with people & they tell me the next day how they let their dog sleep on their bed, even though it was against the rules of the hosts. One of my dreams, which will never be, is to build a little cabin on my farm & let it out as "dog friendly accommodation" But the thing that puts me off doing it (besides lack of funds) is that I may not be able to trust people not to have their dogs on the beds etc & I would have to wash all the doonas etc after each visit. :(

We do Sheena but only in the morning when we wake up and only if we call her up. The place we stayed at in Bright last week didn't have any rules about the furniture or the bed for dogs. I suppose it depends on the owners and to a certain extent the dog owner too, Abby is small, clean and has no fleas etc. so I don't see her as a problem. I would hate to stay in fig friendky accommodation that is dirty or flea ridden and I have read some posts where that was the case. :eek:

LOL, no you would not be able to trust people to honour your rules and requests. I think if I wanted to stay in dog friendly accommodation and wanted my dog on the bed or furniture, I would take my own throws and covers to protect the bed and furniture. People can treat holiday and rental accommodations pretty carelessly.

No I wouldn't. Even though greyhounds have no odour so I could probably get away with it I still wouldn't.

I would just make sure I could have them on the lounge/bed before I booked and I'd take my own doona anyway.

If the rules say no then I wouldn't. All the dog friendly places I've stayed at however don't have a rule about it and provide covers for the furniture, which I appreciate. Though at the last place I stayed I didn't let her on the bed anyway just because it was too high and I was worried about her jumping off in the middle of the night. To be honest if a place had really strict rules about what my dog can or cannot do I simply wouldn't book the place.

i trust my dogs 100% but if the rules say no then no it is & i will crate them inside.

I enjoy the fact they can be inside & feel there is no excuse to not follow the rules .

I stayed recently at a very dog friendly place & the people who blatantly abused the rules was disgusting

Sorry, what's a dog got to do with it. When a guest leaves ALL bedding should be changed.

No, I do not allow dogs on other peoples beds.

So what you are telling me is all places wash the blankets & the doonas (not just the covers) coverlettes & the entire pillow every time they change guests.......I doubt that :eek: The places I have staid that have washing on the lines...I only ever see sheets & towels.

It would depend on the rules, if they are allowed I would let them , if not I wouldn't. But usually take a plastic backed picnic rug or two if I am going anywhere just in case. If I was paying to rent a place that supplied bedding though, I would expect the doona to have been washed/cleaned between other guests whether they had dogs or not.

My dogs are not allowed on the furniture anyways, so no we don't allow it if we stay anywhere. My in-laws on the other hand do, they say that the owners would expect it and everyone else that would normally allows their dogs on the furniture (they think we're very mean that we don't allow it) would do it also.

Personally I think it's very rude, I sort of think it's like smoking in a place that doesn't allow smoking - but that's just me

I agree - the dog has nothing to do with it. All bedding should be changed between guests. I stayed at a dog friendly B and B at Port Elliot last February where I'm sure the sheets on all the beds hadn't been changed. eek1.gif Complained bitterly. How people can do that and charge what they do I'll never know. icon_smile_mad.gif

As to dogs on beds - I ensure they sleep on their own blankets on beds and cover all the furniture. As otherwise I spend the weekend telling Sarah in particular to get off the lounge. It makes for a lot less stressful weekend for me. I'm away for the long weekend at the moment and I bought one bag for me - the boot was full of the westies gear - blankets, bowls, beds, food, meds...

ETA sorry I wasn't clear - I don't book pet friendly accomodation which doesn't allow dogs inside or specifies a whole raft of rules upfront. I take my business elsewhere and have never not had the westies invited back. I'm very very particular when I'm in other peoples houses - probably more so than I am at home.

Edited by westiemum

Oh and while we're at it - places that 'spring' stuff on you after you've booked and arrived are lousy. Last night I arrived in the cold Clare Valley to a dark cold cottage - not even a porch light. Oh well I thought - quickly get the fire going to make it cosy. No wood. The owners don't advertise, put in their t's and c's, on their website or in their pre-booking emails that they now charge for wood which was previously included and you have to ask and pay extra for it or it's not there. I wouldn't have have minded so much if I'd known up front. Similarly arrived to a written threat of a pet cleaning charge and a whole raft of pet rules which were not up front. So while I'm being my usual careful self - I still think it's pretty lousy to spring stuff like this on people once they arrive and not be up-front about it. icon_smile_mad.gif Needless to say I won't be back.

Edited by westiemum

Pillow covers, sheets, towels and doona covers of course have to be washed between visitors, not so much the actual pillows and doonas. I know a few people that have run b&bs or motels and quite often the washing is outsourced, I haven't seen or heard of doonas and pillows being included in this.

We're off to the Best Friend Holiday Retreat next week and they actually charge extra for linen or you can supply it yourself to save the extra fee. They don't have any rules around not having dogs on the furniture, I suppose it doesn't matter as much if you're using your own linen.

Pillow covers, sheets, towels and doona covers of course have to be washed between visitors, not so much the actual pillows and doonas. I know a few people that have run b&bs or motels and quite often the washing is outsourced, I haven't seen or heard of doonas and pillows being included in this.

We're off to the Best Friend Holiday Retreat next week and they actually charge extra for linen or you can supply it yourself to save the extra fee. They don't have any rules around not having dogs on the furniture, I suppose it doesn't matter as much if you're using your own linen.

Yes...I can understand the bed linen & doona covers but the poster before included ALL bedding. As I said before, I have never been to any accommodation where they have had the actual doonas on the clothes line. I did think about the idea that people supply their own bed stuff.

Yuck...fancy being expected to sleep in someone else's sheets....you wouldn't know what might have gone on before you :laugh:

I take my own doona mostly for this very reason.

Us too - all our own bedding - partly because - I only like sleeping in my own bedding but also because I sleep better knowing exactly where the dog is (on my feet) in a strange environment and I can tell if he's getting restless / needs a pee

I take a swag with me to put on top of beds in rural accomodation - like caravan park cabins.

I got upgraded last time - to a really nice caravan, because there was a large family staying in the cabin that adjoined their usual dog friendly one - ie about 15 people in a 1 bed and 1 ensuite cabin. WTF.

So I got a solo cabin. They forgot to tell me it cost extra. I asked about dog in the cabin and they got evasive and said dogs not allowed in those cabins but they weren't going to be checking - I'd stayed there before - so they know I don't trash the cabins.

There were lots of signs inside the cabin about no smoking and no dogs because of health regulations.

They'd only made up one bed, the other one was covered in dust and stuff. I put the swag on top of the one they had made up, and I set the dog crate up on the verandah. she spent some time in it but I brought her inside so everyone could get some sleep. I'm pretty sure if I left her out in it she would have barked at everything that moved.

And sometimes she sleeps on the swag on the bed with me, but I'd rather set the crate up inside the cabin and have her sleep in that.

Didn't get any complaints from the caravan park tho.

There's another one in the same state - that doesn't ahve any signs about no dogs and health regulations.

I suspect it's not a health regulation - because you can't ban guide dogs etc.

PS the most menky rooms have not been made that way by dogs.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Dog friendly accommodation to me says yes :-) if asked I would put a sheet down but my guys sleep at the end of our bed if it wasn't dog friendly I wouldn't use the establishment .

Maybe have a quilt cover on that you could air out , wash depends how busy you are as to how often you would need to wash .