Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the difference between my Whippet coursing a hare or a rabbit ( which I allow her to do ) and catching them and a race dog doing the same ? (apart from the legalities with the race dogs)

Ummmmm, you are not tying up a defenseless rabbit and allowing it to be torn apart alive :mad

I've had to turn it off after watching a baby possum and then a tiny pink piglet ripped apart. Cackling like a hyena at the tiny baby ringtail was strapped up. These cruel, fat old men and their lust for the money.

It was disgusting, I'm sick to the pits of my stomach. One animal - a possum - went around the track 26 times, each time getting a bit more destroyed. A rabbit, attacked by numerous dogs - but still alive ...

The cruelty involved will keep me awake. So many people - high profile - were involved and they were nothing but callous scum.

There is no justification for this except to line your pockets.

I don't live bait my Greys but I know they were all broken in with live kills. I don't know a trainer that doesn't use rabbits.

What's the difference between my Whippet coursing a hare or a rabbit ( which I allow her to do ) and catching them and a race dog doing the same ? (apart from the legalities with the race dogs)

Appalling :mad

I don't live bait my Greys but I know they were all broken in with live kills. I don't know a trainer that doesn't use rabbits.

Really appalling. I'm speechless.

Well, I know a trainer who doesn't use rabbits or any other living creature. Neighbour who lived next door for many years & who bred, owned and trained his racing greyhounds. Successfully, too, at least one became a State sprint champion. A decent, intelligent man who knew that his dogs could be trained to run following a lure, not a live animal. The point is the training is being done to run races .... & it's not necessary to use living creatures as lures so that they can do so at a high standard.

He put great emphasis on socializing his pups/dogs because he believed that his greys would be retired to good pet homes.... which he took the responsibility of finding. So his dogs were socialized with small children... and even with our small breed dogs (who loved those greys). He won considerable prize money with his greys...& he'd donate a portion to the rehoming of racing greyhounds.

Having seen how this man responsibly managed & trained his greyhounds, I had no trouble with agreeing when, from a separate source, I was asked to provide our small dog in the testing of greys in the GAP rehoming program. She had to trot, then run behind, alongside, and in front of the greys. With all the magnificent greys she 'tested', every one was calm & sensible with her..... showing no interest in chasing the little furry, living dog. For her part, she already adored well raised greyhounds ... & the only time she was distressed was when the 'tested' greyhound got into another car to got home!

Edited by mita

Hardly surprising.

Hardly surprising.

Don't worry Wreckit only dabbled in racegreys for a couple of minutes with a few freebies she was given. Hardly the font of all knowledge of racing practices.

Hardly surprising.

Don't worry Wreckit only dabbled in racegreys for a couple of minutes with a few freebies she was given. Hardly the font of all knowledge of racing practices.

Yes, but this kind of 'stuff' goes into the public arena... with no balance of how decent trainers/owners work. I'm just as appalled by the lack of emphasis on best practice.

A huge difference. Obviously you dont understand what they actually do in live baiting then. I didn't. Perhaps you should have watched the program, you can still catch it on iView.

I worked in the greyhound industry as a professional lure driver and my "boss" the track supervisor told me he was often approached to put a live rabbit on the lure, which he always refused. I'd heard whispers that it still existed but I didn't really imagine how horrific it was. I've driven private trials for Darren McDonald, he was always so quiet and polite to me. I was shocked to watch the program last night, the cruelty and heartlessness of those people. I think alot of people will go down with this, and I hope they do.

Those that think the vast majority aren't doing it are naïve, there's just not a lot getting caught doing it. It's done at home kennels, private trials and break in tracks. The powers that be jump up and down and shout that they will do this that and the other with the culprits but not a lot happens. The odd trainer is made an example of, there will be the usual sense of outrage portrayed by the racing authorities, this will all blow over as normally happens for a few years and then we'll see the next RSPCA and whistle blower footage appear.

It's done to get that bit extra out of a dog. There's not a lot of reason for a Grey to chase a piece of synthetic on a stick around in a circle. They are given live kills that squeal to heighten prey drive. Do people not realise that the track lure emits a pitch that mimics an animal in distress ?

Yep, people with Greys will be getting some funny looks and probably a few choice words, but they aren't taking a hit for a few, the industry is rife with it.

If you know a trainer with racing Greys, there's a very good chance you know someone who does.

For the record, I have owner/trained race winners without the use of banned substances, needling dogs, cruelty or the use of anything live so obviously it can be done but in an industry where race careers are so short and results are required to be instant, people will do whatever it takes at whatever cost to the animal. I believe they see it as a calculated risk, for a proven return on their investment.

Edited by WreckitWhippet

Some of the men interviewed with their vacuous expressions at a few questions, missing teeth and trackie dacks looked like hillbillies - duelling banjos not out of place there. I wasn't surprised at the use of rabbits and possums (even kittens I had heard but turned it off so don't know if that was shown), it was the delight they seemed to take while torturing small animals - joking around like imbeciles.

Edited by Ripley

Some of the men interviewed with their vacuous expressions at a few questions, missing teeth and trackie dacks looked like hillbillies - duelling banjos not out of place there. I wasn't surprised at the use of rabbits and possums (even kittens I had heard but turned it off so don't know if that was shown), it was the delight they seemed to take while torturing small animals - joking around like imbeciles.

Yes, they came across as morally bankrupt and without even a shred of compassion. There is no doubt that what they were doing was torture involving a HUGE amount of suffering for the poor animals. It is totally unacceptable and needless with all the electronics available today that can replicate sounds.

I found the glee with which the torture was done, very disturbing - I've woken constantly during the night with the images running around my head and I'm sure I will for a long time. I watched the show knowing that would be the result but was not prepared to ignore it.

I'm just disgusted with the monsters shown on the program and was not at all convinced that any of the officials involved actually gave a crap about it.

Where there is money, there is corruption.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Some of the men interviewed ... missing teeth and trackie dacks looked like hillbillies ....

Yes and some of the perpetrators were at "glittering" social functions wearing three-piece suits. Yes some with less intelligence did much (not all) of the dirty work: there is no point making them the scapegoats: the thrust of the prosecutions will hopefully be at the money end.

4Corners will be repeated at 10.00am this morning (Tuesday).