Four Corners: Greyhound Racing: Live Baiting Revelations

Boronia

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I watched that show last night and it was absolutely appalling. I would have no qualms if they snapped the rabbit's neck and then put it on the lure. But to stand there and permit your dogs to slowly savage a terrified animal to death is barbaric.

I don't know how they aren't getting slapped with anything for strapping a possum to the lure since they are a native animal. It's not like there isn't video evidence.

Sadly it seems the more money that is involved, the less scrupulous individuals are. Money is the only thing these people understand and that's about really the only way you can make them hurt.

Just the tip of the iceberg. The practice has been common knowledge for years and condoned by the money makers.

I wish they had spoken more of what happens when greyhounds don't make the grade as racers, but that's another story.

When it opened with the woman with 70 greyhounds as "pets", I knew we were going to be told a bunch of lies by the trainers/owners. The greyhound industry is the biggest puppy farm in the country.

Sick, cruel people. I hope they do enforce the two years in jail, but won't hold my breath.

Nothing will happen, a bit of noise in the right direction, the odd one shown up to save the others, money is the only thing that matters. :mad

I hope something will happen. They still have to try though and I applaud the people who had the courage to investigate this. I'm sure the GRV knew about it, or certainly individuals in the GRV knew. Now that it's been exposed they're all huffing and puffing about how they have zero tolerance. :mad

I watched most of it and at some stage one guy had a live rabbit on a string and he was pulling it by hand, like a tug toy.

He got a dog out and the dog kinda jumped around interested but my only thought was - that dog is pathetic!

My dogs that are not grehounds and supposed to have a lot less prey drive. They would be a lot keener on chasing a polar fleece tug!!

So my overal thought was - do these greayhounds have enough prey drive to be sucessful? Or have they been bred for structure taht gives maximum speed but breeders forgotten the temperament they menat to have and the natural prey drive? And now they have to do all these idiotic things just to bring out the extra prey drive?

I remember going to fun days of lure coursing at Erskine Park. I stopped going as Divani would dislocate my back and shoulders in the queue to chase a PLASTIC BAG! She would nearly kill herself trying to get it when on cousre. And thats a dobermann that has never been trained to do this! She was a show dog!

Another image I can't get out of my head is the little girl at the training track watching the animals die. Who in their right mind would think this would be acceptable, and what sort of messages do the children get who are taken along to watch the cruelty?

Even if only small things happen to these people, now the general public knows what goes on and surely that should deter those who weren't caught on camera (and there would be many). It is up to those who engage in any sort of greyhound activity on the track to make it totally unacceptable.

I watched most of it and at some stage one guy had a live rabbit on a string and he was pulling it by hand, like a tug toy.

He got a dog out and the dog kinda jumped around interested but my only thought was - that dog is pathetic!

My dogs that are not grehounds and supposed to have a lot less prey drive. They would be a lot keener on chasing a polar fleece tug!!

So my overal thought was - do these greayhounds have enough prey drive to be sucessful? Or have they been bred for structure taht gives maximum speed but breeders forgotten the temperament they menat to have and the natural prey drive? And now they have to do all these idiotic things just to bring out the extra prey drive?

I remember going to fun days of lure coursing at Erskine Park. I stopped going as Divani would dislocate my back and shoulders in the queue to chase a PLASTIC BAG! She would nearly kill herself trying to get it when on cousre. And thats a dobermann that has never been trained to do this! She was a show dog!

That appeared to be a case of trying to create drive where there was none, generally speaking, prey drive is definitely not lacking in the racing bred dogs.

I've assessed dogs who were so drivey that they bayed and carried on for hours after the small dog was taken away and the testing itself had to be done from behind a gate because it was obvious from the outset that their behaviour was going to be almost impossible to control. I would love it if the greys I got were less drivey because often, they're so driven that they'll chase and kill small dogs if given a chance.

The issue is that with all the prey drive in the world, a slow dog is still a slow dog. Being keen on the lure doesn't make a badly bred grey into anything else but a lot of trainers believe it does.

Just the tip of the iceberg. The practice has been common knowledge for years and condoned by the money makers.

I wish they had spoken more of what happens when greyhounds don't make the grade as racers, but that's another story.

When it opened with the woman with 70 greyhounds as "pets", I knew we were going to be told a bunch of lies by the trainers/owners. The greyhound industry is the biggest puppy farm in the country.

Sick, cruel people. I hope they do enforce the two years in jail, but won't hold my breath.

The ABC did do a story last year on greyhound wastage, people were outraged at the death of thousands of greyhounds for about 5 minutes and then it was business as usual :shrug:

Some of the men interviewed with their vacuous expressions at a few questions, missing teeth and trackie dacks looked like hillbillies - duelling banjos not out of place there. I wasn't surprised at the use of rabbits and possums (even kittens I had heard but turned it off so don't know if that was shown), it was the delight they seemed to take while torturing small animals - joking around like imbeciles.

Yes... as I said in my post, our neighbour who represented best practices was a decent & intelligent man. His day job was as public servant.

Nobody's yet answered my question why best practices, which I witnessed, do not get presented in the public arena. The public is left with the notion that these pathetic excuses for human beings are the only ones.

It's not a case of who's in the majority or minority. It's a case of expectations of what must be regulated as the norm in greyhound racing....i.e. best practices. And examples also presented to the public so they know that decency & intelligence can (& must) exist in greyhound racing. Dispelling the notions that cruelty is required for an owner/trainer & his greys to be successful.

If steps aren't taken to be proactive, then the public can hardly be blamed for joining in the chorus of those who want greyhound racing banned.

Edited by mita

Some of the men interviewed with their vacuous expressions at a few questions, missing teeth and trackie dacks looked like hillbillies - duelling banjos not out of place there. I wasn't surprised at the use of rabbits and possums (even kittens I had heard but turned it off so don't know if that was shown), it was the delight they seemed to take while torturing small animals - joking around like imbeciles.

Yes... as I said in my post, our neighbour who represented best practices was a decent & intelligent man. His day job was as public servant.

Nobody's yet answered my question why best practices, which I witnessed, do not get presented in the public arena. The public is left with the notion that these pathetic excuses for human beings are the only ones.

It's not a case of who's in the majority or minority. It's a case of expectations of what must be regulated as the norm in greyhound racing....i.e. best practices. And examples also presented to the public so they know that decency & intelligence can (& must) exist in greyhound racing. Dispelling the notions that cruelty is required for an owner/trainer & his greys to be successful.

If steps aren't taken to be proactive, then the public can hardly be blamed for joining in the chorus of those who want greyhound racing banned.

Because it's the media. Just look at what the same program did with Indonesian Abattoirs. They didn't mention that they were showing very few and the vast majority are actually at a world class standard.

What they show is disgusting and very wrong, but it won't do any good painting everyone with the same brush.

I have a neighbour who used to race, and he told me years ago it still happens, he saw it alot he said. :mad

There is no reason these people could not be prosecuted, they have plain and simple evidence of cruelty, but i wonder how many will actually get bans and fines in reality.

Edited by juice

Even if it is the minority, the fact that the industry doesn't seem to be very proactive or vocal (from an outsider's perspective) in stamping out this despicable behaviour makes them look bad.

And then the question is raised as to whether it is the minority? I mean no one knows what is really going on behind closed doors.

I'm just as appalled by the lack of emphasis on best practice.

Best practice = how little can we do but still make lots of $$$$

I don't believe anything will happen. There will be a bit of noise, some "show trials" and then it will be back to normal. The only way the cruelty will stop is if the sport was banned entirely. And that isn't going to happen (although it should).

You can't tell me that any sort of regulatory body or the RSPCA doesn't know fully that these practices are going on.

They could have been stopped at any time in the past decades.

I'm just as appalled by the lack of emphasis on best practice.

Best practice = how little can we do but still make lots of $$$$

I don't believe anything will happen. There will be a bit of noise, some "show trials" and then it will be back to normal. The only way the cruelty will stop is if the sport was banned entirely. And that isn't going to happen (although it should).

Best practice should be based on final criterion being the welfare of the greys. I saw it in one man & I saw the quality of greys coming thro' GAP. But that was only one person's snapshot view.

If the 'industry' can't be proactive in working towards that as a regulated norm (with independent policing) .... then who can blame increasing public calls to ban greyhound racing entirely. Just my impression, but every time there's an expose, those calls seem to get louder.

Even if it is the minority, the fact that the industry doesn't seem to be very proactive or vocal (from an outsider's perspective) in stamping out this despicable behaviour makes them look bad.

And then the question is raised as to whether it is the minority? I mean no one knows what is really going on behind closed doors.

That's pretty much how it is and nothing except a complete overhaul would ever change that.

It's an industry that could best be described as insular and whenever the "outside world" gets involved, it's usually for a bad reason (like one of these Four Corners specials). That lack of transparency is obviously one of the problems. Another problem is that it's a taught industry, for the most part. You learn it from your dad or your uncle or whatever- and the bad old ways are taught alongside newer stuff. I suspect there is probably some amount of change that happens naturally but it's not moving fast enough to keep up with modern welfare standards and probably never will.